Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question 4th Gen SS Camaro - A Good Investment...?

Hello -

Looking to buy a 99-02 Camaro SS. I love that year and frankly the new 2010 SS doesn't impress me at all. Well, I registered here to hopefully read unbiased opinions about how well the 4th gen SS will appreciate, if at all. I'm reading other Forums about how badly the 4th gen SS was designed, like interiors suck, etc. I disagree. I think a 99-02 mint SS is a thing of art, cheap to maintain and strong, reliable American sports car.

Comments?

Thank you

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

invest in stocks. with the price of gas nowadays in 20 years gas powered cars could be a thing of the past.
    anyways, i wouldnt buy one for an investment.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Sounds like you would really appreciate an SS if you acquired one, but appreciating in value is not something I would expect or hope for. They are going to most likely continue to depeciate because of gas.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

So your saying V8 American sport cars will be come extinct like the Dinasaur?

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond View Post

I'll always have one. It will always be my play toy.
    But, I will always have one.
    I've had F-body/Ls1 cars since I was 18. I'm not about to stop.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Kup98ss View Post
    I'll always have one. It will always be my play toy.
    But, I will always have one.
    I've had F-body/Ls1 cars since I was 18. I'm not about to stop.
    I've loved them since before I was 18 - and I was 18 in 1973!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Hello -

Looking to buy a 99-02 Camaro SS. I love that year and frankly the new 2010 SS doesn't impress me at all. Well, I registered here to hopefully read unbiased opinions about how well the 4th gen SS will appreciate, if at all. I'm reading other Forums about how badly the 4th gen SS was designed, like interiors suck, etc. I disagree. I think a 99-02 mint SS is a thing of art, cheap to maintain and strong, reliable American sports car.

Comments?

Thank you
    I don't know about you but I have my vehicles (even my 67 Camaro) as toys to have fun with not as an investment. I'm just lucky in that the 67 Camaro I bought more than 20 years ago for $1200 to make into a drag car has appreciated to the point where it's worth in excess of $30K, which is why I'm putting it back to near stock driver condition.

I bought the 02 as a bookend (so to speak) to the 67. I bought the 98 as a driver.

FYI: If you want one as an investment I'd look at the 2002 SS LE (the real 35th Anniversary Camaro), preferrably with as low a mileage as you can find. Either that or one of the "tuner" cars such as a Berger or Earnhardt, something along those lines.

If you've got "long green" (read: lots 'o $$$) then maybe one of the 1 off cars with the C5R 427 or the like.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 06-07-2008 at 07:29 PM.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

I wouldn't say it will ever become extinct casue as long as I always have one it won't die and I know there are a lot of others that feel the same way. I hope to add to my collection.

rapter34
    I didn't by my WS6 because I was thinking of a long term investment down the road. I bought it becasue that is the car I have loved ever since I saw one for the first time. I think ever car guy has had that felling about a car. I look at this generation as being one of the last hura's for gas powered muscle cars. i intend to keep mine forever, and as that may sound unrelistic at 20 I just look at every older car guy I see with their ride that they had when they where 20 and the remores of those other car guys who sold theres. Anywhay if its the car you love buy it.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

i am not sure how well it will appreciate in value over time. but the fact of the matter is they will always be head turners. if you like the car, buy one. but if you're looking to invest money, open a savings account with some good interest rates.

Red
    2001 Camaro Z28

When I was a teenager I wanted a Z28 Camaro more than anything but couldn't afford it. That was the late 70's. Through the years I bought other things as investments house, stocks, etc. Well I finally got that Z28 earlier this year and spent some of that investment money to get it. The pleasure of finally being able to cruise in my car makes up for the $$ lost. So buy the car you want for the best deal possible and don't stick it in some temp controlled garage on jacks with a car cover..Just enjoy it.

Black
    1999 Trans Am Ws6/M6

Buy the car because you love it not for the investment. Havent you seen the guy down the street with his 69' Camaro ss that always washes his car and drives it on the weekends and has always turned down offers for the car? He has it because he loves it and thats the reason I bought mine to. These cars may appreciate in value in the future but dont buy for that investment buy it because you like it.

black silver
    99 z28, 81 z28

investment

Quote Originally Posted by rapter34 View Post
    I didn't by my WS6 because I was thinking of a long term investment down the road. I bought it becasue that is the car I have loved ever since I saw one for the first time. I think ever car guy has had that felling about a car. I look at this generation as being one of the last hura's for gas powered muscle cars. i intend to keep mine forever, and as that may sound unrelistic at 20 I just look at every older car guy I see with their ride that they had when they where 20 and the remores of those other car guys who sold theres. Anywhay if its the car you love buy it.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Hello -

Comments?

