Blue
    2000 camaro ss

bad track times...

i have an 00SS it has lts,exhaust,lid, and UD Pulleys. before when i just had catback my car dynoed at 323hp and i think 348 torque. and at the track my best time was 13.9 -.-. i'm guessing it's my launch. it's consistently a 2.5-2.8 it seems it either spins or bogs down. i can't seem to find the "sweet spot" and i'll only trap at 103-105. any thoughts? tips? something

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Definitely your 60' time. You should be at least around a 2.0 60' time.

Every tenth you shave off your 60' time you shave about two tenths off in the 1/4.

Are you an auto or M6?

Blue
    2000 camaro ss

my bad. an m6

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by camarospade View Post
    my bad. an m6
    And I assume you are running street tires also?

Best way to launch your car is hold the RPM at about 2500 (this is what worked best for me when I was about stock) and you have to "feather" the clutch out on take-off.

If you are trying to just dump the clutch, you will either a)spin or b)bog down.

When I was complete stock with stock tires using the above method I would cut about a 2.0-2.1 60' time.

Blue
    2000 camaro ss

yeah. firehawk ovals. 295/35/18.
    and hold it at 2500 until the clutch is completely out and i'm going?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by camarospade View Post
    yeah. firehawk ovals. 295/35/18.
    and hold it at 2500 until the clutch is completely out and i'm going?
    That is what I did. Let the clutch out slowly while maintaining the RPM. You want to try different RPM's though. What worked for me might not be optimal for you.

Practice makes perfect

Blue
    2000 camaro ss

alright i'll be sure to try it. i think i'm going again friday so i hope it works. any thoughts on what it should be running? and thanks for the info it's appreciated.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It's really hard to say with a M6...there are so many variables with shifting. Lots of people think they shift good, but they really don't. The reality is you can easily lose a few tenths just in shifting alone from one person to another.

With your HP numbers before LTs, etc, I'd guess about 13.0-13.1. It is all in your 60' time though. You may even be able to dip into the high 12's.

How many times have you run down the track?

Blue
    2000 camaro ss

6 or so. 14 flat consistent. i didn't try to do what you said though in cause i was gonna originally do that but i was told i'd burn out my clutch and didn't feel like burning it out and buying a new one.

NBM
    2000 FRC Camaro SS

OP we have real compareable cars, usally I wouldn't post my lousy times. I'm running a hard top SS, Auto, 3.23 gears, mods list at the bottom.

My best last sunday was 13.22 @ 105.6, no 60' because some clown ran over the lights on a motorcyle. I was running real consistant 13.3's most of the day, I couldn't get a decent 60, most of mine were 2.0 to 2.2'ish. I did 10 passes, 8 were good, gained a little bit better feel each time I did it.

TWO HUGE Recommendations.

1. Have someone watch when you run and tell you what the tires are doing, are both tires spinning, one tire? Check your fender wells they'll talk to you as well... rubber in the wheel wells? My issue is my diff is giong out, I'm doing right tire burn outs to the extreem, but from inside the car I don't feel it. Your tires are not 'good' for drag raceing, you're going to burn them up quickly and it's going to cost you money, BUT I used to be able to launch my 97 Trans Am to 13.0 @ 105, with a 1.7'sh 60 on 17" firehawk ovals. 285/40/17, that car dynoed 301hp and was heavy. I don't know what my SS has hp wise because I got it 3 months ago and am not far enough along to pay for a dyno run... I would have though I'd break 12.9 mostly stock from the way it feels, after gears and with slicks it'll be there?

I would recommend you find some drag tires, I just bought some M/T ET Streets, on 16" wheels, for $300 slightly used... they'll pay for them selves in the wear you're not putting on the 18's and they'll hook.

2. you're going to burn up a clutch or two or three, and you're going to blow out the 10 bolt rear end, there's no "budget" in drag raceing... why you won't see me post some better times for a few months as i pay for a Ford 9" with 3.75's. So dump the clutch, feather the clutch, slip the clutch, get a spotter... and keep pushing on, 1360 feet of experance with every pass! You'll break into the 13's with experiance, a little more money will get you to the 12's... get ready to pay to get into the 11's.

Mod List: LG LCA, BMR LCA relocation, UMI Pan Hard Rod, UMI Torque Arm relocation, UMI 3pt SFC, Bilstien shocks, Eibach Sport Line front springs, 1LE rear springs, Strut tower brace, Borla cat back Exhaust, QTP cut out (in borla), TA leather interior, TA shift "T" handle, SLP Lid, bypassed the automatic head lights, Katech tentioner, power antenna.

Future Mods: Pair of LS2 243 heads in the garage... buying a Moser 9" by the end of the month hopefully, headers, Y and LS6 intake by fall... after another deployment CAM, Heads, tune and stall.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Work on improving your launch, and you will see your times dip down into the mid to low 13s.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

As an example, I dyno'd 330rwhp and 342rwtq and I am a M6 with 4.11 gears.

I ran a 13.16 @ 107MPH with a 1.907 60' time. With my MPH, I am guessing I can get my car down to about a 12.7 with practice.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

dyno numbers mean near nothing in 1/4 runs...it is all about suspension/chassis and how you set your car up to use the power. On top of that...you should always check your weather after the strip and get it DA corrected...if it was extremely hot and muggy..that is going to throw off your times.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

i have 245 firehawk wide oval tires and i never spin at my local track..

as others have mentioned, i let out the clutch slowly and launch with the rpms between 2k-2500.

got me a 60' of 2.2ish consistently on 245s and my first track day

my car was a bone stock M6 at the time..

Thread Information