Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Build the v6??...Or go for the ls1??????

Obviously this will be biased towards the ls1. But i want everyone to really consider my situation and put thereself in my shoes.. I have a 2000 v6 automatic black camaro with 69k miles in very good shape and a good bit of cosmetic extras, that i have been trying to sell since rite after i got it, to get an SS.. My car just went off ebay not even a full minute before i started typing this. I started the auction at 7500, and ended with not a single bid. Needless to say this is very discouraging, especially because this was my backup plan after months of having it for sale all over my area. Im 16 years old and dont have much of an income so i cant just lower the price and take out a bigger loan. So the thoughts that i pushed out of my head a long time ago are starting to come back. I really do have some sentimental connection with this car because its my first (nice) car. So I am considering turbo'ing my v6 (most likely tt) and swaping for a manual. I know it will be hard to find parts and everything and it would be easier in the long run to just get the ls1, but I like this idea becuase the uniqueness of it and mainly because i cud do this over time instead of having to take a big loan in order to get the SS quickly to have a car for school and work. My questions are do you think this is a good idea (remember my age in money situation) and also what are my possibilities on tranny's.. iv heard that a t-56 would bolt up to a t5 bell housing with slight modifications and if this is true is that compatible with my v6 auto engine, this is probably a stupid question but im not all that knowledgeable with the transmissions....And my plan with the boost is to run low psi at first and turn it up slighty as i build the engine stronger.

All thought, ideas, and knowhow are greatly appriciated. Thank you

gold
    2000 honder accord

Take it from some one who ownes a V6. Buy the LS1. In the end you will be alot happier. But there are some strong V6 cars out there. If you do it right then you could definatly make around 400hp.

And to your tranny question, yes a T-5 will bolt up. But there will be alot of modification i.e. cutting a hole in the firewall for a clutch pedal, cables, etc.

It will be alot of time, money, and blood if you want to build your car.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

id stay auto... manuals suck, i have one
    their not hard to drive or anything... im actually good.. but they suck!
    i like autos way better and they shift way faster if u build them right

o and id build the v6, 3800 is the same displacement as the gran nationals and the GTPs and everyone knows their fast!

Black
    1999 Trans Am

This is just me, but if I were you I would continue to try to sell, to go for a Z28 or SS LS1. The reason I say that is, is becuase if this is a daily driver for you, which I assume it is considering your age (same position I'm in), the more you mod a V6 the more unreliable they become. Especially if you do forced induction. (Not positive on this, but its what I've heard) You can get an LS1 car that will easily make the power of a modded 3.8 and still mainting great reliability. I was also considering going the V6 route just becuase of the price difference, but decided to work 40 hour weeks at McDonalds at age 15 so I could go for the LS1. After thinking about it now, it was much more worth it to wait for the V8 than go for the 6 cylinder. Again, this is just my opinion. I know there will be others that say an LS1 isn't for a 16 year old...stick with the V6 for a while and others that say you should go with turboing your V6, but I say wait for the V8.

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Quote Originally Posted by andrew rs View Post
    Take it from some one who ownes a V6. Buy the LS1. In the end you will be alot happier. But there are some strong V6 cars out there. If you do it right then you could definatly make around 400hp.

And to your tranny question, yes a T-5 will bolt up. But there will be alot of modification i.e. cutting a hole in the firewall for a clutch pedal, cables, etc.

It will be alot of time, money, and blood if you want to build your car.
    Honestly, if i saw this thread somwhere, i would say exactly what you just said. But my mind is starting to change just because "the end" seems sooo much farther if i go the ls1 route than the turbo manual swap. and until the end of the ls1 route im stuck with a slow car.... And actually what i was askin with the tranny question is would a t-56 bolt up? i was pretty sure a t-5 would. And a may be wrong on this but isnt it just one big hole thru the firewall for all three pedals and the clutch part just wasnt used on the auto's?... just somthin iv heard... Thank you

