Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SUNSET ORANGE METALLIC
    2002 CAMARO

Angry 2002 som v6 coupe - value

Insurance company wants to total my 2002 SOM V6 Coupe with T-tops.

They say there is 7k in damages and my baby is only worth $3,274. My windshield and right side headlight are cracked and I know he has a lot of miles on him (199k, yes I said 199k) and still as good as the day I drove him home with only 6 miles on the odometer.

I was told by the body shop that there was approximately 5k in damages, no frame or suspension damage.

The adjustor has been nothing but uncooperative and will not even take into account that my car is only 1 of 1,234. If I could narrow that down I would but, don't know how to find out about production numbers for the remaining 1,234 for t-top, Monsoon and Sport appearance pkg. etc.

The accident was not my fault. I was in a double turn lane when the lady on the inside pulled a pit move on me, pushed me about 8ft down the road with me stuck in front of her looking at her grill and watching the scenery pass by, I was turned again to end up facing the on-coming traffic when she hit my left front end with the dually wheel. Luckily we weren't going any faster and I wasn't hurt.

I sent the adjustor other cars like mine that are selling from 8k to 11k and was quickly told by him that these cars are not comparable to mine in condition, mileage and price. Well no, not on there price because they are trying to screw me. After telling him I did not agree to the price they were offering me and after I asked for their estimate on the 7k in damages they sent me a check 2 days later minus salvage value. I WILL NOT be cashing that check!

Help!!!! I'm looking for help if this has happen to anyone else, I'm sure it has and a real replacement value of my baby.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Going back and forth with the insurance company will get you no where. To get the most out of the situation you will probly have to get an attorney but is it worth it?
    I would take the check, buy it back and run with the extra money.
    I got into a wreck not too long ago, they gave me 4 grand, i spent 400 bucks on a new bumper and tow hitch and called it a day.
    Was for my Dodge Ram though.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

white
    2000 Z28

insurance companies arent suckers. depending on the company they go strictly off of blue book or nada values. which will not show any v6 4th gen, with high miles mind you, worth more than 5k . and your car by their standards should have been totaled about 99k miles ago according to any ins co. im not downing your car in any way. that just happens to be how they operate. it is very unfortunate.

Don't mean to put down the car, but we are talking about a car almost 10 years old with 200,000 miles. And it's a V6.....frankly we aren't talking about a collectable.

As cheap as you can buy a 4th gen Z28 now, with half the miles,,,,I'd just take the money, scap the car and upgrade.

About 2 years ago, my wifes 97 Z28 convertable 6 speed (that we bought new) was rearended and totalled. Had 120,000 miles on it. It was otherwise prestine and well kept. They wanted to give me $7,500 for the car, at the time it was also 10 years old....

I looked at prices of 98-02 Z28's. They were only $2-3,000 more with half the miles. I said hell ya, scrap the car and write me a check....

Went out and bought a real 2000 SS camaro with SLP options for $10K and only 48,000 miles.

I had to put a couple grand with it,,,,but I'd say I came out ahead. I'm willing to bet you could do the same considering the going rate on 4th gens right now.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Its a shame to see another SOM camaro off the road, but like said it is a v6 and it gives you an chance to upgrade to a v8 car with less miles. Take the money and buy another one.

SUNSET ORANGE METALLIC
    2002 CAMARO

What has me the most frustrated is the insurance company is not even offering book value; they are getting the value from a so called third-party that sold them what the value of my car should be from vehicles’ that don't even exist. The two places they said they checked to get a value for my car don't have any for sale let alone like mine. Funny thing was the second place they said they got a value from was the dealer where I ordered my car and they couldn't remember the last time they had anything close to an 02 for sale.

Needless to say this impartial third-party company CCC One is full of shit and they are only selling the insurance companies the values they want to use to screw us out of our vehicles value.

The fact that this insurance company just cut me a check minus salvage value after I told them I was not agreeing to their lowball value is beyond ridiculous. I have been told that insurance companies won't cut you a check if you intend to keep the vehicle until you give them the title so they can have the DMV change the title to a salvaged.

