Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Question 2000 SS stock exhaust?

Alright sports fans. New here. Been all over the interwebz looking for this info, but I haven't found anything deifnitive. I have what I am pretty sure (haven't run the VIN yet, but it's got the SLP door sticker) is a "real" 2000 Camaro SS (not a clone). What I want to know, is did the SS's of that year all come with the SLP exhaust, and what "version" is it suppsoed to be (dual/dual, Loudmouth, etc.). Looking to upgrade my exhaust from headers all the way back, but I wanna know if the stock set-up behind the y-pipe is worth keeping.

The only optional exhaust available for the SS was the Dual/Dual. It is not the loudmouth however. Those are constantly confused together for some reason.

The optional Dual/Dual uses a stainless steel welded case transverse muffler with a 3" I-pipe and dual 2 1/2" tailpipes. The tips are split stainless which give the exhaust it's "dual/dual" name. This is also the system that was used when the optional CME was checked off. You had to have the optional Dual/Dual system to order the CME.

It just so happens that the loudmouth uses the same tips, but it's a completely different system with a bullet muffler in the I-pipe and the system was only available over the counter.

Both my 2000 SS and my 2002 SS has the optional Dual/Dual. The latter with the CME. If you have an SS with the optional Exhaust, you would have to have an SS that is equipped with SLP options. The driver door sticker would signify this with a "Y2Y" code. The passenger door will then list the additional options. If the car was equipped with Dual/Dual, this sticker will simply say "performance exhaust".

This system was also available on the Firehawks.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The only optional exhaust available for the SS was the Dual/Dual. It is not the loudmouth however. Those are constantly confused together for some reason.

The optional Dual/Dual uses a stainless steel welded case transverse muffler with a 3" I-pipe and dual 2 1/2" tailpipes. The tips are split stainless which give the exhaust it's "dual/dual" name. This is also the system that was used when the optional CME was checked off. You had to have the optional Dual/Dual system to order the CME.

It just so happens that the loudmouth uses the same tips, but it's a completely different system with a bullet muffler in the I-pipe and the system was only available over the counter.

Both my 2000 SS and my 2002 SS has the optional Dual/Dual. The latter with the CME. If you have an SS with the optional Exhaust, you would have to have an SS that is equipped with SLP options. The driver door sticker would signify this with a "Y2Y" code. The passenger door will then list the additional options. If the car was equipped with Dual/Dual, this sticker will simply say "performance exhaust".

This system was also available on the Firehawks.
    Hmmm very interesting. I was one of those people who always confused it then. Thanks for sharing the info.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    Hmmm very interesting. I was one of those people who always confused it then. Thanks for sharing the info.
    Well, it's understandable I guess, the tips are the only thing people see, yet that's the only piece that is the same between the systems.

It doesn't help either that the optional Dual/Dual system has long been discontinued for years and is unavailable other than a used system pulled off a car. So most people are just unaware it even existed.

Thread Information