Thank you
    To me this is good time to buy SS, as a keeper or investment because many people are scared because of market and giving away their collector cars for pennies on the dollar not knowing that they are holding an american legend that even if fossil goes away these cars will probably be worth even more as collectors. I bought a 2000 SS from a military guy in AZ as an investment on top of 98 Z28 which is my keeper car and even with a few setbacks with car i already have interested buyers for car easily for a modest return . Granted I am investing in a few upgrades for the car and I own shop so can work on the car myself. If I had the money I'd buy every SS from these lost souls who dont understand what they are holding on too. Anyone feel free to disagree but I have much faith in fbody but also have following of interested fbody consumers for my business so car is arguably worth more in my hands once tuned and tweaked with some love in it. Many of these slightly aging fourth gens just need a little love put back in to them in a modest way by the right person that knows what they are doing. There are some smoking deals out there on ls1 fbody I'm constantly lookin around, people are scared and broke just giving them away in some places. Shit to me ls1 gets great mileage You can see high 20 's and 30 mpg on freeway easy. I started out with carbed sbc and ls1 gets great mileage for muscle car for sure.
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 06-09-2008 at 06:53 PM.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

who knows what the future holds.
    they stopped making the f-body because lack of sales.
    whos to say anybody will want one then?
    maybe by then cars will be powered by water

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    who knows what the future holds.
    they stopped making the f-body because lack of sales.
    whos to say anybody will want one then?
    maybe by then cars will be powered by water

LOL! thats awesome nhraformula I think like you too but thats a little far fetched, if we all thought like that than many prospects could be abondoned for fear of drastic change. However im not talking a very long term investment but rather getting some smoking deals on some fbodies that need some love, fixin them up a little and flipping them asap. But like I said my perspective is a little different cause I build and modify fbodies for a living. But if things do hold together in our world and country and economy recovers fbodies that were being given away like currently will be worth money like the 69's of the future. Even if they just sit in a musuem while we drive our "water" cars they could still be worth a lot LOL!. But shit even if you bought one on a smokin deal and couldnt sell it and kept it that wouldnt be so bad I love these cars and will keep my 98 Z28, Sell my SS and buy More SS's or Z28's! But to each his own right.
    Jesse

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

plus for the record they quit making fbody in 02 because of closing canada build plant and temporary lose of camaro trademark to canada based of large loan that was given to gm to keep plant in canada. The safety standards needed to be upgraded for new generation and after dispute with canada gm had no where feasable to build new gen at time and canada got pissed because closing of plant hurt small local enonomy and they held name trademark until gm payed of 20 million dollar loan which wasnt due until 2017. Many people dont know this but its the truth. It wasnt just sales it was much more complicated than that. Do you really think that car doesnt have a following big enough to buy? Think about it we are all loving and talking about a car thats been discontinued for years and foaming at the mouth for the new one. The Fbody has much love and gm goes to great lengths to fullfill our desires with a new Camaro that has latest technology from vette and will eventually get supercharged ls9, truly legendary times to be alive to see the fastest and most powerful production camaro come out soon. I think the introduction of the new one will further cement our 4th gens in the pages of legendary car history.
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 06-09-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

plus ford has been chasing a dream for years ever since trying to out do old ls1 and havnt even come close to beating old fbody buck for buck or MOTOR FOR MOTOR. Now they are looking at getting spanked by new Camaro, especially with ls9 option, I love Chevy.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

i loved camaros, all my life, when i was a kid i wanted a camaro. when i turned 16, i got my licence and bought my first f-body. 1995 firebird 3.4L 5-speed. then after 1.5 years i sold it, and just after 18th birthday i bought my current car. 2002 Camaro SLP SS, 5.7L 6-speed. i always wanted one, now i have one. and its amazing, throw off the t-top, and go flying down the street turning heads.

you wont be disappointed, buy the car.

Red
    2001 Camaro Z28

BlwnCamaro I hear ya...When I bought mine I also figured that the car may increase or more than likely sustain in value which is why I opted for a low mileage car. But not to the degree it's the main reason for buying it. Buy to enjoy first and if times dictate maybe you'll even make a little money on it. With that in mind an SS would appreciate more than a Z28, but with low mileage an SS commands premium $$...I bought an 01 Z28 with 28K mi for under $10K...I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can and when the time comes to sell if I make my money back great, if not Oh well....

Thread Information