Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

98 SS Indy Pace car???

Does anyone know if there was a factory 1998 Camaro SS Indy Pace car? I can't find any info on the net about one. There's one for sale near me for cheap, but I want to know if they really made any. They say it's factory, but it is black with T-tops which doesn't sound right to me.

red
    2000 ss

i dont think they did...?

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

I'm pretty sure there was an LS1 special car but I think it was for the Brickyard 400 and it was a convertible and it was definatlely not black, it was white.
    They do use other cars for the 500 that are not the pace car but they are usually verts.

white
    2001 camaross

2002 brickyard 400 silver ss convertible

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Hmmmm... now I'm really starting to wonder. I'll have to get the vin and check to see if it's even a real SS. I have a feeling it's a total poser car. If that's the case I'll really low ball them, give them some info and see what they have to say.

Black
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jimmi7769 View Post
    I'm pretty sure there was an LS1 special car but I think it was for the Brickyard 400 and it was a convertible and it was definatlely not black, it was white.
    They do use other cars for the 500 that are not the pace car but they are usually verts.
    This is exactly right...It was a Brickyard car and white, and convertible. A guy down the street from me has one that's mint.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I live in Indy and I remember those cars being white, with orange stripes and convertibles. It seems like they were all AT also.

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

Triple White
    1998 Camaro SS convert

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Does anyone know if there was a factory 1998 Camaro SS Indy Pace car? I can't find any info on the net about one.
    I found this post while doing a search on google. Because I own one of the cars I think your referring to, maybe I can give help answer the question.

To be correct, the 1998 Brickyard 400 Pace Car was actually a Monte Carlo. The triple white Camaro SS convertibles were Festival Cars used during the driver introductions on raceday, however, most people call these Camaros pace cars.

There were 50 Camaro SS converts used in 1998 and they were all identically equipped (the first year Camaros used the LS1). In addition to the SS's, 9 triple white Z28 convertibles were also decaled and used by track officials and others. Sadly, most of theses cars have their graphics removed after by dealers or owners.

Sorry I didn't find this thread sooner when you looking at the car.

Triple White
    1998 Camaro SS convert

Quote Originally Posted by rebelphotog96 View Post
    This is exactly right...It was a Brickyard car and white, and convertible. A guy down the street from me has one that's mint.
    rebelphotog96, I've been trying to keep track of any 98 Brickyards that may be still left. If your neighbors car is like the photo shown above, I would love to know more about the car. You can have him email me if you rather not be involved.

Thanks for your help

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPar View Post
    I found this post while doing a search on google. Because I own one of the cars I think your referring to, maybe I can give help answer the question.

To be correct, the 1998 Brickyard 400 Pace Car was actually a Monte Carlo. The triple white Camaro SS convertibles were Festival Cars used during the driver introductions on raceday, however, most people call these Camaros pace cars.

Click for full size

There were 50 Camaro SS converts used in 1998 and they were all identically equipped (the first year Camaros used the LS1). In addition to the SS's, 9 triple white Z28 convertibles were also decaled and used by track officials and others. Sadly, most of theses cars have their graphics removed after by dealers or owners.

WOW! Thats a sweet car! Did you post that in the Sticky section?

hugger orange
    1999 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPar View Post

Click for full size

where is the other tailpipe?

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

there was a indy 500 pace car ss at a local car show.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by huggerls1 View Post
    where is the other tailpipe?
    1998 only had SS and WS6 with a single tailpipe. From what I've heard it was a real good flowing cat-back.

2000 Camaro SS
    1969 Z28 JL8 crossram, #'

The 93 Camaro was the Indy 500 Pace Car and was black/white with multi color stripes. I would definitely take your time checking that car out. I don't think any 94 on up Camaro was an Indy 500 Pace Car. There were the Brickyard cars but that's a different car as pictured above.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

As an update I went back to look at the car and it was gone. I did see a younger guy driving it a couple of times. If I see it parked I'll grab the vin and see what it comes up with. I can't buy it seeing someone else did, but now I'm just curious about it. Thanks for all the input!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Here's the 93 Pace Car - it was (& still is) my dream car. If the one your looking at is the 93, I have a book that , by vin #, will tell you which number the Pace car is.

The pace car for 98 was a Corvette.

Attachment 13404
    Last edited by lvgoldie; 05-06-2009 at 04:58 PM.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    1998 only had SS and WS6 with a single tailpipe. From what I've heard it was a real good flowing cat-back.
    Yeah my 98 only has one pipe out the back. I have heard that it is good flowing too, but really am not sure. I am surprised how it sounds, it is very throaty for a factory exhaust. When I test drove many of the ss's, none of them sounded this good in my opinion. I really want to put a corsa on, but this one sounds so cool!

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Just clear a spot in the corner of the garage for the factory exhaust if you can't stand the itch to replace it with the Corsa, or you'll kick yourself in the ass for the rest of your life when you watch Barrett-Jackson parade cars like yours up there, and they're talking about that rare 'single side" exhaust in 20years!

Thread Information