pewter
    2000 SS

Best way to drag Race?

I just bought an 2000 SS 6 speed and was wondering how is the best way to drag race it? Like do you guys rev up to about 4000 in first and just drop the clutch or what?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Only if you think your rear end was a naughty child and wanted to punish it...

You're going to have to feather the throttle and clutch on the launch otherwise you will just spin. Learn your car and you will launch it like a pro.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

^ Either that or you'll end up smoking the clutch.

Practice makes perfect. I can spin the tires with ease in my 98 and it has 175,xxx miles on it.

Black 99 Z71
    Red 01 Z28 M6

I rev at 2500 rpms or maybe just a little more, and then feather the clutch and gas. As in, dont just dump it, but let it out slower as your giving it more gas. At least I think thats how i do it..
    2001 Z28 M6
    SLP Loudmouth 1 catback, functional ram air hood, Pro 5.0 shifter, free mods, HSW wet nitrous kit

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by gfeller2006 View Post
    I just bought an 2000 SS 6 speed and was wondering how is the best way to drag race it? Like do you guys rev up to about 4000 in first and just drop the clutch or what?
    get some slicks and then dump it at 4000........

haha DONT DO THAT!!!!!!!! ^^^^^ lmfao..

i just DD mine.. i have no idea how to race a m6..

ask me about an A4 though!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

For my best 60 ft times, I try to equally slip my tires and clutch. That way I am near a 2.0, +/- .05. Practice, then more practice. Get to your local track on test and tune, have fun!

Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

the impulse is to just smash it right out of the box, but you have to be gentle with her until she gets goin or you will be going nowhere in a cloud of smoke. you just have to find your car's g-spot.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

+1

...It's all about the g

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by gfeller2006 View Post
    If you have the stock clutch, stock rear end and/or street tires, dropping the clutch at 4000 rpm isn't going to do you any good....you'll likely spin all over the place. If you do manage to dead hook, you stand a good chance of breaking something. HAHA!

Most of us come off the line around 2500 rpm and simply feather the throttle to minimize the wheelspin. As you mod more, this will become more and more challenging and consequently a much bigger pain in the a$$!

The simple fix (albeit roughly $3K - $4K) for this is a 9" rear + LS7 clutch and a really sticky tire. Then you can dump it at 4000 rpm and hang on tight!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    If you have the stock clutch, stock rear end and/or street tires, dropping the clutch at 4000 rpm isn't going to do you any good....you'll likely spin all over the place. If you do manage to dead hook, you stand a good chance of breaking something. HAHA!

Most of us come off the line around 2500 rpm and simply feather the throttle to minimize the wheelspin. As you mod more, this will become more and more challenging and consequently a much bigger pain in the a$$!

The simple fix (albeit roughly $3K - $4K) for this is a 9" rear + LS7 clutch and a really sticky tire. Then you can dump it at 4000 rpm and hang on tight!
    Yeah baby, hold on tight! I have never had a car to the drag strip and used slicks. Always my DD and too afraid of lunching the differential. I've driven '67 Firebirds (manual), '67 GTO and a '67 LeMans at the strip the past 20 years or so. My '00 WS6 is the fastest by far, and almost triple the gas MPG. Amazing.

Car junkie

Hugger Orange
    '99 Chevy Camaro SS

Get some Nitto 555R DR's, hold it at no more than 3800, then let the clutch fly & hit it-that's how I got my 1.89 60' with a bolt-on only car runnin' 13.1's. At 4000 I spin, a lot of times the car dead hooks, then falls on its face at lower than 3800RPM-it's the hardest part about an M6 Btw, I have a Z06 clutch that I've kicked out sideways a few ft in 4TH GEAR 5 times & I'll never buy a diff. clutch again So, once u get outta the hole, make sure u don't go past 6200RPM cuz that's when our motors start bending pushrods . I broke 1 in half, but I've been told that free-revving does that kinda damage, too, so avoid that also. Good luck & just be patient cuz it took me a while to perfect the launch

black
    2001 Camaro SS

I'm still perfecting my launch on the street but on a warm night i'll rev it to like 2100 and i wouldn't say dump... but snap the clutch to ALMOST fully engaged then use that last but to slip it... i dunno about my 60ft but it allows me to beat my buddy's trans am with a pan hard bar and lca... but that could be the worst way ever to launch.. i just hate slippin my clutch a lot because i think too much when i do it and just roast the clutch

basically i just see it as an easy newbie launch that keeps the car from falling on it's face but prolly isn't "perfection of the art"

Thread Information