Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Question Difference in SS/Z28?

I saw another post that kinda asked this same question but not quite...

I am going to be buying a Camaro SS or a Z28.. Obvisouly the hood and spoiler is different.. But the SS has like 20 more hp right? And why? And also I thought I read somewhere that the SS's had better suspension upgrades over the z28, and could handle more power... How accurate am I? Thanks guys

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelmanLS1 View Post

I am going to be buying a Camaro SS or a Z28.. Obvisouly the hood and spoiler is different.. But the SS has like 20 more hp right? And why? And also I thought I read somewhere that the SS's had better suspension upgrades over the z28, and could handle more power... How accurate am I? Thanks guys
    there is really no difference in hp. Wayy less than 20hp. Z28 vs. SS dyno all the similar #s. You are correct - its the hood, spoiler, and better suspension, and the rims too. There are also a few better exhaust,intake, and further suspensions choices available from SLP. But overall the differences are more visual than anything.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    there is really no difference in hp. Wayy less than 20hp. Z28 vs. SS dyno all the similar #s. You are correct - its the hood, spoiler, and better suspension, and the rims too. There are also a few better exhaust,intake, and further suspensions choices available from SLP. But overall the differences are more visual than anything.
    Well that's what I needed to know.. So as far at the track they will run the same? You say better suspension... Does that mean if I get the car at around 400rwhp the SS suspension would hold up, but the Z28's wouldn't? Is it that much better or what.. Thanks again

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

GM advertised a difference in HP, but there is no 20 HP difference. In theory, the SS has the hood that supposedly is ram air functional which allows for the HP difference. The LS1 motor in an SS is the same LS1 motor that you will find in a Z28. If you want to believe that the hood/ram air will create a 20 HP difference between the 2 models, then I have some ebay auction links I need to send you.

The SS does have a little bit better suspension from the factory, but if you are going to be modding, does it really matter?

If you want an SS for the hood, spoiler, & build #, then buy an SS. Otherwise, there is no difference.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    GM advertised a difference in HP, but there is no 20 HP difference. In theory, the SS has the hood that supposedly is ram air functional which allows for the HP difference. The LS1 motor in an SS is the same LS1 motor that you will find in a Z28. If you want to believe that the hood/ram air will create a 20 HP difference between the 2 models, then I have some ebay auction links I need to send you.

The SS does have a little bit better suspension from the factory, but if you are going to be modding, does it really matter?

If you want an SS for the hood, spoiler, & build #, then buy an SS. Otherwise, there is no difference.
    Well thank you.. So performance is no difference.. But what about interior differences?

Awaiting Activation
    Well thank you.. So performance is no difference.. But what about interior differences?
    interior has no differences at all. But SS cars generally have more options on them such as leather.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    interior has no differences at all. But SS cars generally have more options on them such as leather.
    Thank you very much guys

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Keep believing the the SS has that 20 extra HP and I'll keep taking your 20 extra dollars when you race my Z28......

And most of the Z's have leather also....

SSMOKIN_SS
    There may only be the apperance mods but I think they make the car look a lot better than the Z.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

... then again, i really like the rather understated looks of my Z. people don't really expect the beast inside.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yea cuz our cars look like seibrings made by chrystler

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28 A4

I like my Z cuz if you take the Emblems off the car looks like a V6 car with duals untill you fire that monster up!! Then it is all buisness!!

white
    2002 z28

i have a z and the only thing that a ss has that i want is the lil bigger rims. i have 245's and the ss comes w 275. but i will be changing out soon anyways soo its all up to you.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

how bout the difference between an slp ss and a regular ss guys???????????? just like a firehawk/ws6 difference......on SOME slp ss's the suspension is upgraded further....not sure of ALL the details but u had a choice between bilstein and on some rare occations koni shocks...believe the front sway bar is bigger as well at 35mm ....but im not positive

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    how bout the difference between an slp ss and a regular ss guys???????????? just like a firehawk/ws6 difference......on SOME slp ss's the suspension is upgraded further....not sure of ALL the details but u had a choice between bilstein and on some rare occations koni shocks...believe the front sway bar is bigger as well at 35mm ....but im not positive
    well, they all start out as a SS. You then have your choice of chevy options and then on top of that are the SLP performance options.

Babies: 2 Girls, 5 FBods FBODYREDDEVIL's Avatar

of my F-Bodies
    Too tough to pick just 1

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    how bout the difference between an slp ss and a regular ss guys????????????
    Along with the SS suspension, hood and spoiler, SLP offered a Bilstein stage II Suspension, loudmouth exhaust, key fobs, dash plaque, floor mats, chrome 17" wheels, Auburn diff, Hurst shifter, SS grille, and synthetic oil package. These were available in multiple combinations.

pewter
    02 CAMARO SS

i believe the SS has an aluminum block and the Z28 has an iron block. along with everything else listed above

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by jonj601 View Post
    i believe the SS has an aluminum block and the Z28 has an iron block. along with everything else listed above
    no no no! every LSX car motor is all aluminum

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by jonj601 View Post

Please step away from the vehicle.......

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information