rice..a growing epidemic PAT-LS101's Avatar

blue
    2002 camaro z28 a4

Angry dont run your camaro low on fuel....

I decided to drive my camaro to work and it was low on fuel the gauge was on the E and the check gauges light was on. I figured it was ok to drive it to work cause its about 5 miles away and at lunch id fill it up. When I went to start it up it at lunch it would only crank, I had to prime it about 10 times then it finally started so I filled it up and ran it turned it off again and it did the same thing! So ive tested the fuel pressure which is between 55-60 psi which is normal I also tested the fuel injectors. When I hooked up the pressure gauge and released the pressure a bit of fuel came out as usual. After I did that it would crank fine and run for about a day and now its doing it again!!?? Once its started it runs just fine no sputtering nothing. Im sooo stumped on this any input would be great its a 2002 z28 a4 w/ 56000 miles thx

Green
    '98 Blazer

granted I have no camaro, but running a motor dry will sometimes suck crud into the fuel filter. Try some fuel system cleaner and see if that helps.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have heard that if you drive with very low fuel, you can overheat the fuel pump.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

You can overheat the pump, and put all kinds of junk into the fuel lines. Change the filter

blue
    2002 camaro z28 a4

update... I hooked up the fuel pressure gauge again, shows 60 psi released pressure again all is working ok for now??? starts up everytime... im thinking the check valve cause the pressure is there its just loosing it out of the lines after prolonged sitting.... I am going to change the filter and going to run some sea foam through it as well

SOM
    01 Camaro SS

i once did the same thing. when i tried to pump gas, the vacume line inside the tank wouldnt release the lil ball inside the fuel tank.i pumped gas and it would take more than .30cents. the fuel ended up spilling all over the floor. i used a coat hanger to unclog it.sure enough the damn tank spit the fuel back at me. I got showered with fuel. after that it was fine. the car was able to fill up with fuel.it kept doing that on and off.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yes, ive heard nothing but bad things about running these cars very low on fuel, i usually never let mine get below 1/4 tank, idk that just me being paranoid i guess

blue
    2002 camaro z28 a4

yeah... it was the first time and its going to be the last... the car is still doing good after I released pressure with the fuel pressure gauge...

NBM
    2002 Camaro

I always gripped at my mom for this, she would run it til the fuel light came on everytime and then one day coming home the fuel pump went out on her. Got to love them "told you so" moments with your parents.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

I have never had a problem, I have ran mine on the E for the 60k miles that is on it and never had a problem. Knock on wood..lol

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

The 98s dont have a low fuel light and have smaller tank, I was on 1/8 tank taking my gf home one night and run into a car pileup and had to detour about 40 miles.. if you baby the gas you can get great MPG...otherwise I would have been walking

Thread Information