ASE and I-Car certified Crzy Lgs's Avatar

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Cold air intake?

Alright I have the slp setup on my car and noticed that the new lid eliminates the hood scoop functionality. So I was thinking of purchasing and modifying the Volant setup to use both the fresh air from under the car with the ducting of the slp and still being able to have the hood functionalwith the volant? Performance Gains?Or waste of time and money?
    Heads, Cam, CAI, MAF, LT, ORY,GMMG Catback and Tune= 405.21rwhp, 390.7rwtq

white
    2000 Z28

bad idea you are much better off with only one airway. 2 airways collide and cause turbulence as opposed to one smooth airway. go either bottom feeder or hood. i would assume bottom feeder goes way better than the hood for the fact that the ss hood has to make a full 360 degree turn before going into the intake assembly and would end up lowering your cfm. and the free ram air mod or ducting that can be put there has a much bigger opening that the ram air hoods have. so in other words waste of money.

None

I like having the function to the hood scoop... yet U have done more
    to Ur car then me! My 533hp is at the fly... I started my profile that way
    now it is very hard to change! Well without starting over! If you can get cold air induction w/o the hood scoop, then does it really matter??? That is your call, money and other factors are Ur choice. I am trying to make my car faster without losing the stock stuff, have all my stock parts... the ones that matter! Exhaust is all gone, who cares. I did not help much? I think in your car go by money value/HP.

Robert

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Never even thought of the turbulence effect it would have thanks for the input.

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

The truth is....no one really knows. I have had both the SLP Lid w/ the free ram air mod and now I have the Volant intake system. Both intakes work well. You dont have to worry about hydrolocking you engine with the Volant, unlike the other intake. I went with safety! I will tell you this...you can feel and hear the air being sucked into the hood scoop when the hood is closed at idle with the Volant intake! That is good enough for me!!!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

white
    2000 Z28

think of it as 2 lines of people going into 1 doorway. now what is smoother 2 lines or 1. that is as simple as i can put it.

blue
    1999 camaro ss #976

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    The truth is....no one really knows. I have had both the SLP Lid w/ the free ram air mod and now I have the Volant intake system. Both intakes work well. You dont have to worry about hydrolocking you engine with the Volant, unlike the other intake. I went with safety! I will tell you this...you can feel and hear the air being sucked into the hood scoop when the hood is closed at idle with the Volant intake! That is good enough for me!!!
    u have pic thx

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Go with the volant b/c of functionanlity and the cool factor. That the reason i went with a K&N. Everyone said it wouldnt make a difference but hear the air being sucked at idle is cool. Either way i got if for the cost of a lid.

blue

i try it oredy and dosent make any more power

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks for the input guys, but like I said I already have the slp setup installed. I was just thinking if it would be to my advantage to purchase then modify the Volant to use a combination of both. I personally like getting the airflow from below the car where it would be cooler. Heat rises. Again thanks. Oh and I only drive it on sunny weekend days don't have to worry about sucking up water.
    Last edited by Crzy Lgs; 12-15-2008 at 09:40 AM.

I use both the factory SS ram air setup and the free ram air mod underneath along with the SLP cold air pack.

It works fine. The clashing of air theory is just that. It's easy enough to try for yourself. On the same day at the track I taped each airway off and made a series of passes. With one or the other it seemed to be a toss up with my car. With both open and several more passes I bettered the other times by 1 tenth and almost 1 mph consistently. No air clashing on my car. It was definately slightly quicker with both airways open.

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS
    u have pic thx
    Sorry, no pic's yet! I am currently working on my engine bay and will take some pic's soon. I modified the T/A Volant air box b/c I liked the dual filter set up. I am also using Air Raid filters. I didn't like the blue from Volant. As soon as I clean it up a little better, I will send some pics.

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Nice Cat....HOMO!

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

??both set ups??

so am i getting the gist of this: my ta will have ram air from the hood, can i also double it up with theritically twice the ammount of air flow with the under the car set up leading to the bottom of the box as well?

Quote Originally Posted by walt's 98 ta View Post
    so am i getting the gist of this: my ta will have ram air from the hood, can i also double it up with theritically twice the ammount of air flow with the under the car set up leading to the bottom of the box as well?
    Thats what I did on both of my SS's. I tested one at the track and found it beneficial.
    If in dought,,,take a roll of duct tape to the track. You can easily block one or the other off and make successive passes and see how the car responds,,,thats what I did. I found mine ran the best with both the hood and the lower free ram air mod working together.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Nice Cat....HOMO!
    Confused, don't c a cat.

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

It was his profile pic. Just a joke!

None

It was his profile pic. Just a joke!
    It was funny...!

It is my profile pic. He has stuck by me forever...
    Well, and I kinda like the crap it brings! Then there
    is the fact that gals, love cats/animals. I am not here
    for the guys... Get the picture? LOL

Looking for my Hot Rod babe!!!

Robert

PS: my cat is not a Homo either!
    He lost the good stuff, and might be cute?
    Well He might bite Ur @ss off, just because
    I asked him to?

Thread Information