Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Batteries

What kind of batteries do all of you use? I am using an Optima Red Top battery atm, and I feel like it isn't doing so good. Has anyone had any issues with the red top, or any Optima batteries? Also, what brands would everyone recommend on buying?

I do want to upgrade the sound system in my car along with the headunit, so I think I might want a bit more juice for all of that + the phatbox I have.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

I have had an issue with the last red top I had. It only lasted 8 months after I bought it. I ended up taking it back to costco where I bought it for a full refund. I ended up getting a kirkland deep cycle that is working just fine. I also have an upgraded sound system.
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

A couple of guys have apparently had issues with Optima batteries. I have an ugly ass green Interstate battery in our car that works just fine. Once it dies though, I'll swap back over to a stock style AC-Delco most likely. I would not recommend a "deep cycle" battery for automotive use. Not really what they are intended for.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Delco is the only battery I run in any of my vehicles.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Red
    2001 WS6

I have a red top optima in the TA for the past 2 years has treated me good so far. I guess i am lucky. Braille 15 lb battery in the Vette.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

On all my other cars I bought a Duralast from Autozone, and have had good results with them. When the one in my Camaro went out I picked up an O'reilly's brand. It was junk.

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Hmm, interesting. My problem is my dash lights/headlights pulsate when the car is running. I figured it might be a battery/alternator issue. The car doesn't idle good either, but that is due to an air issue.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by chaosinfinite View Post
    Hmm, interesting. My problem is my dash lights/headlights pulsate when the car is running. I figured it might be a battery/alternator issue. The car doesn't idle good either, but that is due to an air issue.
    Does it just do it at idle? or does it do it when you give it gas too? After I put the junk O'reilly's one in my headlights would dim when I let off the gas.

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

I think it does it during both times, however, I notice it a lot more when I am just idling.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

I researched best battery for the money last year I think.

I ended up buying a duralast one and it has been great. I use it in the camaro in the summer and I take it out and use it in my 93 buick lesabre in the winter. Both extremes, works great! I even listen to music in the car regularly on just the battery and it never gives up

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Most people that have problems with a Battery don't realize that if the Battery sits it discharges over time. After only 3 months a battery can lose 25% of it's charge, esp. if the car sits all that time. If the car was driven all the time there would be no issues.
    Alternators are not battery chargers they are maintainers, it won't boost a battery back to 100% unless you drive it non stop across the country. People with cars in storage should be at the least pulling the battery and charging it before the next use, or hooking the battery up to a Tender to keep it charged.
    I work for a Interstate Batteries and stand behind them, I also sell Optima's and wouldn't waste my time with them.
    Last edited by 9T8W66; 01-28-2011 at 03:08 PM.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

I use ACdelcos in everything here that is GM. I like to keep the stock look and the black AC's do that for me, not to mention I've gotten some ridiculous life out of them. On a couple of them as much as 11 years on a 7 year battery.
    With one acception, I did buy a red top Optima for a jeep we had,,and it now resides in my blazer,,,,and I can't stand the damn thing. It's worked fine, but what bothers me is the "one size fits all" crap. It wasn't even close to fitting into our 4th gens so I don't know how you guys are doing it without hacking something. 4th gens are designed for a smaller 75 series battery,,,and the Optima isn't even close.
    Not to mention it's funky case design doesn't allow factory hold down clamps to do their jobs. They come with these cheesy plastic pieces that clip onto the sides to square it up,,,but the hold down clamps still don't work.
    Why did they have to go and make a funky case for a battery, and then only offer it one size Not to mention they are heavy as hell, about 8-10 lbs. more than the correct 75 series battery.
    Sorry for the rant,,,,I have nothing good to say about Optimas.

Stick with what fits correctly and has a good reputation and you'll be much happier.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Delco in everything I own

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Yeah, I got it because of the lights dimming in my car previous to this. The battery I had was an Interstate one. I wasn't too happy with it since the side of it was corroding, and to make matters worse, it was corroding against the metal frame piece that sits in front of the battery. With the red top though it seems like it has became worse over time. I don't leave my car sitting either. It is my DD. All I do know is my friend used my battery to jump start his motorcycle once. To do that he took my battery completely out of my car and hooked it to his bike or something. After he was done with it he put it back into my car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I use ACdelcos in everything here that is GM. I like to keep the stock look and the black AC's do that for me, not to mention I've gotten some ridiculous life out of them. On a couple of them as much as 11 years on a 7 year battery.
    With one acception, I did buy a red top Optima for a jeep we had,,and it now resides in my blazer,,,,and I can't stand the damn thing. It's worked fine, but what bothers me is the "one size fits all" crap. It wasn't even close to fitting into our 4th gens so I don't know how you guys are doing it without hacking something. 4th gens are designed for a smaller 75 series battery,,,and the Optima isn't even close.
    Not to mention it's funky case design doesn't allow factory hold down clamps to do their jobs. They come with these cheesy plastic pieces that clip onto the sides to square it up,,,but the hold down clamps still don't work.
    Why did they have to go and make a funky case for a battery, and then only offer it one size Not to mention they are heavy as hell, about 8-10 lbs. more than the correct 75 series battery.
    Sorry for the rant,,,,I have nothing good to say about Optimas.

Stick with what fits correctly and has a good reputation and you'll be much happier.
    I agree with everything above, although they do make a 75 case size Optima #SC75U

My battery cost 56 bucks at pep boys, it is so light I get 1 RWHP.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    I agree with everything above, although they do make a 75 case size Optima #SC75U
    Guess when I bought mine they didn't have it?? It's been a couple years.
    I still wouldn't buy it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    My battery cost 56 bucks at pep boys, it is so light I get 1 RWHP.
    My nit picking of battery weight comes from years of racing in Pure Stock. When it comes to just a few lbs. off the nose these guys are dead serious, and every little bit counts.

Next time you hit the stores battery shopping, take a small scale with you. You'd be surprised at the large differences in weights from one brand to the next, even when you stay in the same series of batteries.
    Some guys even take this to extremes with small motorcycle size type batteries and hide them inside a gutted full size case, to make the car appear stock.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I run Interstate in all cars, trucks and even the garden tractors.
    They last a long time. Had 1 make it 10 years.
    No problems even with the car that sits all winter and the tractor batteries. Start on the first crank in the spring without a charger.

I have never owned a Optima. Have had problems with Battery Wholesale batteries. They don't like winter.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

I also had an optima red top battery. Didnt last very long. They also take a certain type of charge when they go dead because they are agm batteries.
    just recently got a costco battery.

Thread Information