Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

6-speed or A4? is the 6spd really worth it?

I am still looking at newer f-bodies and i am trying to decide if it would make a big difference between the 6speeds and the autos.

the thing is that i am a lazy driver and i drive a lot and sometimes in traffic.

i do know how to drive a stick, but im not that good at it. i know that i would get better as time goes on, but then again i am lazy.

my overall question is...... Is it worth looking for a 6 speed or is ok to get an auto.

i would prefer an automatic.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

I have a 5speed in my v6 and I sit in traffic every day. It gets a little annoying when it is stop and go traffic up a hill. But overall it is soooo worth it. I am looking for a newer ss and I won't even consider it if it is an auto. But that is just me.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I like my A4 just fine. It's all based on personal choice. Just remember: M6's will impress high school kids while A4's win races.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

HEY NOW!

I have heard the m6's are faster in the 1/4mile. Unless your running like 10's.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

yea there were a bunch of guys in high school that thought all autos sucked. i got my GTP tuned. raised the shift points, firmed it up and they were like wow that shifts hard and fast.

i also learned where the shift points were and timed it, so i would floor it before i was out of a turn and it would shift right when i wanted it to.

black
    2002 WS6

Umm, personal preferance. I have an M6 WS6 2002. For me I like it till I hit Rush hour traffic. Left leg gets sore and water temp goes up, but thats the price for a performance car. If it was an A4 I still would have got it (need V8 power) the M6 was a bonus. With proper prep an A4 IMO can be just as good as an M6. I hardly ever use gear 6 any ways unless I am 20 over posted on the highway. Now if you are really serious about drag racing nothing beats a drag preped Powerglide where you have two choices fast and faster.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

I love the Power and Control of a Manual.

drive both and decide which one you like best!

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

People that say autos are crappy, but I never miss a gear while they are trying to get me to race again cause they screwed up on the launch or a shift and I pulled them. . .

It depends on what you want and also on what ou plan on doing with the car. I have a 6-speed for 5 years and now I have an auto. I miss the 6-speed sometimes but I wouldn't give the stalled auto up for the world either.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

i have driven a bunch of vettes at the dealership i work at. (including a C6 Z06 which i was too scared to let loose)
    i like driving the M6's, but i think it would just be too much work for me as a daily driver. but i was just wondering how big of a performance difference it is. i guess i got my answer
    Can u use a Powertuner to tune f-bodies? i got a buddy that has one. he used it for my GTP and he did it for free.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by z28punk View Post
    i have driven a bunch of vettes at the dealership i work at. (including a C6 Z06 which i was too scared to let loose)
    i like driving the M6's, but i think it would just be too much work for me as a daily driver. but i was just wondering how big of a performance difference it is. i guess i got my answer
    Can u use a Powertuner to tune f-bodies? i got a buddy that has one. he used it for my GTP and he did it for free.
    Its not bad at all for a daily driver. I had a 45 minute commute to school every morning in very very heavy chicago traffic with a 6spd and it didn't bug me.

As far as a powertuner i wouldn't get one. They are pretty limited on what they can do. Almost nothing for M6 - and for autos the only real good thing is the shift firmness. You can get your car dyno tuned and get a lot more out of it than a powertuner.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I bought my car for 12,000 bucks because it has an auto. it was listed as 15,000 before, but everyone who looked at it passed on it because they wanted the 6 speed. I like auto myself because I'm also lazy, so I had no problem with it. They liked me and lowered the price for me, so I got a SS with 46k miles for 12,000.

Black
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I like my A4 just fine. It's all based on personal choice. Just remember: M6's will impress high school kids while A4's win races.
    personally, i didnt get a M6 to impress anyone, i got it bc I like it. I like the fact that i am in control of the gears at all times.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

M6 vs A4

keep in mind a stalled A4 vs stock will obviously have MAJOR differences...
    but going from stock...