Thanks for the replies, just frustrated with all the BS from this insurance company and getting screwed for something that wasn't my fault.

Black
    2001 Camaro ss

..I would look at your policy..somewhere in there there must be a VALUE associated with your car..your policy rate may have been based on this value along with other factors..I would also have a lawyer's opinion..3274 dollars is a low figure for your car...these adjusters are nothing more than conmen in a monkey suit...the bastard is looking for promotions and or bonuses at your expense..

pink
    02 SS

Insurance companies don't cut checks based on what the car is worth to you unless you pay extra for collector car insurance.

Your car is probably the furthest thing from a collector aside from the color.

From their standpoint.

Your car has 199K miles.
    It's a base model car (regardless of the color and options, they don't care).
    Your car has more damage than they feel it's worth.

Be thankful you aren't in the opposite position where you DON'T WANT the car anymore and they're refusing to total it. I've been there and it sucks. I got the car back with more problems than it went in with.

Sorry to say dude, but you're kinda screwed.

You have two options.

Call YOUR insurance adjuster and say "I feel like this other company is screwing me. I am paying you premiums to fight for me in the case someone else hits me, I would like your help settling this matter." Do as you've already done - find current cars comparable to yours with MILEAGE (most important), options and condition (before the accident) and tell them to do work.

Or just take the check and buy something else. You aren't going to find an SOM car for the price, but you can pick up any base model V6 car and paint it for 6K. Demand compensation for your time, inconvenience, and pain and suffering.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by oso ss View Post
    Insurance companies don't cut checks based on what the car is worth to you unless you pay extra for collector car insurance.

Your car is probably the furthest thing from a collector aside from the color.

From their standpoint.

Your car has 199K miles.
    It's a base model car (regardless of the color and options, they don't care).
    Your car has more damage than they feel it's worth.

Be thankful you aren't in the opposite position where you DON'T WANT the car anymore and they're refusing to total it. I've been there and it sucks. I got the car back with more problems than it went in with.

Sorry to say dude, but you're kinda screwed.

You have two options.

Call YOUR insurance adjuster and say "I feel like this other company is screwing me. I am paying you premiums to fight for me in the case someone else hits me, I would like your help settling this matter." Do as you've already done - find current cars comparable to yours with MILEAGE (most important), options and condition (before the accident) and tell them to do work.

Or just take the check and buy something else. You aren't going to find an SOM car for the price, but you can pick up any base model V6 car and paint it for 6K. Demand compensation for your time, inconvenience, and pain and suffering.
    No, A fully loaded v6 is NOT considered a base model Camaro, and the nada does not list it as such. A z28 with the exact same options goes for barely 1k more than the v6 model with the exact options and in (excellent condition) under same criteria.. Ask me how I know..( aunt is a former insurance adjuster Nation W.)
    I would wager without looking they would also have comparable value if both had 200k on their clocks. Once a vehicle reaches the title or is designated " vehical mileage exceeds mechanical limits" they are near worthless to any insurance co. My (80k ish mileage) NBM v6 is loaded and carries more options than a standard z28/ss only things it does'nt have is leather, power seat, and a v8.. I'm loaded right down to the "appearance package" other than what I've listed, you name it my car has it.. Here check this out..
    http://www.kbb.com/used-cars?trid=3&...3990-1&sissr=1

Insurance Co's are in the buisness of making money not paying it out and they always will try to lowball folks, reguardless of make, it's what they do..

My list of options:
    power locks
    power windows
    power hatch release
    power mirrors
    monsoon
    t-top
    rear defrost
    z28 apearance package
    ASR
    Programmable 4spd auto
    4-wheel disk brakes
    fly by wire (No 4th-gen v8 f-bod carries this)
    ac
    tilt
    cruise
    fogs
    etc,etc

Ps. "base" model SS's also came with a single tail pipe like a 6er..

