Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

changing drl/turn signal bulb

Is there a easy way to get the bulb changed from the top? I just noticed how easy it was to get down to the socket from the top, but cant figure out which way to turn or pull.

any ideas or thoughts?

Pewter
    99 Z28

Im assuming your talking about the turn signal. I changed mine last week actually from the top, if I remember right you grab the tab thats on top (I think its 10:00 with the firewall being 12:00), twist counterclockwise and it should release, then it should slide its way out vertically. Im pretty sure thats how it was.....

I did mine from the top after doing the other side from the bottom (pain in the a**). So it is easy, just look from the proper angle from the top before you stick your hand in to know where your reaching.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

i could get at the left (facing front of car) one with my right hand cuz i'm right handed but the right sided one i had to take out the headlight assembly slightly and just set it to the side..

but yeah you have to move the tab out of the way that stops it from turning counterclockwise? i think counterclockwise whatever way the tab is blocked from turning... move the tab out of the way and turn it that way.

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
    Is there a easy way to get the bulb changed from the top? I just noticed how easy it was to get down to the socket from the top, but cant figure out which way to turn or pull.

any ideas or thoughts?
    its kinda plugs sideways i think, pulls in the direction you wouldnt think it would.. I always take off my headlights so I can see it better. I can wiggle my way down there with head lights attached, but I cant see it to put back in...

My turn signal lights burn out like every 3 months, both of them. The smaller bulb just falls out, and the larger one like melts

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

im thinking about getting the clear lights and order some LEDs for them so i dont have to change them.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

LED's FTW

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    LED's FTW

dumb question!!!!! so flaming allowed!

what is FTW mean?

F the world?

Pewter
    99 Z28

FTW = For the Win

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

dumb question!!!!! so flaming allowed!

what is FTW mean?

F the world?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamesense View Post
    FTW = For the Win
    FTMFW

For The Mother F**king Win

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

thanks to all who helped

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

My turn signal just went out again. It melts. Err every three months I have to get a new bulb. I guess I need new wiring and stuff?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by toityme View Post
    My turn signal just went out again. It melts. Err every three months I have to get a new bulb. I guess I need new wiring and stuff?
    the bulb itself melts? would the LEDs help out with that?

Pewter
    2000 Z28

The headlight is designed to just be removed in order to change those bulbs. You'll see that there are 2 bolts holding in the headlight housing, and once those are out, it just slides off the bracket. This was done on purpose because otherwise changing the turn signal bulbs will take a much longer period of time, and a serious amount of flexibility on your part. And if the bulbs are melting every few months, chances are your bulb harnesses got fried at one point. Just got to your local autozone, look in the help section, and you should see the universal turn signal harness for all gms from I think 95-2004. It splices right in, and no more blown turn signal every few months. Also check the turn signal housing for burn marks, that would indicate water has somehow gotten in, and is causing the bulbs to explode and or melt. I went through this a few times with my 99. I can show you pics of what the housing looks like if its burnt. Not pretty.
    FOR SALE 2000 Z28 M6
    It's pretty much Raw Awesome

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

the bulb itself melts? would the LEDs help out with that?
    The plastic metal part melts, the part that plugs in.. I havent driven my car for 3 days, been sick. Ill probably change them tomorrow.. Ill take a pic.. its super weird.

I dont know anything about the LED set up, but Id love to go that route;look wise

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by buswwa View Post
    The headlight is designed to just be removed in order to change those bulbs. You'll see that there are 2 bolts holding in the headlight housing, and once those are out, it just slides off the bracket. This was done on purpose because otherwise changing the turn signal bulbs will take a much longer period of time, and a serious amount of flexibility on your part. And if the bulbs are melting every few months, chances are your bulb harnesses got fried at one point. Just got to your local autozone, look in the help section, and you should see the universal turn signal harness for all gms from I think 95-2004. It splices right in, and no more blown turn signal every few months. Also check the turn signal housing for burn marks, that would indicate water has somehow gotten in, and is causing the bulbs to explode and or melt. I went through this a few times with my 99. I can show you pics of what the housing looks like if its burnt. Not pretty.
    Would like to see. I've never had a melting light problem before lol and frankly im getting sick of replacing them every 3 months lol

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by buswwa View Post
    i will look again but im only seeing the one nut/bolt to remove on mine and its right by the adjusting screw.

where is the other one?

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

hole where it goes in

what it should look like in

that yellowish color small one is the other light.. mine falls out often...

I dont think there is another screw,, Sometimes the wiring is really tight so its hard to get the headlight loose. usually the high beams.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS--SOLD

i thought someone posted that there was two screws so thats why i asked. I think im going to get the clear lenses and just go from the bottom.

now i have to figure out what kind of LEDs will look right in there. i dont want to bright or two dim.

this stupid thing is gonna drive me freakin nuts.

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Sorry its taken me so long to respond, been busy with work stuff. Heres what the light housing and bulb socket looked like.

Here is how the bulb socket will look after shorting out a few times.

And I think this is the "plastic metal thing" you were referring to. Notice how non-round it is after having the bulb melt inside it a few times.

Pewter
    2000 Z28

i thought someone posted that there was two screws so thats why i asked. I think im going to get the clear lenses and just go from the bottom.

now i have to figure out what kind of LEDs will look right in there. i dont want to bright or two dim.

this stupid thing is gonna drive me freakin nuts.
    Its been a while since I had headlight/turn signal issues, but ill take soime pics and post them showing how easy it can be to remove the factory headlight housing.

Thread Information