m6
    better gas mileage
    "more control" through the gears
    better launch
    much stronger then 4l60e
    better burnouts & donuts

however if you plan on going fast & racing often
    Auto's are more conistant
    Auto's stalled with gears

if you go auto... which from what you've said YOU DEF SHOULD - you need to get what suits your needs... Period
    you will want to add a tranny cooler reguardless to save your tranny (extend its life big time)

i have an Auto & shes going to be awesome once im all done with it - but for now i hate it

got a GREAT deal on mine (5,000 less then book value )

m6's are alot of fun... but being lazy wont keep it fun long

I have both an auto and a 6 speed 4th gen. I like them both. I am more of a stick person,,,member of UMTR (United Manual Transmission Racers) and we all love racing the stick cars,,,but I also like the autos just as much,,,for racing and driving, or whatever your preference is.
    From your description, you sound like you may be more of an automatic kind of guy. I wouldn't let the transmission dictate what you buy so much. Especially if it's a more rare model that you may be looking for.
    Both have their pros and cons,,,the 6 speeds have proven themselves as being very strong right out of the box, and the .50 overdrive in 6th does wonders for gas mileage if you care about that sort of thing,,,I don't care so much. I find that I can use 6th gear quite a bit even around town from 45 mph on up with 3.42 gears. It lopes around fine. With the 6 speed also comes clutch changes at some point. And most of the 6speed F-bodies have seen a hard life,,,,I looked at them for quite a while,,,and as you can see why most people prefer the 6speed on here,,,,their answer is,,,it's faster,,,better for racing autocross etc...etc...so you can see what I mean about the type of abuse these 6speed cars take,,,,so keep that in mind when looking,,,,your best bet would be a very low mileage unmolested 6speed that was adult owned. Of course those will cost a little more as well.
    I also like the auto,,,once shift firmness and shift points are dialed in,,,they can be just as fun, and give some of the 6 speed guys fits from a roll that cannot find a lower gear fast enough, or choose the wrong one by mistake. I admit I have done that before. But the auto also has it's drawbacks,,,the 4l60e is somewhat weak,,,as years went on GM made improvements, which helped. But they are still HP limited. Regular fluid changes and a cooler go a long way. The auto cars tend to lead an easier life, and it's much easier to find an unmolested automatic.
    Go with what you feel,,,don't worry too much about peer pressure, Just drive and enjoy the heck out of it. Larry.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

sounds like you already made up your mind by saying you prefer an auto at the end of your post...

its personal preferance really. i like my M6 because i like having more control when i drive, and i will never be/get to lazy to ever drive a stick. all the cars i have owned have been manuals (4, 5, 6 speeds). only auto i have is my explorer...

regardless of which you choose, IMO, you won't be disappointed with either one...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    Now if you are really serious about drag racing nothing beats a drag preped Powerglide where you have two choices fast and faster.
    X2

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

I wouldn't want a manual, because I'd slam the gears, and beat on the car more than I could with an auto. With regular service, an auto. will outlast a manual. So money wise,I'd go with an auto. Manuals need clutches, and if they're speed shifted, syncros,and other gear probs. occur.

Just my opinion. by the way, I'm 40 yrs. old and have " been there, and done that"
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

M6 seems to get to 150mph faster than an A4

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    M6 seems to get to 150mph faster than an A4
    it does - that is because of the gear ratios.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    I wouldn't want a manual, because I'd slam the gears, and beat on the car more than I could with an auto. With regular service, an auto. will outlast a manual. So money wise,I'd go with an auto. Manuals need clutches, and if they're speed shifted, syncros,and other gear probs. occur.

Just my opinion. by the way, I'm 40 yrs. old and have " been there, and done that"
    Umm..definitely not. With regular service, a manual transmission will outlast an automatic every time. They are generally built stronger, and there is no internal slippage or excessve friction inside the transmission. How many cars do you see with 200K on the clock with an automatic transmission?? Not many, because they don't generally last that long. Unless of course you're talking about a TH350 or TH400, which is a different ballgame. Guys have had 4L60's go out with less than 100K on them, and thats without beating on them. Same thing with the 700R4, which was the earlier version of the 4L60.

Clutches can last indefinitely if you know how to drive stick properly and don't abuse them, and when they do go changing a clutch is a hell of a lot cheaper than rebuilding an automatic trans because the clutches and bands are worn out. The T56 is a heavy duty transmission to begin with, so when properly driven, they can take plenty of abuse. If you happen to be pushing over 500WHP, then all thats required is a rebuilt with heavy duty components to make it completely bulletproof. T56 Rebuilds specializes in that, and you get get one done for under 2K, which is a pretty good deal IMO.

Personally I would never buy any sports car with an automatic, expecially not an F-Body. Just takes all the fun out of driving for me. Instead of me driving the car around, the car is driving me around. I don't like not having complete control over clutch engagement and gear selction. Not to mention that manuals put more power to the ground, get better fuel economy, and are faster than anything short of a fully built up/stalled auto.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information