Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    4th Gen SS

Thumbs up Camaro Z28 550+hp edition coming out!

Source: http://www.camaro5.com

GM’s Camaro Z28 plans are back on and the top-end Camaro version is set for production, according to Ed Welburn, GM’s VP for global design! The modified Z28 body is already completed, but the powertrain still requires calibration work. The tentative timetable is that the Z28 will not be available for at least another year.

more details: http://www.camaro5.com/?p=2318

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by terps View Post
    And i thought i was special for having one of the last generation z28s

SOM
    2002 SS

having a 4th gen will always be special. modify the lsx and you are still almost 500lbs lighter than the new tank.

another year sigh... by then the gt500kr will have 575

SOM
    01 Camaro SS

its coola nd all,but i think its stupid that the z28 is faster than the SS.since the SS name is known for upgrade.i also think its stupid that the new z28 has a SS hood.

2000 Camaro B4C

long live the Z
    2000 B4C Special Service Package Z28 - Kooks 1&7/8 Stepped 2'' - TSP Torquer V.2 - FAST 92/92 - BDR 4000 Conveter - Xtreme Trans Stage II - Full UMI Suspension - Pacesetter LT's - Comp Drag Shocks - Magnaflow - Cutout - ZO6 MAF - FTP LID - Street Tuned -

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I heard about this also: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/21/r...-again-for-re/

Chevrolet makes this and I just might pass on the vert....

Awaiting Activation

black
    98 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 01SOMSS! View Post
    its coola nd all,but i think its stupid that the z28 is faster than the SS.since the SS name is known for upgrade.i also think its stupid that the new z28 has a SS hood.

Sorry bro but uh, aside from the L78 396 ss rated at 425 and 427ss, z28 was top dog when the z package was first released most had no idea what they were getting. the little high revving 302 was underrated at 290 horse but was more like 360 with single four bbl or 400 with double four bbl. You got disc brakes, stripes, and more appearance options than the ss/rs package and some other shit I don't remember but hell with the difference in weight I'm sure 396 vs. 302 became a drivers race. Not to mention a numbers matching z28 from the 60s will fetch way more at auction since way rarer. They only made like 600 in 67, 7000 or so in 68, and I forget for 69. But next time you rag on some shit be right. I drive a z28 and personally I love the ss tail and hood and always thought they looked good but I wanted rs tail/ ss hood, just so it would be different. But now I gotta go no ss parts cuz you think its stupid on a z28. Hahahaha. naw just giving you a hard time no hard feelings just thought you should know
    Last edited by ls1ya; 09-21-2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: wrong word

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 01SOMSS! View Post
    yea i too thought this was kind of retarded

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I'll save tons of money by keeping my car, stay naturally aspirated, drop in a texas-speed 427 ls3 or lsx long block, have the tranny built, new clutch to hold the power, suspension mods, new rear....after all that I could pay off my house and still be $10-15k ahead of the rich bastard and the up-to-his-ears-in-auto-loan-debt guy, and be comparable in horsepower, and still be hundreds of pounds lighter

THEN, I'll wait a few years and buy one when they've gone down considerably in price, just like I did with the SS I currently own.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I am really starting to like the gen 5s. But I'm keeping my goat.

White
    2000 Z28

I've been waiting to hear this since the day they started production.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1ya View Post
    Sorry bro but uh, aside from the L78 396 ss rated at 425 and 427ss, z28 was top dog when the z package was first released most had no idea what they were getting. the little high revving 302 was underrated at 290 horse but was more like 360 with single four bbl or 400 with double four bbl. You got disc brakes, stripes, and more appearance options than the ss/rs package and some other shit I don't remember but hell with the difference in weight I'm sure 396 vs. 302 became a drivers race. Not to mention a numbers matching z28 from the 60s will fetch way more at auction since way rarer. They only made like 600 in 67, 7000 or so in 68, and I forget for 69. But next time you rag on some shit be right. I drive a z28 and personally I love the ss tail and hood and always thought they looked good but I wanted rs tail/ ss hood, just so it would be different. But now I gotta go no ss parts cuz you think its stupid on a z28. Hahahaha. naw just giving you a hard time no hard feelings just thought you should know
    Owning 2 L78 powered 69's and a 69Z I can vouch for some of that. Although the L78's came and went, I still have the Z.
    The auctions however are kind of funny, they made somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000 69Z's. The L78's are much more rare at only a few hundred, yet they seem to match each other on pricing depending on options. It can go either way.
    In performance. The 69Z is a great running little car but I can tell you from my own personal experience it was no match for either L78.

