Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black

check engine light

i want to take of my cats i dont have money for an off road y tho but i know id have to get mileliminators no money for that either so wats the next option? i was thinkin about turning it off with a scanner or code reader, but not sure will it work.......... car is 02 Z

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here, I would just cut out the cats and install a "test pipe" for a couple of bucks. Out in California you may be SOL on that. A tune can delete the rear O2 sensors so as not to trigger the SES light.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If you don't have the money to add supporting exhaust work, and a rear 02 delete, imho I'd leave it be.. You won't get it passed Ca. overly strict tree hugger laws anyways.. The gains from getting rid of your cats alone will be minute.. Just my .02 Good luck..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black

actually i went to a shop da dude said 80 to do it, i was like might as well get an ory but i still dont know y he was chargin dat much

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrider02 View Post
    i want to take of my cats i dont have money for an off road y tho but i know id have to get mileliminators no money for that either so wats the next option? i was thinkin about turning it off with a scanner or code reader, but not sure will it work.......... car is 02 Z
    Why do you want to remove the cats ? Do you have a persistent SES light that won't stay off because of a bad cat ? If so, you should head on down to the Chevy dealer and see if your cat has been replaced already under their extended convertor warranty. If it has not been replaced, you can get it replaced for FREE !

I had this same problem a few months ago, and I got a new GM cat for $zero out of pocket.

Rip

Black

no just to be louder

Monteray Maroon
    2002 Camaro LS1

I have the same problem, but I am removing my cats and putting in o2 simulators, no matter how many times I cleared the codes my check engine light always comes back on! Its annoying but my cats are also completely broken around the entire pipe! Bought my car dogged out from some dumb a$$

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    If you don't have the money to add supporting exhaust work, and a rear 02 delete, imho I'd leave it be.. You won't get it passed Ca. overly strict tree hugger laws anyways.. The gains from getting rid of your cats alone will be minute.. Just my .02 Good luck..
    +1

It's not worth it to just cut your converters off. You'll probably get smacked around by the California emmissions laws anyway. If you do go ahead with it though, get it done right the first time and have a professional tuner turn the codes off completely.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_revenge View Post
    I have the same problem, but I am removing my cats and putting in o2 simulators, no matter how many times I cleared the codes my check engine light always comes back on! Its annoying but my cats are also completely broken around the entire pipe! Bought my car dogged out from some dumb a$$

I would spend the extra money and get it tuned, I went threw 3 sets of sims on my car and they would only last about a month or so. I got mine tuned by Frost and my car passed with no problem this year

Monteray Maroon
    2002 Camaro LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Teknik_SS View Post
    I would spend the extra money and get it tuned, I went threw 3 sets of sims on my car and they would only last about a month or so. I got mine tuned by Frost and my car passed with no problem this year
    As far as i know my car has been programmed with shift points changed and all that... luckily i live in the boonies and can remove my cats with no tree hugger laws to get me. once i get the simulators in and the cats removed I will then get it tuned by frost. i have had him recommended many times now...

RED
    2002/Z28

I want to do the same thing. How much just taking cats off help with stock Man's.But when I do it I will install LT's/ORY and have Frost tune it. Hate to Hi jack this thread..

black
    02 ss camaro

As far as i know my car has been programmed with shift points changed and all that... luckily i live in the boonies and can remove my cats with no tree hugger laws to get me. once i get the simulators in and the cats removed I will then get it tuned by frost. i have had him recommended many times now...
    Don't waste your money on the simulators...just get it tuned to delete rear oxygen sensors once you remove the cats.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

If you don't have laws there, Why even worry about the sims? I really would not waist the money on them, Just pull the cats and run with the SES light on till you get a tune. I honestly think sims will be a waist for you....

Black

If you don't have laws there, Why even worry about the sims? I really would not waist the money on them, Just pull the cats and run with the SES light on till you get a tune. I honestly think sims will be a waist for you....
    i was thinkin i might fuck up da comp and make da engine burn off more fuel wen i dont want it to do dat

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

I just don't get it. . . If all you want is a louder exhaust note, why don't you just install a low restriction muffler and be done with it ? Screwing around with the computer, an ORY pipe, etc. is just gonna make the car run crappy - if you don't spend a whole bunch of money to do it right. The car, the computer, and the environment will be a whole lot happier if you just keep things close to what the engineers set up and designed in the first place. . .

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

The one problem with that is then you won't know if there is another issue going on with the car, since the SES light will always be on.

But it's not worth pulling the cats off if you aren't even going to upgrade the Ypipe, muffler and manifold.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    The one problem with that is then you won't know if there is another issue going on with the car, since the SES light will always be on.

But it's not worth pulling the cats off if you aren't even going to upgrade the Ypipe, muffler and manifold.
    I was going for a "temp" Fix till he had money for a tune, Like I said I had gone threw 2 sets of sims in 3 months. They just do not work all that well. But I do agree with you Koni, upgrade the whole exhaust system!

Black

well i got a 1 chamber muffler and dats it for now dats y im thinkin about pullin da cats

Monteray Maroon
    2002 Camaro LS1

Well tomorrow I am having my cats taken off because they're bad and I do not qualify for the extanded warrnty gm put out. Too many miles. Also I am not gettings sims. Will be taking my car to get dyno tuned. Car is stock other than that. And yes I want the car louder and I do have some kind of exhaust that was put on before I got the car but I want that damn pesky ses light off. And my exhaust leak is extensive damage. Completely broken all the way around the pipe on both sides. Can't wait to have it fixed!!! Yay!!

Btw what in the heck is A mileliminator?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Well tomorrow I am having my cats taken off because they're bad and I do not qualify for the extanded warrnty gm put out. Too many miles. Also I am not gettings sims. Will be taking my car to get dyno tuned. Car is stock other than that. And yes I want the car louder and I do have some kind of exhaust that was put on before I got the car but I want that damn pesky ses light off. And my exhaust leak is extensive damage. Completely broken all the way around the pipe on both sides. Can't wait to have it fixed!!! Yay!!

Btw what in the heck is A mileliminator?
    MIL eliminator. MIL - Malfunction Indicator Light... or more commonly referred to as the SES light or Check engine light.

Thread Information