Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Common problems at 60k Miles?

2000 Z28 M6
    65,xxx MI

My car is going in the shop soon for some stuff.. mainly the check engine light came on randomly the other day. still idles fine, drives fine, same gas mileage, etc... no problems noticed other than this light being on.

Also, the coolant has a chocolate-milk-looking-crustyness on the coolant dipstick (posted in another thread about this), and i was told it might be oil in the coolant and that coolant needs to be flushed every 5 years..

What could the check engine light mean is wrong? Possibly an O2 Sensor? (already checked the gas cap, heard that could be it..)

i was just wondering what you guys typically fix around 60k or 70k miles..?

Red
    2001 LS-1 Camaro SS

What I heard

Since the car has a computer....It is most likely programed to light up at whatever mileage G.M decides.....The dealer can turn off the light with the computer or a series of events......Hold button ? and tap brake pedal twice...etc

Regular maintenance is the best for any car.....My mechanic just keeps it running at peak performance. He has a computer and can turn of certain lights
    but not all.......Ask questions at the dealership..........Maybe they will give you some straight answers.....But I doubt it.....

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    2000 Z28 M6
    65,xxx MI

My car is going in the shop soon for some stuff.. mainly the check engine light came on randomly the other day. still idles fine, drives fine, same gas mileage, etc... no problems noticed other than this light being on.

Also, the coolant has a chocolate-milk-looking-crustyness on the coolant dipstick (posted in another thread about this), and i was told it might be oil in the coolant and that coolant needs to be flushed every 5 years..

What could the check engine light mean is wrong? Possibly an O2 Sensor? (already checked the gas cap, heard that could be it..)

Without getting a code, it's impossible to tell what the problem is. 100's of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by barkmouth View Post
    Since the car has a computer....It is most likely programed to light up at whatever mileage G.M decides.....The dealer can turn off the light with the computer or a series of events......Hold button ? and tap brake pedal twice...etc

Regular maintenance is the best for any car.....My mechanic just keeps it running at peak performance. He has a computer and can turn of certain lights
    but not all.......Ask questions at the dealership..........Maybe they will give you some straight answers.....But I doubt it.....
    I think you are thinking of the change oil light. The SES light only illuminates when the computer detects something wrong with the emissions system. Such as a loose gas cap or evap system leak, faulty sensors, engine misfires, lean/rich...etc.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

2000 Z28 M6
    65,xxx MI

I cant realy think of anything that is a "typical fix" around that mileage, as long as you do routine maintence you should be good to go and like said above without the code its a shot in the wind. You said you checked your gas cap but did you "reset" the light afterwards? When your mechanic scans the codes post them up and we can help ya further.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

driving home yesterday, the check engine light went off...

hahaha

so i guess i wont know.

idk, i guess i'll have the shop do the coolant flush atleast, because that needs to be done

oh, what about transmission fluid? my buddy who has a 95 lt1 did his and he told me he read people use ATF in our transmissions?

is this true? When should M6 Transmission fluid be changed?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

driving home yesterday, the check engine light went off...

hahaha

so i guess i wont know.

idk, i guess i'll have the shop do the coolant flush atleast, because that needs to be done

oh, what about transmission fluid? my buddy who has a 95 lt1 did his and he told me he read people use ATF in our transmissions?

is this true? When should M6 Transmission fluid be changed?
    Yes the OEM fluid used is ATF. You should change it based on your driving habits. I changed mine when I first bought my car at 40k miles, and changed it again at 45k...3 years later

Red
    2001 LS-1 Camaro SS

Thanks Guys ...I am learning already.........

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Yes the OEM fluid used is ATF. You should change it based on your driving habits. I changed mine when I first bought my car at 40k miles, and changed it again at 45k...3 years later
    so what are some commonly used fluids for that?

i think my friend said he used toyota ATF because he heard it was good stuff?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

go over to autozone and have them go out with their scan tool and pull the code for you and give you a list of possible causes.

i just changed the trans fluid in my manual last summer (3000 miles ago at around 105k) and used dexron VI fluid since it calls for dex III (dex VI is the replacement for dex III).

1999 Chevy Camaro z28

Your coolant is just the dex cool gettin nasty like it normally does lol just get it flushed and you will be ok!!!

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by t5munoz View Post
    Your coolant is just the dex cool gettin nasty like it normally does lol just get it flushed and you will be ok!!!
    I wouldn't use dex cool if I were you. It's hard on the gasket seals and can cause them to leak and get oil in the coolant. I use prestone 50/50 mixture and she runs just fine. It's a newer formula that is better for the gasket seals.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    I wouldn't use dex cool if I were you. It's hard on the gasket seals and can cause them to leak and get oil in the coolant. I use prestone 50/50 mixture and she runs just fine. It's a newer formula that is better for the gasket seals.
    Incorrect. This is the biggest misconception with Dexcool. The damage to the gasket is the result of not flushing your cooling system at the correct time/mileage intervals. Aluminum oxide sediment builds up and is what causes the gaskets to fail. Dexcool has a operating life of 5 years or 100k miles (whichever occurs first) and then needs to be changed. You'll be right as rain if you stick to the maintenance schedule.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Incorrect. This is the biggest misconception with Dexcool. The damage to the gasket is the result of not flushing your cooling system at the correct time/mileage intervals. Aluminum oxide sediment builds up and is what causes the gaskets to fail. Dexcool has a operating life of 5 years or 100k miles (whichever occurs first) and then needs to be changed. You'll be right as rain if you stick to the maintenance schedule.
    I've always been told otherwise. All my drag racing buddies say it's bad so idk. Mines got right at 66,048 on the clock and it's an 01. The coolant got to a brown gunky condition so I went ahead and flushed it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

The "check engine" could likely be an intermittent problem in the air pump. Mine went out at 36k and the dash light stays on. Not critical at all nor is it dangerous. Run your car by a parts house and have them run a code scanner on it, to be sure.

Arctic White
    2001 WS.6

I drained all my coolent at about 57,000 when I did heads/cam. Coolent looked fine and I put Dexcool back in. Never any problems.

Thread Information