Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

bought a 2002 SS need help

I just bought a 2002 Camaro SS red with white stripes, nose and drivers fender damaged, no Engine, tranny or radiator 3500.00 bucks I want to put in an LS2 or LS7 engine and Trans from a corvette in to it, has anoyone done this and what would need to happen, since I paid little for the car I am willing to pay good money for the engine and trans setup.. What would you do?

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

I would sell what u got and buy a good used camaro for about 8 to 10 grand, and start there. you wont have to worrie about the thing falling apart. my 2 cents

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Do the stripes fade away into a checkerboard pattern?

Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    I would sell what u got and buy a good used camaro for about 8 to 10 grand, and start there. you wont have to worrie about the thing falling apart. my 2 cents
    other than the front end damage the car is perfect, only had 20,000 miles
    is it too much work to put a LS2 or better in there? I want to build a fast streetable car and looks stock and sounds stock, so starting with a better engine was my thought...

Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Do the stripes fade away into a checkerboard pattern?
    Yes right up by the windshield and continue on the back trunk lid

I am not sure what happened to the car and how it came to be this way, but I got it from a friends garage, it was there for over a year
    and he got the title and wanted it gone. I think a customer left it and never wanted or claimed it??????
    Last edited by 2K05GT; 05-29-2008 at 02:09 PM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

You have a 35th Anniversary LE model. These were special editions comemorating the 35th Anniversary of the Camaro. All were SS's with special paint and stripes along with special interior.

An LS2 would be right at home in it. If I was you, I'd go for a stroked version though. 4" crank with the LS2 4" bore = 402 cid. One of my friends did this and now he has a 497 rwhp mover.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

^^^agreed

Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    ^^^agreed
    Cool, Thanks,
    So build a block from the ground up instead of a create motor,
    it take a bit longer but sounds like it might be worth it?.

If it's a special edition then would it be better to return it back to stock form?
    or don't worry about it.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    Cool, Thanks,
    So build a block from the ground up instead of a create motor,
    it take a bit longer but sounds like it might be worth it?.

If it's a special edition then would it be better to return it back to stock form?
    or don't worry about it.
    IIRC, the 402 is sold as a crate motor by a couple of different places. My friend bought a long block and had to use only a few items from his LS1. There were some differences though but I can't remember what they were.

As far as returning it back to stock? I suppose that's up to you. I don't know off hand how many they made but they're not that common.

Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

IIRC, the 402 is sold as a crate motor by a couple of different places. My friend bought a long block and had to use only a few items from his LS1. There were some differences though but I can't remember what they were.

As far as returning it back to stock? I suppose that's up to you. I don't know off hand how many they made but they're not that common.
    Yea I would rather have fun with it, and since the origional motor is gone it really would not matter.

the rubber casket is torn on the t-top. does anyone have a list of places I can purchase items like this?

thanks for your help, the 4th gen Camaro is a bit out of my area of expertise
    so any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

Well the Mechanic just got the title for the car so I get to start working on it, but we found out somthing strange, the Camaro is a 2001 not an 02, so the stripes are aftermarket, Ii got a great deal on a used LS1 and trans.
    We are sending the tranny out for some work and I am going to start working ing on the motor, I want to do some internal work, what do some of you suggest, I am doing a cam and heads for sure. Any help please.
    I am in florida now and found new headers for 200.00 trough my brothers shop. I want a true dual exhaust so what mufflers sound nice with this setup?

Thanks

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Well the Mechanic just got the title for the car so I get to start working on it, but we found out somthing strange, the Camaro is a 2001 not an 02, so the stripes are aftermarket, Ii got a great deal on a used LS1 and trans.
    We are sending the tranny out for some work and I am going to start working ing on the motor, I want to do some internal work, what do some of you suggest, I am doing a cam and heads for sure. Any help please.
    I am in florida now and found new headers for 200.00 trough my brothers shop. I want a true dual exhaust so what mufflers sound nice with this setup?

Thanks
    200?? what are they??? .which motor did u go with? 402?

Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    200?? what are they??? .which motor did u go with? 402?
    the headers are Pacesetter ceramic coated.

My Mechanic steared me away from putting an LS2 in, the cost of the ECU, Wiring Ect would be a pain in do so he was able to get an LS1 engine and manual tranny from a 2002 camaro so it sould be an easy drop in. I want to get at least 450 RWHP from the engine so what would I need to do?

The used engine has 80K so I am doing a complete rebuild all the way down to the crank, rods, pistons... I really need your help. what to get.
    Last edited by 2K05GT; 07-06-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

the headers are Pacesetter ceramic coated.

My Mechanic steared me away from putting an LS2 in, the cost of the ECU, Wiring Ect would be a pain in do so he was able to get an LS1 engine and manual tranny from a 2002 camaro so it sould be an easy drop in. I want to get at least 450 RWHP from the engine so what would I need to do?

The used engine has 80K so I am doing a complete rebuild all the way down to the crank, rods, pistons... I really need your help. what to get.
    First thing you should look at is --- What are you trying to do with the car and what is your budget? Are you trying to Drag Race, Autocross, Street Drive or what? Would you like to keep it N/A or do you want a power adder? (Nitrous, Turbo, Supercharger)??

You can easily reach 450 HP with a good build on an LS1, even a 383 stroker would do good with a good cam an head setup you can reach 450 hp N/A. but you've got to look at what you want in the end.

Also, you may want to think about a new rear end depending on what you're looking to do with the car in the future. Just my .02

2000 Camaro SS, M6, Edelbrock LT's, Eibach Pro-Kit, Edelbrock Adjustable Coil-Overs
    1986 Camaro Iroc LS1 Swap In Progress

Blue Magic...
    Like Pepsi It's A Brand Name...

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

You have a 35th Anniversary LE model. These were special editions comemorating the 35th Anniversary of the Camaro. All were SS's with special paint and stripes along with special interior.

An LS2 would be right at home in it. If I was you, I'd go for a stroked version though. 4" crank with the LS2 4" bore = 402 cid. One of my friends did this and now he has a 497 rwhp mover.

Not necessarily. You can buy stripes for these cars so it's not hard to clone the look of a 35th SS. He also said the stripes were white. 35th SS stripes were silver.

Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Not necessarily. You can buy stripes for these cars so it's not hard to clone the look of a 35th SS. He also said the stripes were white. 35th SS stripes were silver.
    t to build a street car

Yes that would have been a dead giveaway, but the car is a clone and was riced out, i had Nitrous, neon lights underside, stick on crap I pulled off, as well as chinese letters on the back. I am leaving it red since I found a front nose and fender that matches. The paint is perfect so why change it.

I am going to peal off the sticker stripes and not make is a poser car.

I want to build a street car that will see racing at the track.

Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

what would I need for the LS2 to work, would the LS1 ECU work? or ae there aftermarket computers.

Please excuses all my questions, I am used to building Carb engines and the new LSx is foreign to me.

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Don't quote me on this... but I'm pretty sure that you'd need an LS2 computer for it...

Thread Information