But to get back on subject a bit,,,,,I can see where 01somss is coming from.
    The SS back then could be ordered with a slew of engine packages, 350/300 396/325 396/350 396/375 and a 396/375 with an L89 aluminum head option. Not to mention many trans and rear gear options. The Z was built to homologate SCCA Trans Am racing and the 302 was the limiting factor as the series had a cap at 305 ci.
    The 4th gen SS didn't share these choices and were stuck with the same LS engine all the Z's got. But of course the manufactures have long been out of SCCA support and couldn't care less. Things have changed unfortunately.

Kind of ironic now how the tables are turned a bit eh??? Seems the Z (if it hits the light of day) is getting the more powerfull package now.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

fuck any chevy brand can have ss moniker these days its about time the camaro have its own top model.

White
    1995 Camaro Z28

Also the name "z28" has more force behind it than "ss" I agree with ^^ any chevy can be an ss

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by manarth5103 View Post
    Also the name "z28" has more force behind it than "ss" I agree with ^^ any chevy can be an ss
    Z28 Heritage > SS Heritage

Z28 does have alot of history with the Trans Am series being what it was originally created for in 67.
    The SS goes much further back than camaro's. To some of the first chevy II's and chevelles in 64. Was also a big part of the Impala throughout the 60's.

Z28's went right through the smog years on the camaros and kinda lost the impact they once had, yet the SS was removed after the 72 model year on camaro's.
    You could still get an SS chevelle or Elcamino up to about 1977 (before they shrunk)

Anyway, point being, SS's have always been an option on most of GM's production vehicles, it was the thing to have back then, the top of the line of that particular model car,,,and when GM finally brought the SS back to the camaro in 96 it was very much a welcome addition, and has been throughout the 4th gen production.

So SS's on everything now (as Bene mentioned) is really nothing new, although I do think GM got carried away with it and stuck the badge on some piss poor cars that don't deserve to carry it. But being on multiple models from GM has always been their practice.
    The Z28 never really disappeared from the camaro, (aside from the one year in the mid 70's for those paying attention and know their history,,lol) although making a late appearance (if it comes out) on this model. It's sure nice to see.

Just for giggles, anyone know the one year camaro where the Z28 was not offered??
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-22-2009 at 06:45 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I love my Z28 cars. This is my 2nd one.
    But 50 grand for a new one
    At clearance time I can buy a Vette for 40.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

not like they would ever do it but a 302 or 305 engine just done to the 9's would be freakin sweet. get something high revving with an agressive cam and an intercooled turbo or something along those lines for a factor z/28 package on a 6 speed manual trans. i mean...they could do something seriously off the wall and it would probably sell quite well rather than just doing the same thing under different skin.

either way i'm excited to see the finished product.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Z28 does have alot of history with the Trans Am series being what it was originally created for in 67.
    The SS goes much further back than camaro's. To some of the first chevy II's and chevelles in 64. Was also a big part of the Impala throughout the 60's.

Z28's went right through the smog years on the camaros and kinda lost the impact they once had, yet the SS was removed after the 72 model year on camaro's.
    You could still get an SS chevelle or Elcamino up to about 1977 (before they shrunk)

Anyway, point being, SS's have always been an option on most of GM's production vehicles, it was the thing to have back then, the top of the line of that particular model car,,,and when GM finally brought the SS back to the camaro in 96 it was very much a welcome addition, and has been throughout the 4th gen production.

So SS's on everything now (as Bene mentioned) is really nothing new, although I do think GM got carried away with it and stuck the badge on some piss poor cars that don't deserve to carry it. But being on multiple models from GM has always been their practice.
    The Z28 never really disappeared from the camaro, (aside from the one year in the mid 70's for those paying attention and know their history,,lol) although making a late appearance (if it comes out) on this model. It's sure nice to see.

Just for giggles, anyone know the one year camaro where the Z28 was not offered??
    One year? I thought 67, 68, 10. :

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    One year? I thought 67, 68, 10. :
    67 z28 are very very rare, in the 600s i think

Thread Information