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    This is just me, but if I were you I would continue to try to sell, to go for a Z28 or SS LS1. The reason I say that is, is becuase if this is a daily driver for you, which I assume it is considering your age (same position I'm in), the more you mod a V6 the more unreliable they become. Especially if you do forced induction. (Not positive on this, but its what I've heard) You can get an LS1 car that will easily make the power of a modded 3.8 and still mainting great reliability. I was also considering going the V6 route just becuase of the price difference, but decided to work 40 hour weeks at McDonalds at age 15 so I could go for the LS1. After thinking about it now, it was much more worth it to wait for the V8 than go for the 6 cylinder. Again, this is just my opinion. I know there will be others that say an LS1 isn't for a 16 year old...stick with the V6 for a while and others that say you should go with turboing your V6, but I say wait for the V8.
    You made a very big point rite there, forced induction (if not built to handle) will cut on the driveability... But on the other hand i figure by the time i am pushing alot of psi i will be ready for a lil beater. just like i would want with the v8 somwhere down the line

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

dont listen to them! build the v6 be different! ive always had thoughts on building a v6 camaro or firebird... i think its be cool as hell

and u can build any car to be reliable, it just depends on the quality or parts and work

if its turboed u can turn the boost down when ur daily driving it

no car is truly reliable and will not break, not even toyotas... cars fuck up constantly

i have a feeling if u get a ls1 its gonna be a higher mielage one and itl probably have some problems too... maybe transmission, power stering pump, oil pump... anything

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

go ls1. for the money you put into a v6..you could sell your v6 stock and then buy a ls1 and then some.

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    go ls1. for the money you put into a v6..you could sell your v6 stock and then buy a ls1 and then some.
    that may be true but a big thing for me has always been insurance.

I'm in the same situation as you... i need more speed but am in college = no $$. Theres even a z28 for sale by me for 8 grand which is a good deal but i just cant part with my 6. too many sentiments and i love the look of my car. So i've decided to get a torque converter and cam over turbo or sc or n2o.

Oh and i suggest going for a single turbo they actually seem to be more efficient from what i've read. idk if i'm allowed to post another forum on her so pm me if you want to know the v6 forum i go to that i read up on the turbo route from.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

yea but for instance my 01 grand am gt is only 100 bucks every 6 months less in insurance then a 98 trans am

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sskid View Post
    Obviously this will be biased towards the ls1. But i want everyone to really consider my situation and put thereself in my shoes.. I have a 2000 v6 automatic black camaro with 69k miles in very good shape and a good bit of cosmetic extras, that i have been trying to sell since rite after i got it, to get an SS.. My car just went off ebay not even a full minute before i started typing this. I started the auction at 7500, and ended with not a single bid. Needless to say this is very discouraging, especially because this was my backup plan after months of having it for sale all over my area. Im 16 years old and dont have much of an income so i cant just lower the price and take out a bigger loan. So the thoughts that i pushed out of my head a long time ago are starting to come back. I really do have some sentimental connection with this car because its my first (nice) car. So I am considering turbo'ing my v6 (most likely tt) and swaping for a manual. I know it will be hard to find parts and everything and it would be easier in the long run to just get the ls1, but I like this idea becuase the uniqueness of it and mainly because i cud do this over time instead of having to take a big loan in order to get the SS quickly to have a car for school and work. My questions are do you think this is a good idea (remember my age in money situation) and also what are my possibilities on tranny's.. iv heard that a t-56 would bolt up to a t5 bell housing with slight modifications and if this is true is that compatible with my v6 auto engine, this is probably a stupid question but im not all that knowledgeable with the transmissions....And my plan with the boost is to run low psi at first and turn it up slighty as i build the engine stronger.

All thought, ideas, and knowhow are greatly appriciated. Thank you
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just be patient. If the car looks good it will sell! Some 16yr old girl's Parents will buy it for her. I was in the same situation as you. I bough a v6 and about a month awterwards I was ready to upgrade. I was thinking about turboing it but decided to save the work and just get an ls1. SO GLAD I DID!

I had a '98 black 5 speed camaro with 130,000 miles on it. The only option it has was power locks. I advertised it on craigslist and autotrader for $6,500 and it didn't really get that many calls. Untill one day a 16 girl calls me and wants to know if her and her mom can come and look at it. They bought it for full price.

I am so glad I got my T/A. There are so many thing other than just the motor that are better. like the posi trac rearend.

