Thread: Camaro Weight!?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Camaro Weight!?

I was just wondering, cause I asume the usual weight that's given... is for a Camaro with T-tops and such...

how much should my camaro weigh?... um... with out driver... it's a Automatic with a hardtop... Z28...

ps. I ask this... because there is no place to get the weight of my car around here...

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Should be on the door pnael.

300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Ever try the dump? and yes it should be on the door

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

The door does not show the Curb Weight... just the GWAR...which is not the same thing at all...

I wanna know the curb weight... MSN Auto shows 3424lbs for an Automatic... but there is no way to tell wether their source weight a T-Top or not...etc etc

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

just google it dude...

White
    2002 Z28

I took mine to a scale at the track. It weighed 3438. That was with a 1/3 of a tank of gas, floor mats, backseat and spare all intact.

My car is an 02 Z28 with the power group, auto and T-Tops.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
    I took mine to a scale at the track. It weighed 3438. That was with a 1/3 of a tank of gas, floor mats, backseat and spare all intact.

My car is an 02 Z28 with the power group, auto and T-Tops.
    Nice!... now the question would be... do the T-Tops make much of a diffrence when it comes to that stuff...

I would think the diffrence would be minor

T-tops don't make much difference on weight, and the verts aren't much different from that either.

I've had solid roof, now a T-top and a vert currently, they are all within 60-70 lbs. of each other.

The only way to know for sure is to weigh it. Your local track if NHRA or IHRA sanctioned will have a scale.
    I've seen 4th gens all over the place, even a friends T-top car heavier than my convertable. No way to know for sure until you hit a scale with the car in question.

My vert is 3,620 lbs. An SS with automatic
    My T-top is 3,550 lbs. An SS with a 6 speed
    I had another Vert that weighed 3,540 lbs. A Z28 LT1 with a 6 speed. Even with a cast iron block and steel hood it came in lighter than my T-top car with an aluminum block and glass hood. Doesn't make sense on paper but the scales don't lie. They are all optioned identical. You just never know with these cars.

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    T-tops don't make much difference on weight, and the verts aren't much different from that either.

I've had solid roof, now a T-top and a vert currently, they are all within 60-70 lbs. of each other.

The only way to know for sure is to weigh it. Your local track if NHRA or IHRA sanctioned will have a scale.
    I've seen 4th gens all over the place, even a friends T-top car heavier than my convertable. No way to know for sure until you hit a scale with the car in question.

My vert is 3,620 lbs. An SS with automatic
    My T-top is 3,550 lbs. An SS with a 6 speed
    I had another Vert that weighed 3,540 lbs. A Z28 LT1 with a 6 speed. Even with a cast iron block and steel hood it came in lighter than my T-top car with an aluminum block and glass hood. Doesn't make sense on paper but the scales don't lie. They are all optioned identical. You just never know with these cars.
    When GM designed the 4th gen they kept in mind that the majority of the cars would be t-tops. They designed it to not need extra bracing for t-tops or verts. That keeps the weight down on the t-top cars and makes the solid roof cars heavier and stiffer than they need to be.

Cars are funny when it comes to weight. I had an 02 Z06 that weighed in at 3122. I also owned an 06 C6 that weighed in at 3136 with an A6. The C6 should have been a 100 pounds heavier than the C5 Z06.

My last 02 Z28 was had the same equipment this one has except it had the LS6 block and my current car doesn't. The last one weighed 3510 with an 1/8 of a tank of gas. This one is 70 pounds lighter, which is good since the driver is about 40 pounds heavier. LOL.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

I'm really interested in what mine weighs. But I would like to have a reliable method to weight it.

From the weights I've seen posted here and else where...something is not right. I can in no way see cars off the same assembly line showing the differences I've seen. It has to be scale accuracy and/or precision of the different scales.

Quote Originally Posted by BowTied View Post
    I'm really interested in what mine weighs. But I would like to have a reliable method to weight it.

From the weights I've seen posted here and else where...something is not right. I can in no way see cars off the same assembly line showing the differences I've seen. It has to be scale accuracy and/or precision of the different scales.
    Most any scale that is commercial use or certified will be accurate. That will include any scale at a feed store, a garbage or recycle facility, any NHRA or IHRA sanctioned race track. That includes just about any scale you would find in your neck of the woods. They are calibrated on a regular basis. Going to the same scale everytime would ensure even more consistency.

We used the same scale for our cars as well as other 4th gens we weighed. The results speak for themselves.

There are a few cars out there that are stripped down option wise but they are few and far between. Almost every 4th gen will have the usual power accessories like windows and seats etc...Where some of the minor differences come in is which transmission is used, or an SS verses a Z28 which has a glass hood verses steel, also the wheels are bigger on the SS, adding more weight.

This is another point to touch on. Alot of the younger people here are into the large by huge rims, adding significant weight penalties as well as bigger stereo systems and other things like that,,,that may not be taken into consideration when weighing a car. Or they have taken precautions to lighten cars like removing the spare tire assembly yet not posting that critical information. How much gas in the car is yet another very critical issue, since gas weighs 6 lbs. per gallon.

The weights I have posted on my vehicles were with spare tire, no effort was made to lighten the cars in anyway, and they still have their factory issued equipment as well as 1/2 tank of gas,,,,and no driver added.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

all you say makes alot of sense... I just need to find a place where i can weigh my car... so far I've heard of no such place here... hopefully soon I'll find something...

my car has been lightened just by way of moddin... the Magnaflow weighs alot less then the stock muffler... and the SLP Lid is also lighter then the stock assembly... but then I also added 2 point SFC's... which add like 30+lbs... removed all the Emissions stuff... which is also less weight... but everything inside is basicly stock...

also to help you make your point... in the Auto Trans cars... some like mine, are equiped with the Aluminum Driveshaft and 3.23's... the shaft ofcourse makes the whole weight less... then the 2.73 and Steel Driveshaft cars... all that stuff will help make for plenty of variance...

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

mine with hardtop cloth interoir manual tracks seats crank windows weight 3343 with 1/4 tank mine is all base model ss package just the way i like it doesnt even have rear defrost

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

I get the optioning differences. I looked a good deal a while back and when I found equally optioned cars the weights would be 60, 80 lbs difference.
    Now in this thinking I supposed that if a guy went to weigh his car he'd think about those woofers he put in but I may have figured wrong with that.

I'd trust a feed store scale I guess. They are weighing many things not too much heavier than our cars and 20 or 30 lbs to them means money. (Of course I could see shady outfits making out by it weighing 2 to 3% heavy as well, even with tare and net it is a little bit more money.)

I wouldn't trust big truck scales, IMO, you are asking a lot for something to weigh with precision at 2 tons when it can measure 30 or 50 tons.

Thread Information