Thread: ABS issue

Jet Stream Blue
    98 Camaro SS

ABS issue

Hey,

I got a 98 camaro SS with a really wierd issue. In dry conditions i get my BRAKE, ABS INOP, and Traction warning lights on my cluster. Although whenever lets say i wash my car or it rains like today. The lights come off and my Traction control works. Anyway, i was hoping that someone has had the same situation, and possibly you could shed some light on me. BTW i have upgraded suspension; Eibach Springs, KYB shocks all around, Rear LCA's with panhard, also Drilled and slotted rotors. Ive had the Drilled rotors for a while now so im not sure if that has anything to do with it. All connections look good also. Thanks in advance for your help.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

What size tires are you running?
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Hmm. Preston may be on to something, but this is a weird situation....

If any of your ABS sensors are faulty, that will also trigger your TCS to not work. TCS works with ABS, so if ABS is not functional, neither will be TCS.

First thing, I would check to make sure all your sensors are free of debris and securely connected. Secondly, it could be your tire size. If your back wheel are different size than the fronts for example, the wheels could be turning at a different speed, which would fool the ABS into thinking that the tire is actually losing traction and causing ABS to enable.

You could also have a loose or pinched wire going to one of your ABS sensors.

Brake light I thought was totally different than ABS. Have you checked your fluid level?

Jet Stream Blue
    98 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    What size tires are you running?
    I'm running a set of c6 oem wheels so 18/19 combo with 245/35/r18 and 275/30/r19.
    I've been running this set up for a while now though and I never had this issue.
    I have completely disassembled my front and rear brakes and thoroughly cleaned them.
    It just strikes me as odd that it only functions when I get my brakes wet. I've read tons of
    Topics on it and I understand entirely how the abs and tcs systems work. Only thing left to
    Do is take it in to the dealer. I'd rather have the satisfaction of resolving it myself though.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet98 View Post
    I'm running a set of c6 oem wheels so 18/19 combo with 245/35/r18 and 275/30/r19.
    I've been running this set up for a while now though and I never had this issue.
    I have completely disassembled my front and rear brakes and thoroughly cleaned them.
    It just strikes me as odd that it only functions when I get my brakes wet. I've read tons of
    Topics on it and I understand entirely how the abs and tcs systems work. Only thing left to
    Do is take it in to the dealer. I'd rather have the satisfaction of resolving it myself though.
    Your front tires have a diameter of 24.8" and the rears 25.6" from what I researched then. Thats almost a inch difference in diameter, which very well could be throwing off the ABS.

Jet Stream Blue
    98 Camaro SS

Your front tires have a diameter of 24.8" and the rears 25.6" from what I researched then. Thats almost a inch difference in diameter, which very well could be throwing off the ABS.
    That makes sense in a way I'm also running 1.75" spacers on the rear. But, that still doesn't explain why h2o corrects this change in wheel sizes. Also like I stated earlier I've been running this wheel combo for about a year with no issues.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That makes sense in a way I'm also running 1.75" spacers on the rear. But, that still doesn't explain why h2o corrects this change in wheel sizes. Also like I stated earlier I've been running this wheel combo for about a year with no issues.
    If you know a mechanic with a premium scanner you can have the ABS code read and that might help you track the problem down...

Jet Stream Blue
    98 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    If you know a mechanic with a premium scanner you can have the ABS code read and that might help you track the problem down...
    I was actually going to purchase an ABS scanner but it wasn't compatible with my 98 (nothing is!) Anyway that's why I wanted to take it to the dealer. I'm pretty sure they can pull up my trouble codes.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I was actually going to purchase an ABS scanner but it wasn't compatible with my 98 (nothing is!) Anyway that's why I wanted to take it to the dealer. I'm pretty sure they can pull up my trouble codes.
    Ahh well that sucks!

Yes they can, but it is going to cost you probably in the ballpark of $80-100 just for them to tell you the code. Yes, dealerships will rape you...unless you know someone who works at the dealership.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Ya, screw the dealership. Go to Autozone and ask them if they can scan it for you. I would use the dealership as plan Z, meaning attempt any other resource you can think of first.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Ya, screw the dealership. Go to Autozone and ask them if they can scan it for you. I would use the dealership as plan Z, meaning attempt any other resource you can think of first.
    Scanners at AutoZone and Pepboys will not scan the ABS codes. Dealer or mechanic scanner only.

Been there done that.

Jet Stream Blue
    98 Camaro SS

Scanners at AutoZone and Pepboys will not scan the ABS codes. Dealer or mechanic scanner only.

Been there done that.
    Actually autozone does have a scanner its only for some vehicles though like 99 & up camaros. Its actually available on ebay also it runs about $175.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Actually autozone does have a scanner its only for some vehicles though like 99 & up camaros. Its actually available on ebay also it runs about $175.
    Autozone may have a ABS scanner you can BUY that will read ABS codes.

If you are looking to get your ABS scanned for free from Autozone, their OBDII scanners DO NOT scan the ABS system. That is what I was getting at.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Autozone may have a ABS scanner you can BUY that will read ABS codes.

If you are looking to get your ABS scanned for free from Autozone, their OBDII scanners DO NOT scan the ABS system. That is what I was getting at.
    exactly.

there is an ABS code reader for sale but not one that is used by the employees for the courtesy service of checking codes on vehicles in the parking lot.

also the one that you can rent on the loan-a-tool program does not read ABS codes either...strictly OBDII code reader.

Jet Stream Blue
    98 Camaro SS

Yeah I know that, tried that already. That's why I was going buy my own shortly after the rain all my brake lights came back on yesterday. I think I'm going to replace my rotors with a better set of d/s anyone know where I can get a good set at a good price.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I concur with that and I doubt a stealership would let you do it yourself.

Thread Information