Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black SS SLP#8834
    2002 35th Anniversary LS1

Can't insure my SS with Grundy. (Long Version)

I was interested in Grundy becuase I thought insuring musclecars like our Camaros, Tran Ams, Firebirds & Corvettes would be easy but not so. I provided specific info on their easy to use online form and an agent in PA was quick to get back to me. Grundy's awesome quote was $354 for six months. This was 2 weeks ago and I'm researching again since Progressive gave my SS a quote of $826 for six months. Pretty steep for regular full coverage but I thought maybe I can do better with your help before April 30th when I dole out $1083 with my daily driver a 96 Camaro. I dropped the IROC Z28 from the policy because I'm troubleshooting TPI issues and replacing the exhaust.

Through the agent I have learned that my 2002 SS with certain SLP Engineering options installed is not a collectible and is not insurable becuase I do not own a newer vehicle to use as a daily driver ( I own the 96 Camaro and two 3rd Gens to ride otherwise ). This is what Grundy shot me down on. Her explanation was that if my daily driver broke down than I am putting the SS at risk if I were to use it as a part time daily driver. I told her I have 3 other well maintained cars in possession and after putting me on hold she got back to me and said sorry no way I have to own a 2003 vehicle or newer regardless of my 3 other cars. I was furious over this logic.

Here are the excerpts from my conversation with the female Grundy agent. She wanted to know if my daily driver newer than my SS:

Hi Lauren,

The 2002 Camaro SS is newer than my daily transportion vehicle, which is my 1996 Camaro Base Coupe, therefore the 2002 is the newer vehicle I am interested in insuring with Grundy.

If your statement is true, how is it possible to insure older collectible vehicles while the mainstream car enthusiast that you insure drive newer vehicles everyday? I would like a phone call to expedite insuring my 2002 Camaro SS as I was awaiting notification for insurance.

Thank You Very Much

Her Grundy reply:

I meant the opposite sorry! We wouldn’t able to insure a vehicle that is newer than your regular daily vehicles….

Thank you,

Lauren @ Grundy Insurance.

I went back to my Progressive agent and he understood my situation and went above and beyond to help me out and with a few click on his mouse, one of his pool of participating insurance companies was interested but they wanted actual photos which I provided. I quickly took pics onsite and faxed them over and got their reply:

Hi Alex,

We cannot offer coverage under a collector vehicle policy as the vehicles must be at least 20 years old to qualify for this program.

Please keep us in mind for any other collector vehicles that are over 20 years of age.

Any questions please let me know.

Thanks.

Carynn Martin
    Assistant Manager - Personal Lines
    Insurance Center Special Risks
    Phone: 888-773-7475 Ext. 7318
    Fax: 413-781-0050
    cmartin@specialrisksltd.com

Visit us online at www.specialrisksltd.com

I'm not giving up as I have yet to contact Hagerty and State Farm.

My argument is that IF I owned an '87 GNX... then is not a collectible and younger than 20 years then its not insurable. Same goes for the limited production '89 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am Pace Car, which only 1555 were made, its not insurable according to their stipulations. I have an '83 T/A that runs also but that's a project and another story.

What's a F-Body freak to do? Help me out and don't tell me to sell my cars LOL. Thank for reading my long winded gripe. By the way I have a perfect driving record sine 1990.
    Last edited by SS1Eagle; 04-26-2009 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Edited expletives out :)

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Thats pretty shitty policy IMO. Grange is another option..

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

A friend of mine has a `00 SS droptop and is insured through Hagerty and at the time he told me all that was needed to get their insurance was proof of another vehicle as a daily driver and be over 25 years old.

To tell you the truth it sounded like she was giving you excuses more then a real explaination. It seems to me the Bad economy is effecting insurance companies aswell.
    Last edited by 9T8W66; 04-27-2009 at 08:10 AM.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

State Farm has a Collector's Auto Policy, that states if you drive it less than 3000mi/yr you can apply for it. of course, documentation and proof are requested by them for this coverage as well...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I was gonna suggest Grange, and i used to have the state farm policy...i know it was cheap, i cant remember how much though.

But you are right, its retarded

None

Try State Farm!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Most insurance companies have a "Pleasure Vehicle" classification. I used to have my Camaro insured through Progressive and it was classified as a pleasure vehicle which discounted its rates quite a bit. As long as you have another vehicle insured with them, you can classify your 2002 SS as a pleasure vehicle, and also receive the multi car discount. At the time I had my 2000 SS insured as a pleasure vehicle, my DD was a 1991 Accord with 3 million miles. They won't hassle you over newer vehicle b/s or how much you drive your 2002 for a pleasure vehicle classification.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I used grundy for mine and just had to sign the no one under 25 drives it and give them my daily driver car info. Picked an agreed value and was done.

Black
    35th SS M6 - 9010mi

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Most insurance companies have a "Pleasure Vehicle" classification.
    This is what I have my SS classified under with Liberty Mutual. I pay $307/year.

