Thread: Cam?

2002 z28

Cam?

im proud to say i'm a new owner of the z28 family. That being said, i'm already thinking bout what i can do. Its got the slp loudmouth, and im puttin a k&n cool air in the spring, but i've been told that the best real bang for your buck is investing in a new cam.
    Any input form others that have?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

M6 or A4? If A4 the a torque converter is the best bang for the buck.

On a related topic: Do sub-frame connectors 1st. You want to be able to close the doors in a few years, yes?
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I agree with 67 - SFCs FIRST! Then a stall converter. Tires are optional, but hows the 10 bolt? Any unusual noise whatsoever? If so, may want to look at holding off on tires, and coining up $3k for a new rear... DEPENDING on HOW serious you are!

Most guys do the intake and exhaust first, that's always a given. You're almost there...

While this is debatable, most would agree, SFCs should not be far off from the first mod, at all. Suspension is key. This factors in...

Torque Converter/Torque Arm is something to think about as well, after you get the car stiffened up. If you're wanting to upgrade the cam, you'll need a stall. Depends on how big the cam is, and how good the tuner is, to decide how much of a stall you want/need.

Then there's always the juice! But you need to think about plugs (which is only a few coins), fuel pressure, and ignition. I say ignition, but I've never heard of many people upgrading their wires. Probably something not worth mentioning for the most part, I guess.

And that's my worthless input

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

and they are both right you need to look into supporting mods first. There are steps you should take if you want it done right. Then you can always go with spray like mastercraft said that is by far the biggest bang for your buck 100+ hp instantly!

2002 z28

its a 6. and thanks i think i'm going to start saving up for the connectors, and probably wont be a while until the cam… starting to realize my clutch will most likely go within the next year?? knock on wood. and a cam would probably not help that lil issue out. On that note… bolt on vs weld pros vs cons? I want to do it myself so i was assuming bolt would be easier.. and clutch advice? obviously i want to buy with keeping in mind a higher hp i'm hoping near 450+ after a cam in a year ?

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

I'm an A4 guy so I can't help you too much but say check here http://www.ls1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65
    As far as sub-frame connectors go since you will be doing it yourself you can do bolt ons then just have them welded up for cheap at a later date. Since you will be waiting a while for a cam you choice will probably change a few times if not more before you get ready to get it. However a 228 would be great for a DD.

Thread Information