Artic White
    2002 SS camaro

Cat-back vs True Dual ???

I need opinions from you guys. i have a 3" cat back system right now on my 2002 ss camaro and
    purchased a great deal on a true-dual system from Texas Speed but i dont know how to go about it because i still want to keep my CME on my car......i want the performance on my car but how much more horsepower will i get ???

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If I had to guess, what you gain in horsepower you just about give up in added weight. I would be curious to know the actual difference though... both in power and weight.

Artic White
    2002 SS camaro

Anyone here switched from a cat-back exhaust to true dual exhaust??? I want to here your guys opinion on the performance and the feel of the car. If I have to part ways from my CME I will but I want to here your guys opinion on the switch

We did some comparing many years ago with various 3" catbacks and found no real measurable difference with any of the 3" catbacks. However when switched over to a 4" mufflex catback there was a substantial gain. The car finally picked up a couple MPH.

At that time the only dual system available was the Bassani and at $900 it was a bit pricey for just an experiment, but I would have loved to see how it compared to a 4" mufflex.

You'll have some things to consider with the Texas true duals however. Ground clearance is a big one with me, they hang down pretty low even with a low profile set of bullet mufflers.

The other is how long you can put up with the noice and the drone you'll have with that stuff dumped right under the seats at the rear axle. It's downright obnoxious inside the car.

These 2 things steer me away from it. I'd much rather prefer the Bassani duals that utilize a muffler in the stock location, and has real tailpipes. Or the Mufflex 3 1/2" or 4" system that tucks up really nice and exits at the bumper.

The CME will have to go away with the Texas Speed setup that dumps at the rearend unless you want to have a reputable shop fab up some pipes to continue over the axle. There is also Kooks making duals that exited at the rear bumper which put bullet style mufflers at the rear bumper, but doesn't leave any room to fab the CME into it. This system is also hella loud too.

If you are dead set on making more power, I'd consider trading my brand new 4" mufflex with a stainless Magnaflow muffler for your 3" system and CME setup. Cost me just over $600 for the complete setup, wife doesn't like it. I'm going back to a 3" setup.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Another vote 4" mufflex setup ... after fabricating many different setups of true duals; dumped and over the axle, I just went for the simplicity and fit of the 4" mufflex setup with the spinech muffler and loved it!
    I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

My Cardomain Site My Fquick site Custom Installs

Yes, a great system, well designed with excellent fit. I ran one many years ago and liked it then, so I bought another one. I just didn't remember it being so loud before. It's hell when you get old I guess

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Hmm...Mufflex with CME. I like that.

I run the mufflex setup with a single outlet muffler 4" hidden tailpipe so it's all tucked up high, can't see it. This setup makes the CME impossible.

However they do make a 4" Mufflex setup with a dual outlet muffler now (more restrictive) but those dual outlets turn into 3" pipes, so to make the CME work on that would take some reducers and fab work, since CME only comes in 2 1/2". It would be doable, with some work.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

It's not worth giving up the cool look of the CME for a few HP because it will cancel out with the added weight not to mention the added expense. Put your money into other performance adding modifications.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Here's the vid of my T/A with the 4" mufflex setup

Yep, noisy just like mine

I couldn't tell if you went with a hidden tailpipe or with their dual tailpipe muffler.

Here's a couple shots of mine with the hidden tailpipe setup. I like the fact that when you stand behind it you can't see any exhaust. Too bad you can hear me coming 3 blocks away though.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Well I had to go dual exits cos of the T/A's rear bumpers. If it was a Camaro, then def hidden

Thread Information