G

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    I used grundy for mine and just had to sign the no one under 25 drives it and give them my daily driver car info. Picked an agreed value and was done.
    It's as simple as that. I use Grundy as well on 4 classic cars currently. I've never tried insuring either 4th gen SS with them though. But they sure as hell are becoming collectable, more so as time goes on. I use Grundy because there is no mileage limitation bullcrap. Some of them limit you to as little as 2,000 miles a year,,,,that's crap. Not even an oil change to most people. Hell one trip on a rod run to Pigeon Forge and back I put 1,100 miles on the car,,,,am I supposed to park it the rest of the year???? Sorry for the rant,,,,,anyway,,,,

Yes you do have to have a primary daily car for regular transportation,,,thats a given,,,,,,But the "having a newer car" for daily transportation is complete BULL!!!
    They didn't do that to me,,,,,my daily car at the time I signed up was a 79 Monza Spyder and they didn't flinch at all. Quite frankly I don't use any new car for daily commuting, and don't plan to. I'm one of the few that actually enjoys driving 40 year old stuff every day.

I think you need to call back and get a different person.

1994 Z28 MQBM
    2001 SS #1629 LPM

They did this to me as well. I put down that I have a 94 Z and a 95 Caprice. Once I got that response I went back and filled out another app and used my wife's 99 Trail Blazer and then they approved it. It is bull$hit but what can you do.
    www.fquick.com/ntimid8r7

www.cccfonline.com

Triple H Coating
    Specializing in Powder and Ceramic Coating
    steve@triplehcoating.com
    www.triplehcoating.com

388 rwhp & 370 rwtq
    2001 Camaro SS #847

mines like 1400 a year with geico :[

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r7 View Post
    They did this to me as well. I put down that I have a 94 Z and a 95 Caprice. Once I got that response I went back and filled out another app and used my wife's 99 Trail Blazer and then they approved it. It is bull$hit but what can you do.
    Thats odd since I used old cars as daily's on my application, and I'm still driving the old stuff. There isn't any reason to think the old cars can't be dependable transportation. I trust them more than anything else on the road.

Maybe it has something to do with the persons age???

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Yeah I don't know because my daily drivers are new leases, but getting collector insurance was a no-brainer with a policy for about $350/yr. for my SS and it was over $1000/yr with a standard policy (less for winter storage but still?)

Yeah I don't know because my daily drivers are new leases, but getting collector insurance was a no-brainer with a policy for about $350/yr. for my SS and it was over $1000/yr with a standard policy (less for winter storage but still?)
    Ya I found it easy and cheap as well. I'm sitting hear thinking about it and thought that maybe it's the fact that I have classic 50's-60's and early 70's cars insured with them and my daily,,,,albiet still 30 years old,,,yet it's newer than what is insured with them has something to do with it??

Black SS SLP#8834
    2002 35th Anniversary LS1

Update !

Just got back from my Connecticut DMV and received my new license plates. While there I asked the counterperson how much for vanity plates for my SS and learned it's a whopping $50 extra on top of the $125 for regular plates and registration. It just keeps on getting expensive just so a car can sit in my garage 6 months out of the year during the winter I suppose. I'm voting with my wallet next time! Just ranting about Connecticut taxes always going up for car enthusiasts like me.

Anyways earlier at my State Farm agents office I received a kick ass quote through under the Pleasure Vehicle clause that saved me $400 vs going with Progressive's $1083 and paid $669 for a six month policy for my daily driver and the SS, very cool. The female agent was very knowledgable and found more money saving tricks in her computer to bring me a smile. She also mentioned I will be receiving in the mail some complete State Farm papers to review over. I think it's for mileage restrictions, condition of body proofs etc but whatever the case I left like I was walking on air after saving that much money. Do you homework because certain insurance companies can rob you blind!

It's sunny out, I think I'll go out for a leisurely romp on the SS finally...

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

This has got me thinking I need to check on mine. The wife did everything on our cars. We have 4 among 2 drivers right now...and she is getting ready to buy a Traverse. So I need to save where I can. Then I also have a kid turning 16 in October. Cha-ching!

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by BowTied View Post
    This has got me thinking I need to check on mine. The wife did everything on our cars. We have 4 among 2 drivers right now...and she is getting ready to buy a Traverse. So I need to save where I can. Then I also have a kid turning 16 in October. Cha-ching!
    That was another reason for me switching, I have a 17 yr. old daughter and whenever she finally gets her license I did not want it to raise fees on all my vehicles.
    By using a collector insurance with a "no one under 25 limit" my rate will not change for my SS.

That was another reason for me switching, I have a 17 yr. old daughter and whenever she finally gets her license I did not want it to raise fees on all my vehicles.
    By using a collector insurance with a "no one under 25 limit" my rate will not change for my SS.
    Really???? Shucks the only reason I use the collector insurance is simply because it's covered for a given amount on a progressive rate as the car appreciates with no mileage limitations like other companies try to pull. I just want to make sure my classics are covered,,,since they aren't easily replaced,,,I couldn't care less about yougins' raisin the rates on me.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Really???? Shucks the only reason I use the collector insurance is simply because it's covered for a given amount on a progressive rate as the car appreciates with no mileage limitations like other companies try to pull. I just want to make sure my classics are covered,,,since they aren't easily replaced,,,I couldn't care less about yougins' raisin the rates on me.
    But I'm in Michigan, the black hole of money,cars,employment and corrupt democrats. I need to relocate fast.

Thread Information