Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

98 Z28 Exhaust ????

Hi,
    I have a 98z28 and I want to get a better flowing muffler for now mainly for a nice sound untill I can get headers/cat back later. My question is for the new muffler what size inlet/outlets do I need (is it 3 inch in and 2.5 inch outlets?)and what size muffler would be needed to make my pipes come out where they are now. I would crawl under my car to find out but my back is totally screwed. Would just replacing the muffler make my car sound better? Please dont abuse me too badly for asking this.LOLThanks for any help on this guys.

White
    1996 Z28 Camaro

A cutout is a good way to go. I just got one for my car, only cost about $200, I went with the 3" QTP Electric Cutout.
    1996 Z28 A4 3.23s White with T-tops / Shorty Headers / 3" QTP Electric Cutout / SLP 2OTL Exhaust / Jet PCM Stage 2 / White Faced Gauges / 160 Tstat / Hurst Shifter / SLP Cold Air Intake / '96 Vette Wheels

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Just get the Flowmaster American thunder cat back kit. It is easy to install and you get a good amount of pieces for not a whole lot more.

White
    1996 Z28 Camaro

Hah ya right, trust me get a cutout. Plenty loud, nice sound, and great power. Flowmaster sucks, it doesn't give you any more power and it is very very quiet.

Well not everyone can run around with cutouts open, that attracts more attention than I need anyway.

Nothing wrong with flowmaster though, everyone says it kills power but I think that is heresay and word of mouth passed down from one person to the next.
    I have actually tested several muffler and pipe designs on my chevelle over the years and spent close to $2,000 on them total and never found the car vary more than a tenth or less at the strip between them all, which was more due to weather conditions.
    My car has always run 11.40's at 118 mph through the tailpipes whether it has flowmaster, edelbrock, magnflows, dynomax, etc.....you name it I have had it on the car.
    What it really came down to for me was sound, and the flowmaster super 40's give me what I want to hear. Still runs 11.40's with them,,,so in my experiences they don't kill anything,,,,except maybe a few ear drums my flowmasters are very loud when I am on the go pedal, people hear me coming 3 blocks away. Go with what you like as far as sound and don't worry so much about HP numbers and such,,,it's way over inflated.

The only big difference that is really made on the 4th gens is going from the single pipe to a real dual system, the mufflers don't make a damn bit of difference,,,but going to a real dual setup like Bissani can help tremendously,,,simply because you are not craming everything down a single pipe. Larry.

White
    1996 Z28 Camaro

Ok well the cutout enables you to switch from open to regular exhaust especially the electric cutout which I went with. Well I am pretty sure that Flowmaster doesn't help performance. I have SLP 2OTL exhaust and even that with the cutout open I can tell the performance is better. I'm tellin you with the cutout open I'm sure my car would be louder then your flowmasters and sound better as well, not even going very fast either.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Well I was thinking about getting a Borla Muffler for now. Cutsouts are out of the question for me.

White
    1996 Z28 Camaro

Ok well since you all know more about having a cutout then me yet i'm the only one here that supposedly has one, your all right , I'm wrong even know I have an electric cutout on my car. Go waste your money on a wanna be cutout which is the Borla. First, the Borla costs way too much, also its NOT a true cutout with a muffler, its still gonna muffle about half your sound, and last the wanna be cutout is not even controllable from inside the car. I think Borla sounds like crap, especially considering it costs so much. I would take a GMMG exhaust over it anyday and it costs less too. If you want a TRUE cutout get the cutout, you can always switch from open to closed too, and the electric cutout i got only cost $200 where as the Borla costs $900+ and the GMMG costs $700. The cutout is not bad for a killer sound and the ability to go to my SLP 2OTL exhaust.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by White96Z28 View Post
    Ok well since you all know more about having a cutout then me yet i'm the only one here that supposedly has one, your all right , I'm wrong even know I have an electric cutout on my car. Go waste your money on a wanna be cutout which is the Borla. First, the Borla costs way too much, also its NOT a true cutout with a muffler, its still gonna muffle about half your sound, and last the wanna be cutout is not even controllable from inside the car. I think Borla sounds like crap, especially considering it costs so much. I would take a GMMG exhaust over it anyday and it costs less too. If you want a TRUE cutout get the cutout, you can always switch from open to closed too, and the electric cutout i got only cost $200 where as the Borla costs $900+ and the GMMG costs $700. The cutout is not bad for a killer sound and the ability to go to my SLP 2OTL exhaust.
    Dude relax- I am talking about buying a muffler not a cat-back exhaust. A cut-out is for fkin dragstrips not the road. I dont want my shit to sound like billy bobs monster truck. I just want it to sound better than the stock set up.I didnt ask what to buy either. I asked the sizes of the inlet/outlets.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

