Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Be Aware, thieves find new way to break into cars

This is something I found on the internet recently, perhaps this should have been posted in the off topic section but this section would have given this post more exposure and I think its important we inform as many members as we can to this.

How to lock your car safely:

While traveling a man stopped at a roadside park. He came out
    to his car less than 5 minutes later and found someone had gotten into his car, and stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigation unit,
    briefcase, everything. He called the police and they said there were no
    signs of his car being broken into. How did this happen?

There is a device out now that thieves are using that can clone the security code of your car's key-chain lock device. When you use the door lock on your key-chain it sends the code through the airwaves that can be read by another device (not just your car) and stolen. Thieves will sit a distance away from your car, watch for you to use your key-chain lock and steal your code. They know you are going inside of a store, restaurant, or bathroom and have a few minutes to steal and run.

How do you prevent this? Be sure to manually lock your car door by hitting the lock button inside the car, when you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting it does not send out the security code.

Be aware of this and please pass this information on to as many people as you can.

Keep safe everyone!

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

for real????

2000 Camaro B4C

how bout this for a break in.

my neighbor had her car broken into at a baseball game, they took her cell, GPS, and garage opener. because they had the GPS they looked up the "home" address saved in the favorites list. they used the garage door opener to get into the house stole almost everything. then they looked into her phone texted her husband who was in her contacts as "HUBBY" saying that she had forgotten the PIN number to their bank account, he thought nothing of it and texted her back with the PIN. Within an hour they had completely robbed their cars, home and completely drained their bank account.

we have some sick bastards out there

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Who leaves stuff like that in their car and visible anyway

Even my garage door opener is on my key chain.

And, I wouldn't be surprised if people could copy your code these days with a point and shoot device.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28boy2000 View Post
    how bout this for a break in.

my neighbor had her car broken into at a baseball game, they took her cell, GPS, and garage opener. because they had the GPS they looked up the "home" address saved in the favorites list. they used the garage door opener to get into the house stole almost everything. then they looked into her phone texted her husband who was in her contacts as "HUBBY" saying that she had forgotten the PIN number to their bank account, he thought nothing of it and texted her back with the PIN. Within an hour they had completely robbed their cars, home and completely drained their bank account.

we have some sick bastards out there
    Id be ready to smoke some mother fuckers

1998 Z-28 A4

People need to get a Life!!!!!!!!!!! and stop stealing from the hard working person.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

That's why my shit is boobie trapped! They come to my place...they ain't leavin in one piece. God help em' if she gets em'!

Here's a pic:

"I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

You guys havent apparently seen gone in 60 seconds yearrrrrsss ago. They did that with the hummer and the garage door. All that crap is real. Its only a matter of how easy the device is to get ahold of. I know most of you own a universal remote, the scanning feature is the same thing. Just a different way of delievering it

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    You guys havent apparently seen gone in 60 seconds yearrrrrsss ago. They did that with the hummer and the garage door. All that crap is real. Its only a matter of how easy the device is to get ahold of. I know most of you own a universal remote, the scanning feature is the same thing. Just a different way of delievering it
    Lol, one of my all time favorite movies.... it was the Escalade. Used the device to read the Garage door setting and the remote keyless.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Lol, one of my all time favorite movies.... it was the Escalade. Used the device to read the Garage door setting and the remote keyless.
    ahh my bad, a lot of the tools they used are real. My dad has a bunch from the STEALERSHIP.. hmm..

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

ahh my bad, a lot of the tools they used are real. My dad has a bunch from the STEALERSHIP.. hmm..
    We don't have anything like that at our dealership.... It would help out a lot though if we did!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    We don't have anything like that at our dealership.... It would help out a lot though if we did!
    not that device but others

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

not that device but others
    gotcha.... still, sounds intriguing...
    Last edited by konigandy6; 02-23-2009 at 06:45 AM.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

well i am officially changing the way i lock my car now. thank you

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I'm really not sure how this is possible. If they have an aftermarket alarm...possibly?

All i know is that I know how these work. I use to think it was possible but it shouldn't be anymore.

Basically your hand held device sends out (RF) or a frequency to your car to open the doors. The receiver knows what the next frequency will be. It's random everytime though. The transmitter and receiver use the same random code generator. Say you transmit out an 800.285 mhz frequency...the receiver accepts it and you go inside. The next time, the receiver will accept only 800.357mhz. Since they are in sync, only the transmitter of the keyless entry should know the code. So I really just don't see how this is possible.

If you push the button out of range. The transmitter and receiver are still sync. The receiver will accept up to 256 unique codes and only those codes.

Maybe the codes are very similar and the guys picking up the frequencies can guess these codes...that is the only way I see this being possible.

If this is confusing i can try to explain it again. Garage doors should be the same way.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I'm really not sure how this is possible. If they have an aftermarket alarm...possibly?

All i know is that I know how these work. I use to think it was possible but it shouldn't be anymore.

Basically your hand held device sends out (RF) or a frequency to your car to open the doors. The receiver knows what the next frequency will be. It's random everytime though. The transmitter and receiver use the same random code generator. Say you transmit out an 800.285 mhz frequency...the receiver accepts it and you go inside. The next time, the receiver will accept only 800.357mhz. Since they are in sync, only the transmitter of the keyless entry should know the code. So I really just don't see how this is possible.

If you push the button out of range. The transmitter and receiver are still sync. The receiver will accept up to 256 unique codes and only those codes.

Maybe the codes are very similar and the guys picking up the frequencies can guess these codes...that is the only way I see this being possible.

If this is confusing i can try to explain it again. Garage doors should be the same way.
    I never thought of that..... geeeeeeez radio tech!!!

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

I have been in Law Enforcement for almost 10 years now. I am in the Canine Unit which tracks suspects from vehicle buglaries. I also respond to all stolen vehicles where the suspect runs. With over 100 aprehensions myself and with over hundreds of my fellow Canine partners apprehensions, we have NEVER come across any devices that steal codes from garage doors or vehicle transmitters. I work in S. Florida where we get at least 2 -3 car burglaries a night, and at least one stolen vehicle in progress. 99% of the time, the car burglars do not have any tools with them, all they do is check unlocked vehicles! The guys that steal vehicles...they wait till the vehicle they want is brought to get a service, they pay a mechanic to get a key cut and the address of the vehicle, and the next day when you bring your car home, its stolen. Nobody breaks windows and hot wires cars anymore. This usually happens at a STEALERSHIP! Change your own oil and make sure your car is locked and you will be fine!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    I have been in Law Enforcement for almost 10 years now. I am in the Canine Unit which tracks suspects from vehicle buglaries. I also respond to all stolen vehicles where the suspect runs. With over 100 aprehensions myself and with over hundreds of my fellow Canine partners apprehensions, we have NEVER come across any devices that steal codes from garage doors or vehicle transmitters. I work in S. Florida where we get at least 2 -3 car burglaries a night, and at least one stolen vehicle in progress. 99% of the time, the car burglars do not have any tools with them, all they do is check unlocked vehicles! The guys that steal vehicles...they wait till the vehicle they want is brought to get a service, they pay a mechanic to get a key cut and the address of the vehicle, and the next day when you bring your car home, its stolen. Nobody breaks windows and hot wires cars anymore. This usually happens at a STEALERSHIP! Change your own oil and make sure your car is locked and you will be fine!
    Cmon Lt. badass.... not all dealerships are that bad! I know mine isn't!!

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

+1 Agreed

It still feels good to take the fuckers down hard though! LOL

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

I find it kinda funny you're in law enforcement and you're running no cats.

Thread Information