To the OP, total it and start over IMHO..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-16-2010 at 07:11 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

pink
    02 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    No, A fully loaded v6 is NOT considered a base model Camaro, and the nada does not list it as such. A z28 with the exact same options goes for barely 1k more than the v6 model with the exact options and in (excellent condition).. Ask me how I know..
    I would wager without looking they would also have comparable value if both had 200k on their clocks. Once a vehicle reaches the title or is designated " vehical mileage exceeds mechanical limits" they are near worthless to any insurance co. My v6 is loaded and carries more options than a standard z28/ss only things it does'nt have is leather, power seat, and a v8.. I'm loaded right down to the "appearance package" other than what I've listed, you name it my car has it.. Here check this out..
    http://www.kbb.com/used-cars?trid=3&...3990-1&sissr=1

Insurance Co's are in the buisness of making money not paying it out and they always will try to lowball folks, reguardless of make, it's what they do..
    2002 Camaro, all options relevant selected (I didn't select stuff like DVD player and things that didn't come factory but checked everything else).

Good
    $2,875

2002 Camaro Z28 (same options selected to the letter)

Good
    $3,625

2002 Camaro 35th Anniv Coupe (SS package this time + same as above)

Good
    $6,250

Your link just sent me to a main KBB page. So I decided to look for myself.

Having owned both V6 and V8 Mustangs and V6 and V8 Camaros I can tell you the insurance companies don't care. They simply DO NOT care when it comes to paying you out.

They won't pay you more because your car came with certain options or had a certain color. They will give you money towards a COMPARABLE car, meaning they don't care if you had a rare option like a 12+1 disc cd changer if you can find a car that just has an in-dash.

From what I just saw from KBB numbers he should REALLY take the money and run.

The biggest flaw in your arguement is that you're basing them off "excellent condition." No matter how well you take care of a car, no one will consider it to be in "Excellent" condition from a sales/buyer standpoint with that many miles.

pink
    02 SS

Ps. "base" model SS's also came with a single tail pipe like a 6er..
    ......What relevance does this have to this thread, what-so-ever?

My car has an LS2 and a single tail pipe AND I have two mufflers inline... but that has nothing to do with this thread either.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

......What relevance does this have to this thread, what-so-ever?

My car has an LS2 and a single tail pipe AND I have two mufflers inline... but that has nothing to do with this thread either.
    You're new so I'll cut you some slack for the misinfo you stated earlier. Relavance is "dual exhaust" was an option son wake up it's relavance goes to the vehicles value more=more.. You basicly told him his car is worthless because it's a v6 with high mileage and a "base" Camaro (no such title given). As a 4-time Camaro owner I was setting things strait. I simply pointed out weather it's a v8 or v6 they look @ what the vehicle books for. Also my insurance looked @ vehicle options through my VIN to determine it's insured value.. Stop spreading misinfo, do some reading and/or research before you go on the attack... Google is your friend..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-16-2010 at 07:44 AM.

pink
    02 SS

You're new so I'll cut you some slack for the misinfo you stated earlier. Relavance is "dual exhaust" was an option son wake up it's relavance goes to the vehicles value more=more.. You basicly told him his car is worthless because it's a v6 with high mileage and a "base" Camaro (no such title given). As a 4-time Camaro owner I was setting things strait. I simply pointed out weather it's a v8 or v6 they look @ what the vehicle books for. Also my insurance looked @ vehicle options through my VIN to determine it's insured value.. Stop spreading misinfo, do some reading and/or research before you go on the attack... Google is your friend..
    LMFAO!!! New to this site maybe. I've had 3 Camaros since 2004, as well as 3 Mustangs so dealing with insurance companies on the matter is not something I'm new to either.

In his case he is simply SCREWED. He's dealing with the OTHER GUYS insurance company that is trying to pay him out on a car that their customer wrecked. You think they care that his car was a rare V6 or that it had a chip in the windshield and no dents on the drivers side fender, oh and it had a CD player and power seats? No. They're going to bluebook the car or use whatever source they see fit (in this case apparently a third party company who is even more dick than I am), lowball his brains out and call it a day.

Nit-picking over specifics isn't going to get him his car fixed, back, or not fubar'd.

