Debating if I should by 1998 Z28 - Any advice?

Hello Community,

I am new to the LS1 community and to sports cars in general. Computers is my sweet spot, you can ask my anything about it and I can help! However, when it comes to cars, I am slowly learning!

I sold my GSX-R a few months ago and have been interested in Trans Am's or Camaro's. I really like the way they look and sound with SLP Loudmouth exhaust. I have been looking for a 1998-1999 Trans Am or Camaro (which ever fits my price range or I can get at a good price) for a few months now. All the ones (in my price range $4,500-$5,500) I have looked at are not in the greatest condition. They either have ripped liners, shattered dashes, or leather is tore to shreds. I know it will not be perfect, but would prefer one where I don't have to dump a lot of money into it.

Right now, I am looking at a 1998 Trans Am ($5,700 or best offer) and I am going to see it tomorrow. However, I was looking on the web tonight and found this 1998 Camaro Z28 for sale. It has 174,416 miles. It is going for $2,995? Is it worth the $3K and getting with 174K miles? Is there any potential/foreseeable problems if the future that I may encounter?

Here is the Carfax: CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 1998 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28

Here is the car: 1998 Chevrolet Camaro $2,995 - Coughlin Automotive - London - London, OH 43140 Dealer

Any advice from the LS1 community would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CP
    Last edited by fastls1ta; 12-02-2012 at 06:01 PM.

I personally don't buy cars with miles that high (unless it's a classic and I'm tearing it completely down anyway).

It's cheap to get into a good 4th gen with lower miles than that. I'd hate to see someone make their first experience with a 4th gen a bad one. With that many miles you'll probably have alot of minor issues that will need to be addressed and then just hope that there aren't any major issues too. One that has been very well cared for with 150k plus usually isn't too much trouble, but unfortunately the younger generation has run most of them into the ground as you are finding out.

Also your plans for the car play a roll. If you plan a drivetrain build the mileage isn't much concern. If you plan to hotrod the existing engine, then mileage would be a concern in my opinion. Just a driver to get around town? Not much concern.

Hard to get a good one with a tight budget like that. If you could bump that up to the $8k range and be willing to travel, it will open up alot more choices. Probably still 6 figure mileage, but much better shape in some cases. Happy hunting.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 12-04-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Oh, the car in question. Looks clean in the pics, but as always, checking it over in person is best. You'll find things you can't see in pictures. Let us know how it turns out.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

like fbj said.....that's a lot of miles unless you're planning on an engine. The price is very low though so that gives you some room to play with. I would personally keep looking.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I would check out the 2995.00 car. It is an M6 so you will have to check the clutch then move to the rear, if it is a stock 10 bolt then listen for unusual noises and clunks. Then there is the engine, bring a mechanic along and if all is thght then offer 2500.00 and put the other 3k in the bank for repairs in the future. 5k is not going to buy you very much. Like FBJ said, you are going to have to go over 8k to get something decent. If you are good with a wrench and have a second car, this one may be for you.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thank you all for your advice. Since the 1998 has high miles, what do you think about this one?

I looked for a 2000 + and here is what I found. 2000 Z 28 for sale.
    Here is the description for the car:

"We have a gorgeous Camaro for sale here at Prestige. This is the Z28 with the 5.7 liter V8 engine and an automatic transmission. This car is in excellent condition inside and out and is guaranteed to turn some heads! It has T-Tops, alloy wheels with 4 brand new tires, rear spoiler, power windows, locks, mirrors, tilt wheel, power seats, leather interior, CD player, AC, and dual air bags. It runs great with no problems to worry about and it only has 123k miles on it! Come out today to check it out!"

It is at a smaller mom and pop dealer. I called and spoke to the lady about the car. She said they bought it from an auction and her husband drove it for a while. They are asking $5500, but she would take %5100 + tax. It has a small rip on the driver seat (which you can see in the pictures).

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

For 5g's I would take the Trans Am over that Camaro anyday. That Camaro looks rough, rust spots in the engine bay everywhere and the interior looks bad too.

Thread Information