Junior Member jason_a_marzewski's Avatar

BRIGHT RALLY RED
    2002 CAMARO Z28RS

Difference Between Model Years

18 October 2007

I'd hoped to have had the opportunity to reply to secondgearscratch's message regarding his opinion about my one of my posts in which I explained the factory performance variations between 1998 - 2000 Camaros and their 2001 - 2002 model-year counterparts, but the thread was closed before I could reply.

I enjoy hanging out with you guys because many of you offer clarity and insight into our cars, and I enjoy learning from, and with, you. While I appreciate secondgearscratch's candor in his reply to my message (both are below), here is a direct quotation from Chevrolet's 2001 Camaro viewbook, Page 4, second paragraph:

"In 2001, the LS1 camshaft and intake were modified to fatten up the mid-range torque, and SS drivers will really feel that, especially in the 2,000 - 5,000 rmp range."

Articles in GM High-Tech Performance, Super Chevy, Hot Rod, Popular Hot Rodding, and Motor Trend--as well as articles published by online authors--also reference and acknowledge this difference between the model years.

Additionally, the LS6 Corvette intake manifold was installed on many 2002 cars (GM High-Tech Performance had a really cool feature article on how to tell whether or not your car has one of these goodies).

I don't claim to know everything about Camaros; that's why I hang out here to research, investigate, listen, learn, and then apply that knowledge to my own car and the advice I give.

So, based upon my research, I stand behind what I wrote in my comment about our friend's 1999 Camaro. And that's why, if I had to choose, I'd rather have a stock 2001 - 2002 Camaro instead of a 1999 edition.

And yes, that's my opinion.

ORIGINAL REFERENCED POST:
    1999 wasn't the best year for 4th-gens; the development team at GM was sill perfecting the vehicle and the intake manifolds and torque curves weren't as effective as those in their 2001 - 2002 counterparts. (That's sort of a small detail, but worth mentioning. I'd much rather have a stock 2001- 2002 Camaro than a 1999 for those reasons alone.)

REPLY FROM SECONDGREARSCRATCH:
    this is a load of donkey shit. but youre opinion is just that, your opinion.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jason_a_marzewski View Post
    Additionally, the LS6 Corvette intake manifold was installed on many 2002 cars (GM High-Tech Performance had a really cool feature article on how to tell whether or not your car has one of these goodies).
    ALL 2001 and 2002 fbodies received the LS6 intake manifold.

The following link is also a sticky in this forum about all the differences between the fbody years.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27515
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Junior Member jason_a_marzewski's Avatar

BRIGHT RALLY RED
    2002 CAMARO Z28RS

You Are Right

18 October 2007

Dude, thanks for your prompt follow-up; I appreciate your immediate clarification.

And you are right, all 2001 and 2002 F-Bodies did receive the LS6 intake manifold. When I wrote my initial comments, I meant to say LS6 block instead of manifold. (I was looking out of the corner of my eye at the manifold in the diagram of the engine depicted in the Camaro viewbook and accidentally transposed the information. I feel very old, now.)

For those who are reading this thread, here is the correct information:

2001 F-Body
    1. A small percentage of 2001 and 2002 LS1s actually had LS6 blocks which had a different part number and a darker metal cast
    2. Starting 2001, all LS1s came with an LS6 intake manifold without an EGR system

2002 F-Body
    3. 2002 cars continued with the LS6 intake, 28 lb fuel inectors and smaller truck cam
    4. 2002 continued the use of an LS6 block in some LS1 F-bodies

Thanks again for catching my mistake and bringing the correct facts to my attention.

Thread Information