Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    04 gto

Convince me to trade in my GTO

Right now i have a 2004 GTO m6 with the ls1 it's a nice car but i like the way a SS looks.. ive got my eye on an 2001 SS with t tops but it's automatic... it only has 31,xxx miles on it

My question is will i be dissapointed?? i don't wanna get it and it be hella slow
    help!

i don't wanna mod it too much it already has the center exhuast with rear lip so

Silver
    2002 Z28

This is why they offer test drives! Go take it for a spin, you won't be dissapointed, but worst case scenario, bolt on some headers and new piping leading up to the CME tips, throw a lid or other intake on it, and then gear it to your liking.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

I wouldn't worry about a SS Auto being slow, in these cars they make the same rear wheel hp,+ are computer shifted, My auto feels more impressive then my 6-speed, I love it, All the power is always imedietly available any speed any gear, You nail it + its imedietly in its power band, + talk about a tire burner.
    Not only will you not find it "hella slow" I'll bet it's Faster then the goat.+ So much better looking.
    The center exaust is a nice option. What color is the car?
    I'm not sure if the SS Auto, automatically got the 323's
    (option code gu5 on the door tag + called the perf axle pkg)instead of the 273 gears or if they had to be ordered like on the Z, but you can check if its got that the 323's will help.
    Mine has 323's, slight converter, (I believe 2400 stall)
    shift kit,cat back,+ a lid/k+n. Mine went Traction limited 13.0.
    The SS will already have the cat back, + the Ramair is better then the lid. So if you find it slow, (Which I doubt) A converter + shift kit should do the trick, + if you don't go crazy on the converter, I'ts totally streetable. I think you'll be surprised how good these automatics go. + I'm a manual trans fan,I've had many mustangs in the past + wouldn't consider an auto in those. But in these they just work well,At least mine does, This is my 1st ls1 auto, so i dont know if its all because of the converter/shift kit. It seems like every time i test drove the auto's i walked away more impressed then with the m6's i drove.
    Moral of the Story; Don't be afraid you will find an LS1
    auto slow. Put the goat out to pasture.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

The SS will probably be just as fast as your GTO, since it weighs less, but it has the disadvantage of being an auto. Personally I would never trade an M6 for an A4, to me that gets rid of 50% of the fun.

You'll also be trading a lot of refinement for a more hard-edged sports car. It will ride harder, have more road noise, more creaks and rattles, and the interior is much lower quality and less ergonomic than the GTO's.

Its your call, I don't want to convince you of anything. Just go with the car that you like better, but take into account the real advantages and disadvantages of each, because once you trade you're stuck with it.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Id say if you like the looks buy the car. Both cars are about equal in performance.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by the angry goat View Post
    Right now i have a 2004 GTO m6 with the ls1 it's a nice car but i like the way a SS looks.. ive got my eye on an 2001 SS with t tops but it's automatic... it only has 31,xxx miles on it

My question is will i be dissapointed?? i don't wanna get it and it be hella slow
    help!

i don't wanna mod it too much it already has the center exhuast with rear lip so
    I have a 2001 SS T-tops, a4 and I love it. Sure a m6 is fun to drive but only real performance advantage is in the curves and a little better gas milage. With the a4 sure is nice not having to shift in heavy traffic. From a dead stop when I turn off traction control it will smoke the tires and cross up on u if u aint careful. Enough power to set u back in the seat. Had mine up to 138 mph with plenty left. All stock.

red
    04 gto

Thanks for the feedback guys, i took it on a test drive and they really would let me get on it all bad ass. i tried looking for the SLP sticker on the door and it was there but it was blank just a white sticker that said SLP in the upper left corner it was on both doors. it's a real SS it's red with T tops with brown leather interior.. with the chrome SS rims center exhuast

I was just worried because the GTO ls1 is stronger than the camaro... but the camaro looks SO much nicer, and i have MANY more rims options.. botton line is i would pay about the same per month but the gto is an 04 with 13k on it and the camaro is a 01 with 38k on it.

