Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Back end issues....

So I've noticed lately that the back of my car seems loose and wants to kinda sway. It's really bad when the wind gets under the car and it wants to pull to the right for no reason. I'm thinking it needs an alignment but it could also be the sway bar. Any thoughts on what I should do? I had new tires and a front alignment in Dec.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Could be an issue with suspension bushings, a broken suspension mount, or totally whipped shocks. Any unusual noises or tire wear?

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Could be an issue with suspension bushings, a broken suspension mount, or totally whipped shocks. Any unusual noises or tire wear?
    nothing that I've noticed. The car has 63,345 miles and I don't think the shocks are worn out.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Methinks maybe a worn panhard bar bushing?

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    would doing doughnuts cause that? The guy I bought it from, come to find out posted vids of him doing that.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    would doing doughnuts cause that? The guy I bought it from, come to find out posted vids of him doing that.
    Might not be a bad idea to put the car up on a 4-post lift so you can check things out with the suspension loaded. As you look at each bushing, check for deterioration or for the bolt to be way off from center. You can also have someone bounce and rock the car side-to-side a bit to watch for excessive play. Keep an eye out for loose, broken or bent components as well.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sounds like a loose panhard bar possibly.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Might not be a bad idea to put the car up on a 4-post lift so you can check things out with the suspension loaded. As you look at each bushing, check for deterioration or for the bolt to be way off from center. You can also have someone bounce and rock the car side-to-side a bit to watch for excessive play. Keep an eye out for loose, broken or bent components as well.
    Hopefully I can do that during my spring break. My neighbor has a lift in his garage so I'll do it then. Can't you just replace the bushing cause I know with some shocks you have to replace the whole thing.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Depends on what you find -- but yes, they should make replacement bushings if one is bad. PST has some nice polyurethane stuff. Your other option would be to simply upgrade to a a tubular piece from UMI, Spohn or BMR. Let us know what you find.

NBM
    2000 FRC Camaro SS

Depends on what you find -- but yes, they should make replacement bushings if one is bad. PST has some nice polyurethane stuff. Your other option would be to simply upgrade to a a tubular piece from UMI, Spohn or BMR. Let us know what you find.
    I have a PST kit in the front of my truck and highly recommend them... but on an F-Body, just go with UMI suspension parts, LCA's and PHB it's worth the extra cost.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by KC&97TA View Post
    I have a PST kit in the front of my truck and highly recommend them... but on an F-Body, just go with UMI suspension parts, LCA's and PHB it's worth the extra cost.
    Well right now I have to go with the cheapest option b/c of college= no money. But one thing I did notice it my shocks are fine but the car doesn't have as smooth of a ride anymore. We rocked the car back and forth and there wasn't any excess movement so idk what it is as of now.

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

+1

Might not sway when you push it, but it's what "centers" your car on the road. If the bushings are shot, then you'd move around on the road. Look at how a pan hard rod works (or connects to your car) and then watch a video of a guy doing donuts......then tell me if they don't look like one is related to the other.

Do you know where or what the panhard rod is? Not trying to talk down to you, just trying to inform you. It's the bar that goes from the drivers side axle (behind the rear wheel) to the top passenger side of the body.

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE View Post
    +1

Might not sway when you push it, but it's what "centers" your car on the road. If the bushings are shot, then you'd move around on the road. Look at how a pan hard rod works (or connects to your car) and then watch a video of a guy doing donuts......then tell me if they don't look like one is related to the other.

Do you know where or what the panhard rod is? Not trying to talk down to you, just trying to inform you. It's the bar that goes from the drivers side axle (behind the rear wheel) to the top passenger side of the body.
    Yes I'm VERY well aware of where the panhard rod is. I put the car on a lift and the bushings are fine but how exactly do you tell if the rod id bad/loose? Can you tighten it or do you have to buy a new one?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Try this...with the car on the ground, push against one rear quarter panel and watch if the body swings flat from side to side. If the rear of the car seems to "slide" when you push against a rear quarter panel, then the bushings are shot and you will have to purchase new bushings.

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Our 01' Maro is doing the same thing. We replaced the shocks this past weekend and while it helped some, it still didn't eliminate the strange feeling in the rear. The way this one feels when you go over a pothole or dip is strange, instead of the normal "up-down" feel you would expect, it's more of a side-side feel. Almost like if one shock was working and the other not, that's why we started with the shocks (plus at 123K it was past due anyway) next I will probably get an adjustable panhard bar and go from there. Good luck finding yours and please post anything that helps and I will do the same

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Try this...with the car on the ground, push against one rear quarter panel and watch if the body swings flat from side to side. If the rear of the car seems to "slide" when you push against a rear quarter panel, then the bushings are shot and you will have to purchase new bushings.
    I'll try that and let you know what happens. Cross your fingers!

White
    2001 RS Camaro

I just called my mechanic and asked him about it and he was like "whats a panhard bar?" LMAO!!!

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

I just called my mechanic and asked him about it and he was like "whats a panhard bar?" LMAO!!!
    That's what's scary, most of the time these blogs are way more informative than a general mechanic because most of their training is on the job and if they haven't had another f-body come in with this problem then they are

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

i just called my mechanic and asked him about it and he was like "whats a panhard bar?" lmao!!!
    get your car outta there now!!!

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Most of them call it a "Track bar"

Thread Information