It seems to be the point you and everyone else in this thread is missing. It's not a rare collectors car. It's not a highly modified race car. It's a base model (6 cyl) car with a metric asston of miles on it that happens to have the coolest color GM ever thought up (I had an 01 SOM SS myself). Therefore the insurance company isn't going to listen to his speech about sentiment and how it's going to be a PITA to find another one just like it, they're going to offer him a check for the amount THEY think is fair, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks and they'll call it a day.

As much as it sucks the OP is getting hassled, screwed around and low-balled, it doesn't surprise me as I've gone through the same sh*t from insurance companies to the point when my first car was stolen they simply didn't pay me for it. It blows, but that's the gamble you take with insurance.

*edit* LOL they aren't going to add more money onto your check because your car had 2 tips instead of 1. LOL

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

To the OP - did you go to the hospital, and did the insurance settle for injuries already? If not, ask them what they are going to do to compensate you for medical. They will ask you if you are hurt or injured, and if your not you can tell them that but who knows what could happen down the road as a result of this accident. They will be more likely to settle with you on your car value if you do this. Kinda stupid but you gotta play their game. I had a 72 Roadrunner that got rearended and the guy's insurance wanted to give me $300 dollars to replace the rear bumper, valance, and trunk lid, and paint to match. After bringing up the medical point, they told me to take it to a garage and get it fixed and they would pay. If you didn't go to the hospital, I guess it's just a bit of advice in case it happens again - hopefully it doesn't.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Exclamation

LMFAO!!! New to this site maybe. I've had 3 Camaros since 2004, as well as 3 Mustangs so dealing with insurance companies on the matter is not something I'm new to either.

In his case he is simply SCREWED. He's dealing with the OTHER GUYS insurance company that is trying to pay him out on a car that their customer wrecked. You think they care that his car was a rare V6 or that it had a chip in the windshield and no dents on the drivers side fender, oh and it had a CD player and power seats? No. They're going to bluebook the car or use whatever source they see fit (in this case apparently a third party company who is even more dick than I am), lowball his brains out and call it a day.

Nit-picking over specifics isn't going to get him his car fixed, back, or not fubar'd.

It seems to be the point you and everyone else in this thread is missing. It's not a rare collectors car. It's not a highly modified race car. It's a base model (6 cyl) car with a metric asston of miles on it that happens to have the coolest color GM ever thought up (I had an 01 SOM SS myself). Therefore the insurance company isn't going to listen to his speech about sentiment and how it's going to be a PITA to find another one just like it, they're going to offer him a check for the amount THEY think is fair, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks and they'll call it a day.

As much as it sucks the OP is getting hassled, screwed around and low-balled, it doesn't surprise me as I've gone through the same sh*t from insurance companies to the point when my first car was stolen they simply didn't pay me for it. It blows, but that's the gamble you take with insurance.

*edit* LOL they aren't going to add more money onto your check because your car had 2 tips instead of 1. LOL
    .. That's just a tarted statement. I'm not about to get into a pissing match with you. I don't give a rats azz how many cars you say you've owned over that past few years. Shit if you wanna go that retard route, shit by the time I was 10 years old I prolly had 8 field cars give or take. I'm 35 and been around cars and race cars for all of those years (25 or so) I can remember.. Again you told the OP their car was basicly worthless because it's a v6 I refuted because you're WRONG! Insurance companies look @ book, VIN's and mileage period unless the person buying the insurance wants some kind of special policy such has classic car insurance. Anyone can buy insurance for a vehicle does'nt mean they know or understand sh7t about how the company operates. It's common sense buyer beware..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-16-2010 at 09:10 AM.

pink
    02 SS

I would definitely not get into a pissing match with me because even if I'm wrong I don't back down LOL.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I would definitely not get into a pissing match with me because even if I'm wrong I don't back down LOL.
    Oh I've had my share of e-thug battles..lol You will loose... Back on subject..

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Back on subject..
    2nd that. I think we would all like our cars to be worth more if they get wrecked or we want to sell them. The sad thing is that most aren't worth that much anymore.
    Good luck to the OP and anyone else who has the misfortune of having to deal with an insurance adjuster.

pink
    02 SS

LOL you have nooooooo idea.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

LOL you have nooooooo idea.

You both will lose.

Thread Information