Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red
    02 SS camaro

driving 6 speed manual on ice

i got caught driving my 02 ss camaro (6 speed manual) on ice last night and it was the scariest thing in the world. What i did was try to make it so my rps were as low as possible. my friend told me that i should always drive in second gear? i tried starting in second gear but my tires just spinned. any advice at all would help. thanks

Red
    '72 Chevy C10 SWB

Replace wheels with tracks? Idk. I drove my 01 SS M6 for 2 winters in Utah because i had no other vehicle at school, and there were days i walked instead of driving lol. Luckily I never wrecked or got so stuck that I couldn't get out. I tried 2nd gear, even 3rd a few times, and would slip the clutch so bad it would make me cry, but still had trouble. I just tried to drive as little as possible and keep the car rolling (not come to a complete stop). Good luck!!!! Take it slow and be careful!!!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Go slow, keep the RPMs low and give yourself plenty of room to stop. Use the brakes sparingly, try to slow down using the brakes as little as possible.

blue
    1998 camaro z28

lots of weight in the trunk that helped me when i had my 99 i was 16 and my first winter sands bags put into a sheet (so sand cant get out) work well

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLS1 View Post
    Replace wheels with tracks? Idk. I drove my 01 SS M6 for 2 winters in Utah because i had no other vehicle at school, and there were days i walked instead of driving lol. Luckily I never wrecked or got so stuck that I couldn't get out. I tried 2nd gear, even 3rd a few times, and would slip the clutch so bad it would make me cry, but still had trouble. I just tried to drive as little as possible and keep the car rolling (not come to a complete stop). Good luck!!!! Take it slow and be careful!!!

Gotta love the Utah snow! She has only seen the snow twice and it was hell both times! The ASR Sucks with the M6!! I would find a cheap ass beater for the winter!

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

for slowing down use the gears and down shift. but i agree, dont drive it unless necessary. i drove mine on ice as well, felt like ice skating with a car. if you need to drive it, they also have studded tires.

SOM
    2001 WS6

These don't do well at all in snow (or ice). I got caught in it once when the car was 2 months old. Best solution is to not drive it and if need be, drive very slow. Keep the RPMs low and use higher gears. Ignore other people trying to get you to go faster. Let them pass you.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

Get a beater and just thank god you don't have an auto. You don't even get a chance to touch the gas with auto. They say bridgestone blizzaks (sp) tires are supposed to be great for winter time. Try a set of those. A friend with a cobra had them and said he could go anywhere in the winter.

Junior Member nevrfastenough01z's Avatar

black
    2001 Camaro Z28

get a set of cheap wheels that are thinner, put winter tires on them, and add weight.

Red
    2001 Z28

Yeah auto sux, Id slap a set of winter tires on there and hope for the best

Black
    2000 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by anniversary30 View Post
    Get a beater and just thank god you don't have an auto. You don't even get a chance to touch the gas with auto. They say bridgestone blizzaks (sp) tires are supposed to be great for winter time. Try a set of those. A friend with a cobra had them and said he could go anywhere in the winter.
    I just walk to work when it snows

Pewter
    2001 formula

i have an auto with 510 hp with drags and it snow a here in co a couple of days ago and that sucks ass

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Take your turns very slow and no gas. No ASR either it won't help. Tap your brakes or try not to use them if you don't need to...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

as i DD my car in winter (michigan) ..mine is an auto and i do alright..the trick is as little throttle as possible..and do a lot of rolling ..when ever changing lanes or turning..never hit the throttle ...however this year i just bought winter tires..and they are a god send..it takes work to fish tail in the slush and snow ..i just need to add some weight to the back now and i will be set...but still ..drive with common sense and you will be ok.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Don't let your foot fall asleep on the gas...lol. If the ice is that bad you could use chains right?

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

4th gear, braking well before coming to a stop and lots of weight in the back. that's how i got home in sleet!

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Also, almost every 275/40/17" tire is a summer rated tire that is never to be driven in cold temps. because the rubber compound cannot take it. Makes it like driving on rock hard slicks.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

My auto does okay in the snow until I try to get up my driveway. 30 degree incline that increases to 45 in the last 100 feet.
    Get a 4x4 suv or old pickup. Other thatn that. just follow the suggestions already made.
    I don't chains will work on the 4th gen. at least not with the stock wheels.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28 A4

Not a great idea to drive a rear wheel drive vehicle in slippery conditions especially low rpm-high torque rwd cars like ours. I had the misfortune of being caught in a sudden-no warning freezing rain. Needless to say, my car spun out of control going only 25 mph. The mere shifting of gears put me into that situation. Didn't help that I had a shift kit either. After that, I was within a mile of getting home and had to exit a road with a 25 percent incline and I ended up going sideways and back down the slope with oncoming traffic. Good thing some people had common sense and stopped. Took about six people to help coax my car back up the hill. And when I finally got home, I couldn't make it up the driveway. Car stayed parked on the street.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I had a buddy tell me once to upshift to slow down cuz downshifting will make you spin out dunno if its true I don't drive manuals in winter. My T/A handles just fine with the auto as long as you don't drive with your head up your ass. Then again I prefer RWD or 4WD vehicles to FWD vehicles in any road condition.

Thread Information