Damitt!! i don't know what to do.. i was hella mad because the GTO sounds awsome but at the track i'm only runnin like 14.0 WTF it feels like a heavy beast... but true the interior is amazing

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

then wait for an M6 SS to show up and see what you think. if all you are going to do is limit yourself by not wanting this or not wanting to mod it, then keep what you have.

also write down the VIN# and run it to see if it is a true SS, no sense in getting screwed, so do your research...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Sounds like your not happy with the goat,+ you only live once. Plus if i remember right,those are independant rear cars,does it wheel hop on launch?
    Remember, You said to Convince You.
    Maybe you should look to trade up to a 05 goat,
    Then you get the ls2 + 400 hp (more power) + all the asthetic upgrades of the 05 (Better looks) Best of both worlds + get to have the nicer interior better ride etc.
    Problem solved, glad i could help.I'll send you my bill.

Silver
    1999 Camaro

Get something cheap. Wait a couple of years and buy the 2009 Camaro!!!

red
    04 gto

Thanks guys, i think i'll just keep the goat and maybe put some shorties on it maybe an x pipe and be happy at least i don't see them everyday.... and when i do i think they are are a grand am

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I was just worried because the GTO ls1 is stronger than the camaro... but the camaro looks SO much nicer, and i have MANY more rims options.. botton line is i would pay about the same per month but the gto is an 04 with 13k on it and the camaro is a 01 with 38k on it.

Damitt!! i don't know what to do.. i was hella mad because the GTO sounds awsome but at the track i'm only runnin like 14.0 WTF it feels like a heavy beast... but true the interior is amazing
    The ls1 in the goat has the same power as a f-bod ls1...but a f-bod does have a good weight advantage so stock for stock it's a good .5+ faster...also the solid rear in a f-bod is easier to launch then a independant in the goat.

Sticks impress high school kids....stalled autos win drag races

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    The ls1 in the goat has the same power as a f-bod ls1...but a f-bod does have a good weight advantage so stock for stock it's a good .5+ faster...also the solid rear in a f-bod is easier to launch then a independant in the goat.

My bone stock (NO MODS) WS6 went 13.46 on street tires... By the way I was running next to my buddies 05 GTO m6 w/headers, catback, cai, and a tune. The goat went 13.77, which was his best run....

red
    04 gto

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post

ummm last time i checked the ls1 in the GTO was 350hp rated not 310(z28) nor 325 (ss)

However i do agree with you on the weight difference.

another problem is wheel clearance it's had to put tires bigger than 275 on the back due to rubbing issues

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Don't pay attention to those factory ratings. Its very common knowledge that the LS1 in the fbods is way underrated from the factory. The LS1 in the GTO is no stronger than the Fbody LS1.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

red
    04 gto

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Don't pay attention to those factory ratings. Its very common knowledge that the LS1 in the fbods is way underrated from the factory. The LS1 in the GTO is no stronger than the Fbody LS1.

The gto has different heads on it. as well and true dual low restriction exhuast thus resulting in the 350 mark.

no y pipe for me

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

i would take the SS for a test drive and decide after that. you have a sweet ride alredy, and why not add to the GTO. just make it stand out a little more. do some things that will set your ride apart from everyone else.
    Whisper Lid/SLP HarmonicBalancer/MAFTranslator/DiabloTuner A-Pillar Gauges (Aem Uego A/F,Trans Temp, D-Pic)Magnaflow CB w/CME Tips/ Eibach Pro Kit/ Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/ H.I.D.Kit

black
    '99 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    Had mine up to 138 mph with plenty left. All stock.
    lol, they just paved the interstate here, i had to get a diablosport tuner to get rid of limiter.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

The gto has different heads on it. as well and true dual low restriction exhuast thus resulting in the 350 mark.

no y pipe for me
    I have a friend with an 02 SS with only a lid and it went 355 hp at the fly wheel on a dyno

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by sobaka79 View Post
    lol, they just paved the interstate here, i had to get a diablosport tuner to get rid of limiter.
    sweet

Thread Information