Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

2010 Camaro SS vs 2011 5.0 Mustang GT

It seems in the other thread we talk more about this than the 2012 Z28 .. So I though we might have a thread just for it .. So lets try to keep it clean so this one dont get locked ...

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I wanna have a 2011 Camaro vs a 2011 mustang or a 2010 Camaro vs a 2010 Mustang not different years i dont see how that works???

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    I wanna have a 2011 Camaro vs a 2011 mustang or a 2010 Camaro vs a 2010 Mustang not different years i dont see how that works???
    the 5.0 is in the 2011 .. the 2010 still had the 4.6 .. .. I guess you could say 2011 Camaro SS but I dont think there is any changes from the 2010 ...

Old school may have said a 2010 1/2
    Last edited by snaggeltooth; 04-26-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Lol, the 2011 camaro ss will be the same as the 2010 so it wont make any difference.

victory red
    2007 zo6

i heard that the new 2011 mustang 5.0, is quicker at the drag strip.. beat camaro by a tenth or so, so its close, better driver will win ? also you can get a drag package, that comes with 3:70 rear gears ..also ford mustang is under rated horsepower, may be 30/40 horses more.?..looks like pony wars are heating up again !!! rkvette

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by rkvette View Post
    i heard that the new 2011 mustang 5.0, is quicker at the drag strip.. beat camaro by a tenth or so, so its close, better driver will win ? also you can get a drag package, that comes with 3:70 rear gears ..also ford mustang is under rated horsepower, may be 30/40 horses more.?..looks like pony wars are heating up again !!! rkvette
    Its a little more than .1. More like .2-.5 with almost the same mph.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

I'm still curious to see what happens in the future with the Z28.

But for now, the new Mustang GT is dominating in the pony car wars. There really is no argument to be held between the two.

And my apologizes for de-railing the other thread about the Z28 guys. I was a big reason why the thread went so far off topic.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Well.. I have seen on this site and another about the new 5.0L spanking the SS that was a auto... well got the new Car and Driver magazine in the mail... since people wanna use a magazine last time/video.. lets use this one... Both Cars (2011 GT and 2010 SS) went 0-60 in 4.6sec... the 1/4 times are... GT 13.2@109 / SS 13.0@111 ......

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

i had to bring this over from the other thread because i wrote a response and then it closed...

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    I really think that is where Ford is winning the race .. seems that Ford is learning off of Rousch and Shelby and just keep making better cars .. While I dont think GM has anything like that .. to bad they killed PONTIAC , they always had great engineers so if Chevy came out with something Pontiac could do a one up on them...
    Ford copying Shelby helped them incredibly during the late 60's, and into the beginning of the 70's until OPEC killed them off. the Mustang wouldn't have gotten the muscle car rep it has today if Ford hadn't. so, yes Ford seems to just be repeating it's actions,

they even copied look-wise, ever notice how the front end of a '71-'73 mustang looks like the front end of a '69-'70 shelby? ever notice how the front end of the new '10-'11 mustang resembles the front end of a '05-'09 GT-500? its no coincidence i'll tell you that.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Its a little more than .1. More like .2-.5 with almost the same mph.
    that's only with the optional 3:73's. and a good driver. it's obvious that the new 5.0 with the standard gears is slower than the camaro ss. low torque ftl

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by najaf4life View Post
    Well.. I have seen on this site and another about the new 5.0L spanking the SS that was a auto... well got the new Car and Driver magazine in the mail... since people wanna use a magazine last time/video.. lets use this one... Both Cars (2011 GT and 2010 SS) went 0-60 in 4.6sec... the 1/4 times are... GT 13.2@109 / SS 13.0@111 ......
    BUT, did the gt have the 3:73's? sticky tires? better driver? a head start? did it get to run down hill? you combine all these things and the gt will run faster than a camaro. so it's obvious that the new gt is wayyyyyy better than the camaro.

1998 Trans Am

what the mustang should have looked like IMO

its already a tank so might as well copy the big 71-73's look wise

2006 GTO

It will be really interesting when the big boys get the Mustangs and do their magic!

It is, however, unfortunate, that there are not the major companies like Saleen, for example that are dedicated to F Bodies. Part of the problem is the dropping of the F body from 2003 thru 2009. But there are also lots of very talented Camaro builders out there doing amazing things like Nickey Camaro, Fesler Built, plus many more.

So how cool would it be to have a shoot out between a fully prepped Camaro and new Mustang that are both street legal and see what they do side by side and to OE formats!

mike
    dms

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

If that test was a straight-up head-to-head with the standard gears and summer rubber, than I am glad to see the Camaro still comes out on top. But how are the handling numbers? As I said in the last thread, I'm all for GM, but a better car is a better car and if credit is due, I'll give it (even if I'm a bit pissed off about it).

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

And I still feel that the Camaro could stand to lose a few pounds, regardless.

2006 GTO

Being a performance suspension manufacturers, and understanding the basic chassis of both the Camaro and the Mustang, when you step up the hp and handling, there are no supplemental braces that need to be done on the Camaro. Cannot say this for the Mustang!. Also dropping a Camaro does not change critical geometry like it does on the Mustang. The body and chassis on the Camaro is seriously built stronger than the Mustang. yet it makes her a little chubby.

mike
    dms

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

So how cool would it be to have a shoot out between a fully prepped Camaro and new Mustang that are both street legal and see what they do side by side and to OE formats!
    It would not be cool, they do it all the time .. Testing big $$ cars that most people cant afford ..
    I say a test between NORMALLY modded cars and see what happens ...

2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    It would not be cool, they do it all the time .. Testing big $$ cars that most people cant afford ..
    I say a test between NORMALLY modded cars and see what happens ...
    I am not talking about testing a highly LS7 Nickey Camaro and a fully equipped Saleen Mustang. Both these rides can be in the $75-$85k range, But if you could do it with the following:
    1. Street legal forced induction
    2. Long tube headers
    3. custom program
    4. Coil overs
    5. Bushings, bars, etc
    6. Wheels and tires set up for performance and street legal.

This is a under $50K Camaro and Mustang, and relatively popular combos.

The challenges I see in so many of the articles is the do not compare best OE performance to best OE performance. Case in point, last year most of the magazines used a Charger RT instead of a SRT8, which is radically different. That is bias!. You need to compare the Mustang GT with performance summer tires, and not all weather tires, that was just done. You need to compare the vehicles on the same track surface, same day, same driver and preferably 2 different pro drivers. It is crazy to compare data from different times, dates, and locations. Case in point, Last year's Motor Trend comparison has different results that this year. The Camaro did not change. What did? Driver, location, weather, different presets on the OE alignment, different ride heights, lots of things. The Mustang GT I believe has an optional Brembo braking system where as the Camaro SS is standard. The Mustang summer tires are much better than the OE Camaro SS due to the lower aspect ratios. So if they are using the optional Summer, lower aspect ratio tires on the Mustang, shouldn't they use the optional 21 inch wheels and tire s from GM that has a lower aspect ratio?

Lots of variable here and you really need to understand all the parameters of each of these tests.

mike
    dms

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

You seem to have put a lot of thought into this .. So what if one is faster or handles better .. Big deal .. it wont be by much

1998 Trans Am

I'm getting from this that there should be two tests, which should be stated clearly after done:

-a test of competitors that are evenly priced.

-and a test of competitors that are evenly optioned.

because they are two different things. the r/t charger was used because the srt8 was much more expensive.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information