carburated 355 in a fbody?

I have a question. I have been wanting to get a f body for the longest time. i had an 83 camaro and switched the engine out to a 355. I got into an accident a month ago and pulled the motor so the insurance couldnt take it. now i want a f body and i was wondering if you could fit a carburated 355 in the engine bay of an f-body because i kno there would be issues with room towards the firewall for the distributor...anyone have any ideas??
    thanks

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Eevn with a low profile distributor that would be hard. People do carberators, but they use coil packs for most applications. That or get a mopar small block with the distributor in the front

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Eevn with a low profile distributor that would be hard. People do carberators, but they use coil packs for most applications. That or get a mopar small block with the distributor in the front
    Better yet how about a Windsor Ford?????

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Better yet how about a Windsor Ford?????
    A ford in a chevy that would be a first

ya all those are great idea's but i have complete DZ302 engine waiting to get dropped into something and the motor runs (dyno'd 425 horsepower)..and i would honestly love to drop it into an fbody more than anything i mean there gotta be someone whos done it..someone told me wed just have to beat in the firewall a bit aka custom fabrication ha

Black
    99 Formula

An 83 camaro is a F body. Do you mean a 4th gen ?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Some guys box out the fire wall so the distrib has room for you to work on it but it would still be snug. Can and has been done but not with out some work and curz words thrown about

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I don't know if you have smog, but here in Ca I would rather cut myself than try to smog a carbed f-body. They have kits for 240z's.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by SSHAZE View Post
    ya all those are great idea's but i have complete DZ302 engine waiting to get dropped into something and the motor runs (dyno'd 425 horsepower)..and i would honestly love to drop it into an fbody more than anything i mean there gotta be someone whos done it..someone told me wed just have to beat in the firewall a bit aka custom fabrication ha
    1st you say you have a complete 355 now you say you have a DZ302? So whacha got?

And I wouldn't bother with a 4th gen (too heavy and a PITA to make it fit). I'd do a 3rd gen, preferrably one with no options.

If you have a real DZ engine (even just the block) it's worth far more to a 69 Camaro Z28 restorer than just using it as a hot rod engine. Just my $.02 worth....
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 08-11-2009 at 03:27 PM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I don't know if you have smog, but here in Ca I would rather cut myself than try to smog a carbed f-body. They have kits for 240z's.
    Wanna be my lawn? I need a lawn that'll cut itself....

ya i meant a 4th generation.and down here in miami smog isnt a problem..and Yes I have a real dz302 engine..casting numbers match up with the heads and the block... and i had it in a 3rd gen and fit perfectly but sadly i got hit from behind and my car was totalled =[...so now im sittin here without a ride trying to figure out what to do..but thanks for the help

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Wanna be my lawn? I need a lawn that'll cut itself....
    Purcahase some emo sod.

Quote Originally Posted by SSHAZE View Post
    ya i meant a 4th generation.and down here in miami smog isnt a problem..and Yes I have a real dz302 engine..casting numbers match up with the heads and the block... and i had it in a 3rd gen and fit perfectly but sadly i got hit from behind and my car was totalled =[...so now im sittin here without a ride trying to figure out what to do..but thanks for the help
    I would sell that to a 1st gen owner or drop it in my own 1st gen. Even if you make it fit you would have to take out the whole motor to change out the distributor. Good luck either way.
    Last edited by c5z28; 08-11-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Give MSD a call. They make a front mount distributor for small and big block chevy's as well as Pontiacs. It's all high dollar with belt drives etc...but if you are determined to stick an old sbc in a 4th gen,,,,then thats the route I would take.
    I wouldn't even fool with modifying the car to try and make it work,,,just move the distributor to the front and be done with it.

Thread Information