Black
    2000 T/A

Question Best Black Taillights

So my car is all blacked out well today I detailed it like crazy, which I haven't done in over a year, anyway.

my tail covers look like shit.

should I niteshade them? I want them to look smooth and natural, or should I just get more covers? or should I have someone on here volunteer to do them?

by volunteer I mean offer to do so and I pay you, but you know.

I've niteshaded my corner lenses and third brake, but i'm not confindent enough to do my tails.

let me know?

Black
    98 Z28

Well. . there are some positives and negitives with each choice.

If you go with covers and the cops pull you over you can allways take them off. Or if you get in an accident you can allways pull them off for insurance reasons. On the downside they can get stolen, easly scratched, or melt from the heat of the lamps.

If you go with nightshade it has a much nicer look if you ask me. You can steal the nightshade off of the lamps. But on the down side you might mess up painting them (although you can wetsand it off). If you get in an accident insurance might not cover you.

IMO i would go with nightshade and call it a day but thats just me.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

I would go covers they are easy to take off if cops give you crap for them! Then again cops don't bother me in the SS (knock on wood), But my cavi seems to attract the cops and I always get pulled over for my blackouts..
    Last edited by Teknik_SS; 11-09-2009 at 01:13 AM.

Black
    2000 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by FullBlack4thGen View Post
    On the downside they can get stolen, easly scratched
    that's what happened to these. some jerk tried to steal them and put a big crack in one, and they're all scratched up now. but they've been on the car since i've had it. 2 years. and it lives outside

Black
    98 Z28

I forgot to add this before. Most cops dont know cars very well. If you have covers and say "Thats how it came officer" then they can still bust your ass easy. If you lightly nightshade them and say the same or "Im pretty sure thats stock" you have a better chance of getting off imo.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

tint FTW

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

niteshade. just take your time with it, it's hard to mess up.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

there's always the option of getting a set of the black LED style lights off of ebay.

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

niteshades gay, find a painter and have him do it, i know theres someone on my local board thats done alot of tail lights, i think he mixes clear and black and sprays it, from everything ive read online this works way better than using niteshade

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28guy View Post
    niteshades gay, find a painter and have him do it, i know theres someone on my local board thats done alot of tail lights, i think he mixes clear and black and sprays it, from everything ive read online this works way better than using niteshade
    Depends on the person. If the guy spraying the lights. If its mixed wrong it will look like junk. Regardless its going to cost more then the nightshade.

Junior Member jason_a_marzewski's Avatar

BRIGHT RALLY RED
    2002 CAMARO Z28RS

Cool VHT NIGHSHADE vs. TAIL LIGHT COVERS

I really like the VHT NiteShades spray. I applied several light coats to ensure that the lenses were dark enough to look menacing and complement my black tail panel, but not so dark that it prevents too much light from being emitted through the final application. I then put several coats of automotive clear coat on over top and, once the clear had dried and cured for several days, polished the paint with Turtle Wax brand liquid clay bar on a round Mother's Power Ball. They look factory, and the cool thing is that the raised OEM part number on each lamp is completely visible; I can politely point them out to any law enforcement officer who pulls me over.

I once had GTS tail light covers on my car and I didn't enjoy them for these reasons:

1.) The company is very proud of its products and stamps its logo on each cover and, to me, looks gaudy. While the logos can be removed, it's a time-consuming task that can be frustrating to complete.

2.) The covers are thicker than judiciously applied paint and subsequently don't let nearly as much light shine through.

3.) Because the covers have some thickness and dimension to them, they can usually be spotted as "plastic add-ons" and can look cheap to some viewers.

4.) Dust and grime can accumulate behind the covers, ruining their appearance and decreasing the amount of light that can shine through them.

5.) The covers can become loose over time; one of mine blew off during a gust of winter wind as I was driving along the freeway.

6.) The covers can become disturbed or blown off in a car wash.

Anyway, that's my opinion based on experience; ultimately cars are art and art is subjective. Make your art the way you want and then enjoy YOUR masterpiece!

- J@M

Black
    2000 T/A

4 and 5 were the reasons I hated mine.

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by jason_a_marzewski View Post
    Click for full size

I really like the VHT NiteShades spray. I applied several light coats to ensure that the lenses were dark enough to look menacing and complement my black tail panel, but not so dark that it prevents too much light from being emitted through the final application. I then put several coats of automotive clear coat on over top and, once the clear had dried and cured for several days, polished the paint with Turtle Wax brand liquid clay bar on a round Mother's Power Ball. They look factory, and the cool thing is that the raised OEM part number on each lamp is completely visible; I can politely point them out to any law enforcement officer who pulls me over.

I once had GTS tail light covers on my car and I didn't enjoy them for these reasons:

1.) The company is very proud of its products and stamps its logo on each cover and, to me, looks gaudy. While the logos can be removed, it's a time-consuming task that can be frustrating to complete.

2.) The covers are thicker than judiciously applied paint and subsequently don't let nearly as much light shine through.

3.) Because the covers have some thickness and dimension to them, they can usually be spotted as "plastic add-ons" and can look cheap to some viewers.

4.) Dust and grime can accumulate behind the covers, ruining their appearance and decreasing the amount of light that can shine through them.

5.) The covers can become loose over time; one of mine blew off during a gust of winter wind as I was driving along the freeway.

6.) The covers can become disturbed or blown off in a car wash.

Anyway, that's my opinion based on experience; ultimately cars are art and art is subjective. Make your art the way you want and then enjoy YOUR masterpiece!

- J@M
    that looks real good.. maybe i should just gun it and do this... worst case is ill have to take it off to get it to pass inspection, but it doesnt seem to hard to apply...

the only thing

i have a crack in one of my reverse portion of the tail lights.. would this cause an issue for spraying?

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    tint FTW
    Well said Tater! Tint does not crack, fly off, and is not permanent. Peel it off if you need, cleans easy, and does not cost a lot. Good info Tater!

2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    Well said Tater! Tint does not crack, fly off, and is not permanent. Peel it off if you need, cleans easy, and does not cost a lot. Good info Tater!

Click for full size
    makes me wanna go out and do mine

Black
    2000 T/A

i've niteshaded my sidemarkers and third brake light i did 4 coats, they came out great, now to try the tails
    Last edited by Getzen_Guy; 11-17-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Thread Information