Plus switching the tranny would be way too much work.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

oh, and insurance only went up $70 for 6 months! And I get the same gas mileage. It's a no brainer! (no offense)

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

But my mind is starting to change just because "the end" seems sooo much farther if i go the ls1 route than the turbo manual swap. and until the end of the ls1 route im stuck with a slow car....
    whoa kid....

slow car? an ls1? cant be used in conjunction. if by slow you mean not as fast in stock trim, although i think many gt owners would beg to differ about a low 13 1/4 mile stock being slow.

turbo'd v6s arent that original man, not to burst your bubble, and even if you manage to make it work you will never see the performance out of it you would see with a simply modified ls1.

boost pressure isnt gentle man, and i doubt very seriously that the v6 will respond well to it for a long period of time. and if you run a low psi, youll probably be running 13 anyway...so why not get an ls1?

the cost efficiency is grossly in the ls1's favor, you just think its not because you havent considered all that is involved in building a fast and reliable boosted engine. i dont want to go into details, but the idea is that its effectiveness pales in comparison to the trusty v8.

if you need me to elaborate further just ask, but the point is that you should probably get an ls1 if you want to go fast semi-cheaply and safely.

take a stock f body. lets say you pull of a 13.6 at the strip with an auto....
    you could probably pull something similar to this with a boosted 6 with all the suspension and blah blah....not to mention the plethora of turbo components.

lets say you put a 150 shot of nitrous into the ls1 and get it tuned accordingly.

drag radials...and poof, a high 11 second car.

thats just with nitrous. think of the possibilities....

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Secongearscratch- you misunderstood me. I was saying if i choose to go the ls1 route im stuck with my slow (v6) until i sell it for what i need and find a good price ls1...... But i understand what ur sayin with everything else and i think my mind is goin back to the ls1.

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Quote Originally Posted by drewhenderson13 View Post
    dont listen to them! build the v6 be different! ive always had thoughts on building a v6 camaro or firebird... i think its be cool as hell

and u can build any car to be reliable, it just depends on the quality or parts and work

if its turboed u can turn the boost down when ur daily driving it

no car is truly reliable and will not break, not even toyotas... cars fuck up constantly

i have a feeling if u get a ls1 its gonna be a higher mielage one and itl probably have some problems too... maybe transmission, power stering pump, oil pump... anything
    I really want to go this route but everyone else really has good points. the cost and trouble to actually build it right and do the swap is now seeming like it will override the price of getting and ls1 and not even be much faster than an almost stock ls1.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

IMHO you should just drive the V6 car and save your $$ for later. Get your education done, get a good paying job THEN go for the fast car. By that time they'll probably have something out that shits all over an LS1.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Secongearscratch- you misunderstood me. I was saying if i choose to go the ls1 route im stuck with my slow (v6) until i sell it for what i need and find a good price ls1...... But i understand what ur sayin with everything else and i think my mind is goin back to the ls1.
    OH....

well then. their really is no comparison. you will have to change so much just to get the v6 on par with the ls1 in virtually every category, then turbo it to run 13s???? fuck that.

being different? put an "im different" sticker on your ls1 and run 11s.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    IMHO you should just drive the V6 car and save your $$ for later. Get your education done, get a good paying job THEN go for the fast car. By that time they'll probably have something out that shits all over an LS1.
    like an ls2? or 3? or 7?

but youre right on the money.

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Thatss probly the best option but theres no way i could do that. I live for the rush of a fast car and this automatic v6 just isnt cuttin it. Plus if i take a loan it will keep me modivated to work.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

look kid... just follow the voice of reason...going fast is over rated...if you can barelly even pay the gas for it... plus insurance... plus future mods...I've been craving to have a fast car since before I got my license...but it didn't make much sense for me...economically...but now... I'm almost out of College... I got money...and the car I wanted... it all works out in the end if you have a little patience...

the SS/Z28 idea makes a lot more sense... considering you'd be droping exesses of $5K... just to get the 3.8 runnnin, Manual... and better handling... not counting the cost of turboing...
    Mods: SLP Air Lid w/ KN, Free-Mods, LS6 Manifold, Magnaflow, Headers, EFILive
    Visuals: Angel eyes, rear eurolights and T/A rims
    Suspension: Eibach ProKit, UMI Adj. Panhard, SFC's, LCA Relocation brakets, KYB AGX shocks

http://www.fquick.com/garages/Chevro...28/1999/23674/

Thread Information