Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Question Can't identify the problem.

The car is making a rattling sound between idle and 2000 rpms which goes away above 2000. It's a 02 Z28, 6-speed, 46k miles. Only mods are Corsa exhaust and SLP lid. I'm trying to get some ideas as to what it might be before I take it to a shop. The computer isn't throwing any codes so that's no help. Can't figure out if it's just something that came loose or is it something more serious.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Where does the rattling sound seem to be coming from, engine bay area, middle of the car or the rear of the car?
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by BallerDave View Post
    The car is making a rattling sound between idle and 2000 rpms which goes away above 2000. It's a 02 Z28, 6-speed, 46k miles. Only mods are Corsa exhaust and SLP lid. I'm trying to get some ideas as to what it might be before I take it to a shop. The computer isn't throwing any codes so that's no help. Can't figure out if it's just something that came loose or is it something more serious.
    Where does it sound like the rattling is coming from?

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Where does the rattling sound seem to be coming from, engine bay area, middle of the car or the rear of the car?
    Beat me to it!

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

As best I can tell it's coming from the passenger side. It's a bit louder from under the hood. Computer finally sent a code P0430 Catalyst System Low Efficiency Bank 2. Is it possible something went bad inside the catalytic converter and that's what is rattling?
    Last edited by BallerDave; 06-21-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Silver
    2000 WS6

Maybe its the exhaust hitting the underside of the driver's side floor board.

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

Quote Originally Posted by BallerDave View Post
    As best I can tell it's coming from the passenger side. It's a bit louder from under the hood. Computer finally sent a code P0430 Catalyst System Low Efficiency Bank 2. Is it possible something went bad inside the catalytic converter and that's what is rattling?
    I know I got a recall for my 00 SS cats from GM...I had a friend (GM service manager) install new ones 6 months prior b/c I got a code for free so I didn't have them done again...look into it on your car.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

No its not the catalitic converter becasue if that was the problem you would really hear it coming from underneath the car.

I had the same problem once, it ended up being a wire just banging on the motor or something, I just moved it around and zip tied it to something and it was fine.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I have to agree with JoeSS on this one, I too had a recall on my original cats, and heard from many people that it made a rattling sound before the computer threw a code. Mine was the opposite, it threw the code first. The day after the SES light went on, I took it back to where I bought it, the guy told me the code, then I drove home grumbling about GM's stupid Cats and opened the mailbox to a recall notice.
    Went down to the dealership and that's a whole different story. The idiot [Service advisor] thought, after proudly recognizing it as a SS Camaro that it had a V6 in it. After threats of charging me if they found out it was something else that tripped the code, and demanding that I have it serviced by them while it was there to "Keep it under warrantee" which expired a long time ago, I said "Forget it, I 've been looking for an excuse to purchase a performance exhaust system anyway, and you just gave it to me"
    Now I'm the happy owner of SLP LT headers and a complete LM exhaust complete with high flow Cats

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    No its not the catalitic converter becasue if that was the problem you would really hear it coming from underneath the car.

I had the same problem once, it ended up being a wire just banging on the motor or something, I just moved it around and zip tied it to something and it was fine.

the first cat, is under the hood right on the back of the exhasut manifold, it is most certainly a cat that came apart, if your car is elegible still for this recall the there ya go,, if not, whip out the pocket book and bend over,

if i was yo uthis would be a good time to go with headers and ory,

navy blue metallic
    2000 z28 camaro

Sounds Like An Exhaust Rattl To Me!!

Thread Information