pewtar
    2002 SS

2002 Camaro SS Emptying the gas tank

My Camaro SS has been sitting in the garage for a little while. I would like to pump the gas tank out as easily as possible. Is it possible to do so using the factory in tank pump or is there a better way?
    Thanks

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Not trying to make this reply a useless one, but I wouldn't see why you wouldn't be able to siphon the gas out of it? The only obstacle would be if there is a trap-screen somewhere in the filler neck, before the tank, that would prevent you from getting a hose down in there. I know in the model year 2000 they didn't put one in there, as mine doesn't have one. I know you can go to a local hardware store and probably pick one up pretty cheap. Either that or get some real small diameter radiator hose to do with it. Put your lips on the one end, with your thumb in the middle, keep it close as your sucking. Once you feel the fuel is getting closer to your end, go slower and use your thumb to help with suction, that way you don't get much at all in your mouth. And when you release your thumb, make sure that the end of the hose is lower than the opposing end that is in the tank. Otherwise, gravity won't allow it to continue to pour out. This kind of siphoning sucks, but hey, it's cheap, easy, and it works Oh, and when you get done, should you somehow have gotten some gas in your mouth, just light up a cigarette to get that taste of your mouth, works everytime
    Last edited by MrMasterCraft; 02-03-2010 at 04:45 PM.

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

pewtar
    2002 SS

Thanks for the response, I have already tried...unable to get the hose down the filler neck. I had thought about disconnecting the fuel filter under the car, hooking up a hose to the tank side and turning the ignition key to the on position. Anybody done this?

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I've heard of numerous people suggest this, but nobody attempt this. How much gas is in your tank? And how long has it really been sitting? Last time I put gas in my car was November, and I drove it last weekend w/ no problems on a half tank. I'm no chemical engineer, but you could always try to throw a few gallons of cam2 in it, if it's the loss of octane you're worried about? At the same time, if you don't have much in it, go ahead and disconnect the feed line and continue to turn the ignition switch between on and off. I've never tried but I've seen/heard more than a few people suggest it.... with nobody ever attempting it If it works out for ya, just be careful about the fuel level getting low and burning up the pump. Then you'd have to drop the tank anyways, and that would kind of defeat the purpose since that's what you're trying to avoid in the first place, I would assume, right?! Anyways, keep us posted, let us know what you decide and how it goes. I'd keep trying the hose, on mine I had to turn it a few times and a few different ways to get it lodged down in there. Kind of had to force it a little actually.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Alot of the newer cars have a siphon block in or towards the bottom of the filler neck to prevent people from stealing your gas. Try to add some sta/bill fuel stabilizer. That stuff works great with gas thats been in the tank for a while

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

My Y2K doesn't have it. And from my understanding. 99-02 nothing was changed. I'd go with the cam 2 trick, buy 2 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket and throw 3 gallons of 92 or 93 (whatever you have available). Fuel Stabilizer might help, but it's sole purpose is to help hold the chemical properties together, so that loss of octane doesn't occur, and "gumming" doesn't happen. If you're gas has been sitting in a while where you've had alot of moisture, you need an octane boost. Your car, your money, this is my opinion. Take it for what it's worth... which probly ain't much
    Last edited by MrMasterCraft; 02-03-2010 at 06:43 PM.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Here's what I did with my SS.It unfortunately has to sit so all I can do is run the engine.I add Sta-bil to a five gallon gas can and a bottle of Techron every other tank full and so far I have had no problems.I do try to run the car very regularly.So its always getting fresh gas.

I had to remove gas from my wifes Z28 a couple years ago. After it was totalled and I had just filled it with gas, I wanted it back before it was hauled away.

What I did was pull the line loose at the filter and turn the key on. The problem I had though, was the pump only running a few seconds and shutting off. Usually that is done after the pump has built pressure in the fuel rails,,,,but I thought it wouldn't matter since the line was disconnected at the fuel filter. For some reason it still would shut off after a few seconds.
    So I just cycled the key back and forth until I filled a pair of 5 gallon gas cans. Left about 1/4 tank in the car.
    This took a while but it worked. Not sure why the pump still cycled like that with no pressure in the fuel rail.

Kinda funny though, My 92 GMC Typhoon actually had a wire off of the firewall from the factory. I could simply connect it to 12 volts (jumper to the battery) and it would run the pump. It was a nice feature, stuck a hose right on the fuel rail pressure line and into a gas can. Never had to crawl under the car.

Not sure why GM quit doing that. Would be nice to have a fuel pump hot wire under the hood of all these electric fuel pump cars.

I'd pull the line loose at the filter as well.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I'd just run the damn thing

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I have done this.. You can do it with a peice of hose and the factory pump/key on. Unrestricked the stock pump is still pretty powerfull by pump mechanism standards. It will empty your tank quickly. Side note: I would also replace the filter while you're there. You'll have it half unhooked anyway. Sorry did'nt read all the posts tho..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Thread Information