Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

ASR how does it work?

Hey all,

Couldn't find this on search, so here goes:

How (technically) does ASR traction control work? Does it cut spark, cut fuel, ride the brakes...?

I know it works pretty well, but want to understand HOW.

Thanks for your insight

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS1 View Post
    Hey all,

Couldn't find this on search, so here goes:

How (technically) does ASR traction control work? Does it cut spark, cut fuel, ride the brakes...?

I know it works pretty well, but want to understand HOW.

Thanks for your insight
    It rides your rear brakes, it tells you in the owners manual. It pissed me off on sunday night, tried to rip a burnout and forgot to switch it off, so bad for the car. And it looked like i didn't know how to drive to, bastard ASR.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

I feel the pedal snap back up too when you break em loose with it on. I kind of like having it on just for cruising around. It seems like with it off the tires break loose very easily...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Don't have it, don't want it, I would permanently disable it if I ever have a car with it. My right foot is my TC!
    Anyway, I thought the pedal snap back was the first indication it was working, as I think there is a module between the gas pedal cable and the throttle body, to pull back the throttle when the PC thinks you are having too much fun.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Yeah that is the first indication that it is working, the snapping of the gas pedal up, almost like reverse cruise control. I just got my car and its nice to have to get used to the LS1. I'm coming from a Jeep Wrangler so a little help is nice at first, I'm sure it will be off more often down the road.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

I turn my shit off everytime I get in. ASR is for noobs!
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

haha thanks.....

i was messing around today with it off, its crazy how easy you can get these things to spin the tires.

black
    2000 camaro ss

You Will Break

If Your On The Car Spinning It Out With The Traction On It Will Break And Cause Alot Of Damage.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Yeah I figured that, thats why I turned it off. Tires are too expensive though to be doing that kind of stuff too often. Neat button though if you ask me, does quite a bit.

Black
    1997 Chevy Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    "I need ASR" = Fail at life.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

I can't stand ASR, I wish it was off when you start your car and then if you want it on you can turn it on.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by 02ultraZ View Post
    It rides your rear brakes, it tells you in the owners manual. It pissed me off on sunday night, tried to rip a burnout and forgot to switch it off, so bad for the car. And it looked like i didn't know how to drive to, bastard ASR.
    your comment holds true and i agree with your statement. apparently you dont know how to drive if you cant remember to turn it off. dont take it out on the car, it did what its designed to do. take it out on the driver since they dont...

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

all you owners w/ASR, bitch about ASR, "blah this, blah that, my pussy hurts cause i got by a little button"...

obviously if you cant drive the car with it on, i dont care to be around when you turn it off. i have ASR and keep it on until im ready to play. then, i simply REMEMBER to turn it off. it's not hard, just common sense...

ASR is not for n00bs or 'failures at life'. it's for the people who want to keep their car from wrapping around a pole or guardrail, as opposed to the ones who turn off the ASR and decide to show off and let the ass of their car get away from 'em. its for people who can go from point 'A' to point 'B' without feeling they need to do something stupid for attention, as a result of being immature...
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 07-12-2007 at 06:52 AM.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

I would only really use it in the rain, if your worried about wrapping your car around a pole then you can't drive...I don't need a traction control, just like too fast said earlier, my right foot is my traction control, get your head out of your ass sswt00ss.

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

Ya, I was showing a buddy whats up and did a holeshot from a 5mph roll,
    the ASR was on and it did REALLY good until it was about to shift into 3rd. (crazy, revving, missed 3rd gear kinda shift.)

I thought it had a bad trans / torque converter, but I turned off ASR, did 3 more, and no more shady messed up 3rd gear shifts.

Sorta scared me at first. lol!

I'm an ASR NEWB, my last 98 Camaro didn't have ASR at all. (<--auto ls1 also)
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

I would only really use it in the rain, if your worried about wrapping your car around a pole then you can't drive...I don't need a traction control, just like too fast said earlier, my right foot is my traction control, get your head out of your ass sswt00ss.
    im not worried about wrapping my car around anything. what pisses me off are show boatin SOB's that act all badass, and then you see a thread on here how their car ended up in some ditch looking for more attention and then people saying, "oh, tough break man". there's a time and a place for everything, yet some drivers cannot comprehend that...

as for my head being in my ass, it's not. i applaud your effort in trying to flame me and get a laugh in but id give you a 2 outta 10 at best. if you could read what it says right above my avatar, then you might start to understand where it is i am coming from...

quite frankly, it's diappointing that you take my opinoin so personally to heart, that i must have struck a nerve, and there's some truth behind my comment...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Well the whole reason i said get your head out of your ass is because of your avatar. I was bitching about me forgetting to turn it off and how bad it was for my car. I went from an '88 IROC to this Camaro and I'm not used to switching a switch off before I do a burnout. Just don't tell me i can't drive if you don't know me. Your opinion is yours, you flamed against my opinion first so don't be a hypocrite. All in all i don't know you either and don't care too because your 1000 miles away. IMO it should be off when the car is started, then if your afraid of the tires spinning in the rain or snow, you can turn it on.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Well the whole reason i said get your head out of your ass is because of your avatar. I was bitching about me forgetting to turn it off and how bad it was for my car. I went from an '88 IROC to this Camaro and I'm not used to switching a switch off before I do a burnout. Just don't tell me i can't drive if you don't know me. Your opinion is yours, you flamed against my opinion first so don't be a hypocrite. All in all i don't know you either and don't care too because your 1000 miles away. IMO it should be off when the car is started, then if your afraid of the tires spinning in the rain or snow, you can turn it on.

ah, i never said you couldnt drive, i said i agreed with your comment and then reiterated your own words that you couldnt drive since you had not disabled your ASR (which you chose to take out on the "Bastard ASR" not yourself). no hypocrite here. feel free to break down all i wrote to twist around to make it fit whatever motive you 'say' of me 'attacking' you 1st, when again, all i did was agree with your comment. it's all right there in post #12, unedited, my opinion in agreement with your words...

i give you props for moving up from a 3gen to a 4th gen, but im done wasting anymore time on you and your tramatic ASR experience. live and learn. good day my friend...

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Notice i said i forgot tho, didn't take it out on just my car, I can admit my mistakes, but it never would have happened without ASR.

I like the upgrade from 3rd to 4th gens too, but the IROC was faster. I haven't really started any mods on my current car tho so it's only a matter of time.

Thread Information