Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

400 horses on stock 10 bolt?

Ok fellas, i decided on a car and im gonna check it out on thursday (most likely) Its got H/C/I and makes 454whp and 404tq. Its an M6 2000 SS with 37k miles. The only thing holding me back is the rear end. Its a stock rear and stock clutch. Hes asking 15k for it and dont seem like he wood budge. Will i be ok buying the car and not blowing my rear if i dont get on it. No track/strip until the spring (maybe ill save up $ by then) It does have stock gears, Suspension is all stock to. Will i be ok?

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Ok fellas, i decided on a car and im gonna check it out on thursday (most likely) Its got H/C/I and makes 454whp and 404tq. Its an M6 2000 SS with 37k miles. The only thing holding me back is the rear end. Its a stock rear and stock clutch. Hes asking 15k for it and dont seem like he wood budge. Will i be ok buying the car and not blowing my rear if i dont get on it. No track/strip until the spring (maybe ill save up $ by then) It does have stock gears, Suspension is all stock to. Will i be ok?
    sounds like a bit much to me...

anyways, you will blow the rear and tranny if they are stock with that amount of power.. 9inch is an EASY 2k.. dont know about a tranny, i think they are upwards 1k??? thats 4k.. so you can say iinstead of 15k for the car its 19k..

id pass, but thats just me.. LOTS of good deals right now..

Black
    99 SS

you will be ok as long as you dont take it to the track and dog it out.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Well, I would take it for a good test drive, at least 10 miles. That will tell you if the diff is having any issues. If you hear any noise from it, you can tell him you will have to put something better back there and that is a great reason to offer him at least 2k less. If no noise, then yeah you are ok but know your time is limited. At least you don't have to spend $5k in engine mods!

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

***if you dont get on it you will perfectly fine... but then why would you buy that car if you cant use it? buy a stock one for 7k less.. lol just saying.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

If you get the car, don't put a sticky tire on it until you get a 9'' under it and a good clutch.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I will get on it and take it to the track but not until spring. Tracks i think are closed now anyway. I will ocasionally rip on it hard but not 24/7. I just need to save for a new rear. Idk if 15k is a lot or not. The car does have 37k and is in great shape. Im just worried about the rear.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If you put stickies on a stock car it would be lucky to make a few passes before shitting like a baby with diarrhea. Might be a nice car but there are plenty of deals running around and quite frankly for 15k you could find a used corvette at this point. Wait longer ask zboner what he got his car for it's digusting.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Regarding your original question, you can get away with 450 rwhp on a stock 10 bolt, however you should understand that you're on borrowed time.

I'm making over 540+ rwhp on the spray and have been OK with the stock 10 bolt. That being said, I typically run street radials, don't launch hard from a dig and I have Motive Performance 3.90's (arguably a stronger ring and pinion than the stock parts). I wouldn't recommend this as a long-term fix, however it can potentially be a short-term solution.

Next is the clutch -- My clutch seemed to be the weakest link in my car. We only made it 21K miles with the stock clutch, although I can't speak much for the driving habits of the original owner. I upgraded to the LS7 and it's been great so far (about 15K miles).

Finally, as for the price -- $15K for a 2000 with 37K miles on it is certainly on the higher end of the range. Of course, that doesn't take the mods into account -- if you're pleased with the selections and the setup, then there's certainly some value in that. There are plenty of good deals out there right now and I'm sure you could find one with a better price, however at the end of the day it comes down to finding a car that you're happy with. Sometimes paying a little more for that comfort is worthwhile.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    Regarding your original question, you can get away with 450 rwhp on a stock 10 bolt, however you should understand that you're on borrowed time.

I'm making over 540+ rwhp on the spray and have been OK with the stock 10 bolt. That being said, I typically run street radials, don't launch hard from a dig and I have Motive Performance 3.90's (arguably a stronger ring and pinion than the stock parts). I wouldn't recommend this as a long-term fix, however it can potentially be a short-term solution.

