Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Check Engine Soon Light..

Here is the deal. About 1 month ago.. i had the same problem. The damn check egnine light came on.. and at the time i still had GM Warrenty.. so the dealer took care of it. They replaced a 02 senso or what not.

I went up there yesterday to see if that can get the code. And since my warrenty has gone over.. they said its $74 bucks just to scan it. So that plus however much it is for a sensor, bc im thinking that thats the problem.

So is there somewhere else i can take it besides a dealer to get something like this fixed? And how would i know its a 02 sensor?

Thanks!

Get the code read free at someplace like auto zone and see if it's the same code as before. Could be something else going on, but if it's the same sensor issue as a month ago talk to the dealer.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Hmm. Didnt know Auto Zone did that stuff.

Talking to my dealer is a joke! Since my warrenty is out, unless they get money they act like ''its broke'' not my problem.

A nice Email to GM can handle that.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

Autozone will read the code then the place you take it to will tell you that you still have to pay $80 for them to rescan it. It's very irritating. I have an AIR system problem which as I understand it doesn't even need to be on the vehicle at all. They want $80 bucks to scan it. I've got 3 scan reports from 3 different places what do I need you to scan it for? I need someone to actually tell me what it will cost to either fix it or just remove it. No, I can't have that. I'm convinced if I let them scan it this is going to be a $400 bill just to replace a $3 valve. So I drive around with the light on every day banging my head against the window. The shop that didn't charge for the scan told me to take it on down the road because he just doesn't know? Say what?

My father came over and his tirod or something was broken. I went with him to the liquor store and it's banging like mad. He tries to tell me it's a bushing and pops the hood. I looked behind the tire and a rod is just hanging there. So we go to Firestone right. What do they say. $21.99 to visually inspect the vehicle! I'm like no no we are leaving it's assanine to tell us it's $21.99 we can see the thing swinging with no bolt on it. Seriously what the hell? I suppose they'll charge you $26.99 to fix a flat tire. $5 for the plug and $21.99 for the visual certified inspection. I had to walk out because well... I just can't take it. I'm fine with paying to fix something but I just can't take this paying for nothing. Nobody pays me for nothing, ever.
    Last edited by ezwip; 12-02-2008 at 01:47 PM.

Auto Zone is just a place to get the code read free if you don't have anything to scan/check the car yourself. Next step is post the code so others can chime in...sometimes it's something easy and/or people have been there before. What's your AIR code?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

just buy a code reader, simple ODBII's are about $100 use it once and its paid for

Black
    02 Z28 M6

The code thrown is AIR Systems Bank 1. The mechanics that looked at it so far can't even find the AIR System and tell me to take it to Firestone. Then Firestone wants $80 bucks to run their scan. I guess they have a super duper scanner that pinpoints problems? These guys all had scanners too.

red
    2002 z/28

never trust another mechanics diagnosis,every place you take it to will want to charge you another fee.Firestone has a pretty good warranty and a 1-800-get-free number if they dont fix it right the first time.do you have the code?
    Last edited by crazy dave ls1; 12-03-2008 at 02:34 PM.

white
    97 z28/SS

yea did you get what code was being thrown??

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Ok guys i went and got the code..

P0420

Catalyst Efficiency
    Below Threshold
    (Bank 1)

Thats the sensor on the exhaust?

Thanks
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Basically you need a new catalytic converter on bank 1, there is a 10 year warranty on cats from GM if I'm not mistaken, the dealer should replace if for free.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Yea i was told that in a different thread, I just got the dealer to understand that the NEED to be replaced. They want to scan it for them self's, and for them to scan a car its like 75 bucks. I got the scan done for free at Advance.. and thats how i got the code.

red
    2002 z/28

I'm pretty sure its 7year/70000 mile warranty.If you meet that criteria they wont charge you to scan it but if your over that your done.I had both of mine replaced the first @ 67000 miles the second @ 69000 miles for free.then I did headers with cat delete.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

This is the perfect time to replace your exhaust system with an aftermarket LT header system complete with high performance cats (if you want or need them to pass emissions) and be done with it.
    Screw the Firestone dealer, and the Chevy dealer too, as this exact same thing happened to me when I owned my 2001 SS Camaro.
    In addition to all the BS you went through, the dealer insisted on doing a 50,000 mile service on my car too!
    I looked him right in the eye and said "You've got to be f*ing kidding me, I've been looking for an excuse to put a good set of headers on this car anyway, you just gave it to me" and got in the car and left.
    This same asshole Service Advisor looked at the car when I arrived and said "Hmmm That's an SS, they have a V8 in them right?"
    Yea asshole and it's rear wheel drive too....what a dick!
    They love those SES lights...it's their little cha ching cash machine going off.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

The dealers arent all that bad, take it from me, I work at the dealer.

Not all dealers are that bad, in fact, there are a majority of them out there that arent out of fuck you! The fee you pay is a diagnostic charge that covers not only the scan, but the daig to figure out exactly what needs to be replaced. In which case, the diag fee you signed for is waived if you decide to go ahead with the repair. Tech's are not going to work for free no matter where you go, people have to get paid to extend ther knowledge and services to other people.... there is no way around that.

Converters are covered for 10 years 120k miles, but you HAVE to sign for the diag fee, and if it is the converters, the fee is waived.

And hyde, not all of us advisors are that retarded.... I can promise you that.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Im in Alabama, so i dont have to pass emissions..

So if i get headers, i can just clear the code and be done with?

Bc if i get the dealer to scan it, and it isnt the cat, and i have to pay. i will be pissed.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

I'm pretty sure I received the same code Sarge posted but dont' have the paperwork on me at the moment. If a long tube and headers are the way to go I can start saving up. I know they did replace one cat not long ago. I'm not opposed to removing the cats I've no need for them.

On a side note I get out to purchase gas yesterday. Ten feet away this old lady in a crappy Mustang LX is heading right toward me. No, No, No, No... smack. She replies, "It's okay my car always had scratches and dents." Argh! Nobody could understand why I was upset about it. Spider webbed the rear bumper paint but for the most part I buffed it out. Only car guys can relate to me being upset watching an LX ram into my car in slow motion while I wince in pain. The guy at the counter owns a Camaro and he's like omg man!!!

Rubbing aint racing if I'm parked! I swear she's a Camaro hitman. This lady smiled as she did it.
    Last edited by ezwip; 12-04-2008 at 05:22 AM.

Black
    2001 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 346ci View Post
    Basically you need a new catalytic converter on bank 1, there is a 10 year warranty on cats from GM if I'm not mistaken, the dealer should replace if for free.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=430

there is a TSB for this

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Questions..
    1.Whats (pass (430))?

And

2.P0430 so thats the passenger cat?

3.And P0420 ''what i posted'' is the driver side cat?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Sarge91; 12-04-2008 at 06:52 AM.

P0420 is the drivers side cat (bank 1), P0430 is the passenger side cat (bank 2).

Thread Information