Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A4 launch Help

A4 launch Help

Hey guys so i had a pretty shitty nite... i got tooled by a pre 05 Jag either an XKR or an XK8 i couldnt really tell which one it was. the reason why he tooled me? i was still sittin at the light roastin my tires... i was so pissed that i actually went off to the boonies to practice launching but so far no good... i cant seem to hook up for the life of me at the beginning but when i do its gameover... i had to let off to not hit the jag once i hooked. My rear tires have a very fair amount of tread on them..(i would say with certainty over 80% tread left.) and theyre Goodyear Eagle F1s (275s).. i tried breakstands revvin it up to about 1000 then letting off the break and punching it once i know its good but i cant figure it out yet.. keep in mind ive been driving this car now for 4 days... (weather finally started to get nice in canada) so what do u guys think? nebody have any tips for a noob?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

simply put you need bfg g force dr tires
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    simply put you need bfg g force dr tires
    x2 Good advice
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

well i know i shouldnt base things off what i read on streetfire comments but i read that putting on DR's can snap ur rear end on these cars... also.. arent DR's more for the track than on the street?

and besides DRs are there any other good recommendations?

black

Quote Originally Posted by iggz View Post
    well i know i shouldnt base things off what i read on streetfire comments but i read that putting on DR's can snap ur rear end on these cars... also.. arent DR's more for the track than on the street?

and besides DRs are there any other good recommendations?

i have been running DRs for 3 years now. DRs do allow slip also, its not like you are running a slick. DRs like nitto, bfg and mickey thomson are street legal
    auto transmissions are not as hard on rear as manuals.
    there are no good street tires truthfully.

BLACK
    00 SS

drag radials will only make ur car slower off the line with a stock stall converter.. get a good sized stall converter along with some BFG DRs, and ull be hookin, and bookin!

also street tires dont need to be heated up so much! just alil bit to get the rocks off.. thats it. traction will get worse if u try heating them up to much..plus in our cars.. a 275 in the rear is considered a donut

in doubt tach it out!!

BADASSZ28
    juat dont floor off the line, when they say go give it half then roll on the throttle after you have some momentum that is all you can do with street tires.

black

Quote Originally Posted by stangkiller2005 View Post
    drag radials will only make ur car slower off the line with a stock stall converter.. get a good sized stall converter along with some BFG DRs, and ull be hookin, and bookin!

slower how??
    if hes buring the tires off the line now with stockers, DRS will put an end to that and he will take off instead of spinning.
    how is that going to slow a car down?

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

I agree... DRs.. and lots of proactice... every car is different.. just have to talk to it to find out what it likes to do.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

well okay how long do DR's last?

also i rite now i have 275/40/18 ZO6 rims on the back.. would it be possible to go with a wider tire on these rims or would i have to get new rims as well?

anybody know of a good source for DR's?

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

without getting wider rims, I wouldn't bother with wider tires. It would not make much of a difference.

Also, if you go wider like 315s, you will have to massage the inner fenders.

alrite fair enough, quick question tho i cant seem to find any DRs for 18' rims is this not a common size for DR's?

black

BLACK
    00 SS

its slower because in an stock a4 u can only stall it so much before the tires start to spin...so you basically launching off of idle! ive seen multiple people including myself get slower 60ft times with launching with a drag radial and a stock stall... think of it as having to much traction..the car cannot launch hard enough to take advantage of the traction. it will kinda be like bogging the car.. now with a stall converter.. u can rev higher, and launch harder, and faster because of the drag radials.. and the ability to get alil more into your powerband.. ask around for people that have drag radials and a stock converter. i bet you they will say they got a slower time. up until they through a stall in there... now for an m6 they dont have this problem..obviously they can launch at any rpm they want.

Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD's...You know you want to hit it...but are afraid of the consequences!!!

black

its slower because in an stock a4 u can only stall it so much before the tires start to spin...so you basically launching off of idle! ive seen multiple people including myself get slower 60ft times with launching with a drag radial and a stock stall... think of it as having to much traction..the car cannot launch hard enough to take advantage of the traction. it will kinda be like bogging the car.. now with a stall converter.. u can rev higher, and launch harder, and faster because of the drag radials.. and the ability to get alil more into your powerband.. ask around for people that have drag radials and a stock converter. i bet you they will say they got a slower time. up until they through a stall in there... now for an m6 they dont have this problem..obviously they can launch at any rpm they want.

DRs were my second mod, lid was first.
    my times improved

BLACK
    00 SS

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    DRs were my second mod, lid was first.
    my times improved
    thats the first time ive seen an A4 improve with DRs and no stall.

Black
    99 SS

also street tires dont need to be heated up so much! just alil bit to get the rocks off.. thats it. traction will get worse if u try heating them up to much..plus in our cars.. a 275 in the rear is considered a donut

what?? were did you get that info from??? he wont be spinning at all, he will hook and get a lower 60' time.

also burn those street tires up when you do your burnout, the sticker they are the more they will hook.

Black
    99 SS

this way he can mash the gas off the go and have no spin, and just hook and not have to peddle it out.

BLACK
    00 SS

Black
    98 Camaro

i had a 95 trans am with exhaust and cai.. that was it.. i put mickey thompson et streets and it slowed me down.. the car felt like it wanted to bog from the line.. i put them on my 98 with just a cam, converter and stock rearend with 4.10 and im pullin 1.67 60 fts

Thread Information