This is my thread. Thanks for destroying it with information I could really care less about. Dont go away mad ----just go away!!! You are BY FAR the most annoying person I have encountered here.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Yea this guy is like duhhhhhhhhhhh CUTOUTs duhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Black
    2001 camaro SS

I personally think the cutouts are to loud. I heard them once and they made my ears ring and pop.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

If you aren't answering the thread starters original question or helping him in a positive manner, please refrain from posting in this thread.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Ok well the cutout enables you to switch from open to regular exhaust especially the electric cutout which I went with. Well I am pretty sure that Flowmaster doesn't help performance. I have SLP 2OTL exhaust and even that with the cutout open I can tell the performance is better. I'm tellin you with the cutout open I'm sure my car would be louder then your flowmasters and sound better as well, not even going very fast either.
    LOL,,,are you sure about that? I can pop my headers open too, but with a 468 ci and a .640 roller it's a little obnoxious, can't run around like that, it's much louder than a typical 4th gen cutout on one pipe only. Besides, a better flowing complete exhaust system is what you really want,,,anyone can open their headers up,,,but it's more impressive to see a fast car running through the tailpipes.

I'm not saying flowmaster is better, I am saying other mufflers won't necessarily give you better performance, I have been through that with this car, it's more the design of the pipes and the overall system, pipe size, etc...than it is the muffler you choose.
    If you would like to compare you're car with open headers to mine, I would be more than willing if you dare

I have 3 cars with cutouts, it's not like I don't like them but it's not something you want to run around with on the street all the time.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

here' let me throw some enlightenment your way, seeing as i've had the QTP 3" electric cutout and the borla 3" adjustable cutout. the cutout gave me about .02 in the 1/4 mile. the borla gave me almost .4 in the 1/4 mile. also, the borla has a 'cutout' built into it. you adjust the amount of bypass that you want to. the right side tips connects directly to the i-pipe that goes over the axle. you choose to leave the restrictor plates out, the exhaust will completely bypass the muffler. the smaller the restrictor plate, the more exhaust gets turned to go through the muffler. this cuts back on the sound and a little on the power output.

the electric cutout gives you the ability to open/close it without getting under the car. yep, you can't beat a cutout for price, if all you are wanting is sound. QTP makes an electric cutout to go on the borla.

so, if you want all sound and virtually no power, then by all means get an electric cutout. if you want power and sound, then get a nice catback. sound is subjective. you may not like a borla, but someone else might. i liked the borla until i put headers and removed the cats. then, it became unbearable inside the car. so, i switched to the bassani tru-duals. i picked up 15 rwhp and reduced the interior noise substantially.

so, you might want to offer advice without the atititude, when someone doesn't have your same opinion.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

If you dont mind me asking how much was the bassani tru duals??? did you buy it online?? thanks

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    Hi,
    I have a 98z28 and I want to get a better flowing muffler for now mainly for a nice sound untill I can get headers/cat back later. My question is for the new muffler what size inlet/outlets do I need (is it 3 inch in and 2.5 inch outlets?)and what size muffler would be needed to make my pipes come out where they are now. I would crawl under my car to find out but my back is totally screwed. Would just replacing the muffler make my car sound better? Please dont abuse me too badly for asking this.LOLThanks for any help on this guys.
    yes, it is 3" in dual 2.5" out. sound is subjective. one muffler might sound better than another, to you. which it will be different to another person.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    If you dont mind me asking how much was the bassani tru duals??? did you buy it online?? thanks
    i have the stainless steel which costs $949.00. they make it in aluminized for 779.00.

http://vincihighperformance.com/fbod...t.html#EXHAUST

if you ever want to hear it, let me know. tampa isn't too far.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    i have the stainless steel which costs $949.00. they make it in aluminized for 779.00.

http://vincihighperformance.com/fbod...t.html#EXHAUST

if you ever want to hear it, let me know. tampa isn't too far.
    Thanks I appreciate that

Thread Information