Thread: Dyno results

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Dyno results

My setup consists of a Volant CAI, QTP 1 3/4 headers and a custom 3" Y-pipe going into a QTP electric cutout. Balance of exhaust goes thru the stock muffler (I'm old and like it quiet these days). Other than a 3.42 geared rearend (that I rebuilt) out of my buddies wrecked 99 M6 car, there are no other mods. Due to the LT's I no longer have cats or the AIR setup for them. Here are the results after my friend tuned the car on the dyno:

Cutout closed - 334.87 rwhp; 353.46 rwt.

Cutout open - 342.66 rwhp; 357.28 rwt.

This is a significant improvement over the original dyno I had done when the car was bone stock (308rwhp/332rwt). I imagine a set of true duals would improve on this even further, but I like the quiet approach on the street.

At the track (Firebird in Phoenix - yeah, high and dry) I've pulled a best of 13.14 @ 107 prior to the tune. Unfortunately the stock torque arm can't handle it anymore (wheel hop makes it feel as if it's gonna break) so I've got to wait til another friend fabs one up for me and I install it. Stay tuned for more details.

BTW: I know this isn't the fastest car out there but I figure I'm doing pretty good for an "old man" amongst all you kids. I also intend to further modify it as time and $$$ permits.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

DynoJet I assume??

Good numbers either way.
    Do you have the graphs by chance?? Post them up if so.

Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    DynoJet I assume??

Good numbers either way.
    Do you have the graphs by chance?? Post them up if so.
    what do u think my 01 SS should put down at the rear wheels with just the SLP cat back,the air box,and the mass air flow im going to take it in a few weeks or so to the dyno but me and a friend have a bet going and i was going to see what u thought?? thanks

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry01ss View Post
    what do u think my 01 SS should put down at the rear wheels with just the SLP cat back,the air box,and the mass air flow im going to take it in a few weeks or so to the dyno but me and a friend have a bet going and i was going to see what u thought?? thanks
    325 RWHP and 330 ft/pounds.
    Personally...I would put the stock MAF back on, but that is me. I prefer to run a little rich rather than lean.
    2-3 RWHP isn't worth my motor.

I made 320/333 with SLP loudmouth and SLP lid. Stock otherwise. M6 1999 T/A WS.6.

It also depends on the dyno.
    Tell me what kind of dyno, and I might be able to get closer. My guess was for a DynoJet.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

325 RWHP and 330 ft/pounds.
    Personally...I would put the stock MAF back on, but that is me. I prefer to run a little rich rather than lean.
    2-3 RWHP isn't worth my motor.

I made 320/333 with SLP loudmouth and SLP lid. Stock otherwise. M6 1999 T/A WS.6.

It also depends on the dyno.
    Tell me what kind of dyno, and I might be able to get closer. My guess was for a DynoJet.
    i think its a dynojet.. i told my friend about this web site and now he is on here hes got an 02 WS6 m6 and with just a cat back he put out 336rwhp...u got to love cars that put out that kind of power right out of the box...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

DynoJet's tend to give out better numbers than most.

To me, a dyno is nothing more than a tuning tool.
    Numbers are nice, but track times back it up.
    Good luck...every car is different...every dyno is different.

Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

thanks.. ya i need to get some people together and get to a track so i can see what she can do dut a hate the shifter in my car i need to get a better one then what came in it..

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Mine was on a 2 week old DynoJet that my buddy had installed at his shop. He is going to send me the file so I can post it but it wont be til next week.

FYI: Torque curve is 300+ from 2400 to 5700. A/F was a steady 12.5:1 (+/- .3) through out this rpm range. All adjustments were made using HPTuners to achieve this (cylinder balancing, fuel tables etc.).

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

This is exactly what I used it for. We smoothed it out and insured that there were no lean spots. The tune (we did a before and after) picked up 18rwhp and 14rwt.

Like I stated, I now have a bad wheel hop situation regardless of what tires I use. I have Nitto 555's on a pair of salad shooters for the track. I will go back to the track after my friend (he made my SFC's also) fabs up a new torque arm for me.

black
    00 ss camaro

as i see it.. dyno jets can be considered a tuning tool but i see dyno jets as penis enlargement tools

black
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry01ss View Post
    thanks.. ya i need to get some people together and get to a track so i can see what she can do dut a hate the shifter in my car i need to get a better one then what came in it..
    Get a pro 5.0 shifter im sure that would help you

They might give out "better" numbers, but they are by far the most consistent, and with no operator entered correction factors, unlike competing dynos, they're also the most legit. We did some testing between a Dyno Dynamics and a Dynojet 248, and the main difference was the DD was inconsistent and the DJ stayed true.
    Let me explain. We ran 3 cars on a DD, and the same 3 cars on a DJ 248. Same weather conditions, close in altitude, multiple pulls on all cars.
    Car no 1 was almost exactly the same from the DD to the DJ
    Car no 2 was pretty close on the HP readings between the 2, but the torque reading was down by 40 on the DD.
    Car no 3 was about 20 HP HIGHER on the DD than on the DJ. So much for the DJs giving out higher numbers..lol
    The biggest thing we've noticed concerning the different types of dynos, is that the dynojets all seem very close to each other in terms of repeatability. The others, mustangs, dyno dynamics, etc., seem to vary quite a bit due to operator entered "correction factors"
    PS when used as a tuning tool, any of them are good for showing improvements. Steady state load tuning, now thats where the eddy currents shine!!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Dyno results:

Thread Information