Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: catback exhaust

navy blue metalic
    2001 camaro ss

catback exhaust

hey yall i posted this in the external engine section but figure it's for my 01 ss so i'll put it in here want to hear from u guys and gals how much gain you've seen with just catback, hp or 1/4 time, lookin at a magnaflow but interested in feedback on any brand your input be great thanks

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

magnaflow, hooker, borla are all good. ls1sounds has a list of clips for you.

navy blue metalic
    2001 camaro ss

i've already listen to couple hundred by now i just want to know the gain cause if theres not at least 10hp i'm not spendin the money on it heck i'd just wait put lt's and keep the stock catback

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Do you have the slp catback?

navy blue metalic
    2001 camaro ss

doesn't appear so the muffler does not look like the slp dual dual setup i keep seeing does have some little shiney tips though

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Magnaflow is supposed to be one of the best, especially considering the price.

IMO a catback is more for the sound, as a performance mod it's not a very good bang for your buck.

If you're just looking for performance, I'd just get a cutout for now, and put the rest towards headers.

navy blue metalic
    2001 camaro ss

well thats the other issue not interested in that much noise i got 2 drag cars this is just a daily driver thats what i like about the magnaflow not to loud less cracklin only reason i'm thinkin bout it found one for like 350.00 used but never installed
    Last edited by SSDEUCE; 07-24-2009 at 02:53 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

electric cutout is best of both worlds.

White
    2002 Z28

I couldn't tell you the exact hp difference, but with a catback my car was about .2 quicker in the 1/4 mile with the times corrected for the DA each day. As a guess I'd say that translates into more than 10 hp, maybe as much as 20.

I've got a Magnaflow and I'm not very happy with it. It doesn't have the resonance problems that some get, but it's louder inside than it is outside. Too loud.

They are extremely expensive, but the Corsa is the best. I had that on my last F-Body and it was perfect. Quiet inside and just slightly louder outside unless you stomp on it then it almost sounds like open exhaust. It stayed tight and never rattled. With a lid and the Corsa I got a 22 hp bump.

A friend has the Slp Loudmouth and it's not very pleasant and doesn't produce a quality sound. It's just loud with a straight pipe sound.

navy blue metalic
    2001 camaro ss

my buddy has the loud mouth and yeah its to loud and not smooth sound thanks for the numbers thats what i'm lookin for maybe i can add a resonator to the magnaflow if it's to loud

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
    I couldn't tell you the exact hp difference, but with a catback my car was about .2 quicker in the 1/4 mile with the times corrected for the DA each day. As a guess I'd say that translates into more than 10 hp, maybe as much as 20.

I've got a Magnaflow and I'm not very happy with it. It doesn't have the resonance problems that some get, but it's louder inside than it is outside. Too loud.

They are extremely expensive, but the Corsa is the best. I had that on my last F-Body and it was perfect. Quiet inside and just slightly louder outside unless you stomp on it then it almost sounds like open exhaust. It stayed tight and never rattled. With a lid and the Corsa I got a 22 hp bump.

A friend has the Slp Loudmouth and it's not very pleasant and doesn't produce a quality sound. It's just loud with a straight pipe sound.

I don't have a have a lot of faith in the soundclips as there are simply too many variables. Magnaflow with single outlets on each side vs. the dual outlets? Can anyone comment?

Red
    1999 Camaro Z28, 6 speed

I have the flowmaster catback and I am very happy with it. I love its sound !!

This is the kit I bought :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-17199/

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by fury78 View Post
    I have the flowmaster catback and I am very happy with it. I love its sound !!

This is the kit I bought :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-17199/

No offense... but I am not a fan of the "Flowmaster sound". If it sounds like a traditional Flowmaster setup then I just can't do it. How does yours compare?

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i have the dynomax ultraflow catback, very happy with it. not too loud either, the sound is more on the dark side.
    and i felt the car "wake up" after lid and catback.

black
    01 SS

i have a borla 3" catback, and i plan on switching to tsp true duals.. borla is a good catback i like it, but im ready for a change.

Red
    1999 Camaro Z28, 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    No offense... but I am not a fan of the "Flowmaster sound". If it sounds like a traditional Flowmaster setup then I just can't do it. How does yours compare?
    Hey, it is no offense....

In my country there is no many to compare. Most of my friends have flowmaster and I like its sound. Anyway, a friend of mine has magnaflow and I prefer my sound.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by fury78 View Post
    Hey, it is no offense....

In my country there is no many to compare. Most of my friends have flowmaster and I like its sound. Anyway, a friend of mine has magnaflow and I prefer my sound.

I guess there probably aren't too many F-bodies over your way. I usually don't pay too much attention to who I am talking to. I am trying to determine if I will be sacrificing sound for looks if I go with the dual outlet tips. I don't have anything against the single outlet on each side, but the other ones just fill the opening in the bumper and have a great look.

Black
    99 SS

gains from c/b to another c/b are going to be very minimal, the only real gains are going to come from a true dual system and generally with a lot of hp is where your going to see the gains. I have went the true dual system twice and hace changed it twice back to a y pipe, on these cars im sticking with a y pipe system.

navy blue metalic
    2001 camaro ss

but what was the gain from the stock catback

Black
    99 SS

id say 5 hp, if that, your still restricted from the stock manifolds

Thread Information