Next is the clutch -- My clutch seemed to be the weakest link in my car. We only made it 21K miles with the stock clutch, although I can't speak much for the driving habits of the original owner. I upgraded to the LS7 and it's been great so far (about 15K miles).

Finally, as for the price -- $15K for a 2000 with 37K miles on it is certainly on the higher end of the range. Of course, that doesn't take the mods into account -- if you're pleased with the selections and the setup, then there's certainly some value in that. There are plenty of good deals out there right now and I'm sure you could find one with a better price, however at the end of the day it comes down to finding a car that you're happy with. Sometimes paying a little more for that comfort is worthwhile.
    Well put. Especially if the OP likes the mods already done, that definitley has some value.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Well i defanatley do like the mods he has done. I will take everything for a drive and make sure its all good. Anything else to look/hear for besides the obvious windows, t-tops etc...? Any1 know how to do a compression check? Do the handheld scanners do that for you? I just have a few questions.

1) He is selling the car and hasnt paid it off. He is gonna over night be the title once he gets the $
    2) He bought the car all stock, y did he dump this kinda $ into it and selling it?
    Just something to think about before making my final decision. I cant seem to find a vette for that kinda $ with those miles.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

i respectufully dis agree with just about everything said,

IF
    your hydraulics are working correctly, and fully disengaging the clutch during shifting the tranny will be more than fine.

the rear end how ever should be fine as well, just do a burn out make sure their is no weird noises, both wheels spin and you will be fine, and if you happen to break 1 it will be only 100 to 200 for a another stocker to fix until you can save up to buy a 9''

the stock clutch will last as long as your not an animal on it, just be easy, dont be slipping the clutch or riding it out of the hole like crazy, and stay off mt's of any sort, nittos and bfg radials will be fine.

also just noticed that he will be sending you the slip, well that does not sound too good, if i was you i would write out a contract have him sign it in front of a notary if your not able to go with him to the bank with your money.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post

I'm making over 540+ rwhp on the spray and have been OK with the stock 10 bolt. That being said, I typically run street radials, don't launch hard from a dig and I have Motive Performance 3.90's [U(arguably a stronger ring and pinion than the stock parts). [/U] I wouldn't recommend this as a long-term fix, however it (arguably a stronger ring and pinion than the stock parts). potentially be a short-term solution.

actually the way it is, the higher the gear ratio, the smaller the gear contact area and the gears themselves, there fore the weaker the ring and pinion.
    also i didnt know they made a 3.90 for out 7.5 ten bolts, stupid question but are you sure they are not 3.73's

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

the way i see it, HP and TQ are curves that follow RPM's. Its prob not crossing the 350hp mark until after 3500-4000 RPM's. No data for that, just speculation. so stay under 3000 and i think youll be fine for awhile. i know thats not much, but you could still have fun under 3000, especially if that puts you at equal power to a stock LS1 at WOT

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Well i defanatley do like the mods he has done. I will take everything for a drive and make sure its all good. Anything else to look/hear for besides the obvious windows, t-tops etc...? Any1 know how to do a compression check? Do the handheld scanners do that for you? I just have a few questions.

1) He is selling the car and hasnt paid it off. He is gonna over night be the title once he gets the $
    2) He bought the car all stock, y did he dump this kinda $ into it and selling it?
    Just something to think about before making my final decision. I cant seem to find a vette for that kinda $ with those miles.
    Sounds like a really nice car. Even significant mods like that should not drive up the price that much. You can always take it to a mechanic and get it looked over real good for $100. With that much power you may have reliability issues to pay for in the future, but hopefully not.

Buying a car by correspondance is risky business. If you can make the purchase in person with him present - you can close the deal at his bank and not take chances.

Good luck!

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    actually the way it is, the higher the gear ratio, the smaller the gear contact area and the gears themselves, there fore the weaker the ring and pinion.
    also i didnt know they made a 3.90 for out 7.5 ten bolts, stupid question but are you sure they are not 3.73's
    he probably has 410s and a big ole tire... hence where he is getting the 390s...

Thread Information