Black
    2001 SS

100K engine want 500+rwhp $7-8k parts options?

Hey all I read the forums everday but I dont post much. I asked a generalized question once on how to get about 550 on the ground in terms of HP, and had some very helpful responses but generalized answers like "heads cams etc "

My question this time is way more specific for a couple things.

My LS1 6sp has over 100K miles on it, I have know clue of the condition other then it seems to run great, My goal for the car is to have over 500hp on the ground and for it to be streetable.

I am very new to american cars, and sadly I am more of a buyer instead of a mechanic but I am trying to change that so a lot of the time I do not know what things mean or are, or what is what.

Anyways, I budgeting about 7-8k for just parts, is it possible to get a reliable 500+hp rwhp ?

Should i buy a new 383 or 402 stoker ? Should i keep and build upon my LS1 that has over 100K miles ? Do I need a new tranny ? I already know I will be putting a new rear end in .

Any "paint by number" advice and tips would be loved, also vendor help would be nice, thank you in advance
    Last edited by jadenharrow; 08-06-2008 at 03:37 PM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

More cubic inches equals easier on the engine high horsepower levels.

For instance, assume 1 hp/cid on any given engine without stress on major components. This is easily attainable. 346cid = 346hp; 402 = 402 hp. Just in size alone you've gained 58 hp (all things being equal). Therefore bigger hp numbers are more easily attained with a larger cid engine. It's also less stress on the engine.

All the same though, horsepower is just a function of torque so you really want an engine with a lot of torque.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    More cubic inches equals easier on the engine high horsepower levels.

For instance, assume 1 hp/cid on any given engine without stress on major components. This is easily attainable. 346cid = 346hp; 402 = 402 hp. Just in size alone you've gained 58 hp (all things being equal). Therefore bigger hp numbers are more easily attained with a larger cid engine. It's also less stress on the engine.

All the same though, horsepower is just a function of torque so you really want an engine with a lot of torque.
    427 = Pure Heaven!!!!

Black
    2001 SS

Ya I think I know about the different size's that I could put in and the 1hp per cube rule of averages :P, btw whats the largest that fits right in without having to alter to much?

So do you guys think I should build a stroker if so what size, should i buy a block, short or long, should i buy a crate mortor, where should i get one i live in cali? Should i keep and build upon my LS1 that has over 100K miles if I do what parts should i buy to get my 500+ ? Do I need a new tranny ? I already know I will be putting a new rear end in (thats not in the 7-8k budget, its already taken care of)

Any "paint by number" advice and tips would be loved, also vendor help would be nice, thank you
    Last edited by jadenharrow; 08-06-2008 at 09:13 PM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Living in Cali, especially the LA basin (I see Chino - I was born and raised in the South Bay) you're gonna have problems with the smog Nazi's. If I was you I'd look at legal things I could do. Everything you change will have to have a CARB number on it. Lot's of things you can do. Gears aren't illegal. Shorty headers won't help much on the flow as 01 & 02 have a pretty good exhaust to start with but will reduce weight. You can get away with a mild cam (others here will know what you can use) and a looser converter.

You might want to put up a similar post in the western section. Lots of Cali folks there and they will know what you can and cannot do.

Black
    2001 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Living in Cali, especially the LA basin (I see Chino - I was born and raised in the South Bay) you're gonna have problems with the smog Nazi's. If I was you I'd look at legal things I could do. Everything you change will have to have a CARB number on it. Lot's of things you can do. Gears aren't illegal. Shorty headers won't help much on the flow as 01 & 02 have a pretty good exhaust to start with but will reduce weight. You can get away with a mild cam (others here will know what you can use) and a looser converter.

You might want to put up a similar post in the western section. Lots of Cali folks there and they will know what you can and cannot do.

I thank you for the info, I am actually in Chico its way up north Chico State might ring a bell :P I dont have to worry about smog restrictions anymore , but thank you I was originally worried about that but no more.

so..
    So do you guys think I should build a stroker if so what size, should i buy a block, short or long, should i buy a crate mortor, where should i get one i live in cali? Should i keep and build upon my LS1 that has over 100K miles if I do what parts should i buy to get my 500+ ? Do I need a new tranny ? I already know I will be putting a new rear end in (thats not in the 7-8k budget, its already taken care of

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I say a 408 stroker is the best bet. I wouldn't go trying to make that much power on a motor thats not gonna last much longer.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

383 stroker with nitrous 500+ easy RWHP and very streetable

Black
    2001 SS

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    I really rather not spray :P

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

my lst of mods goes like this
    get a nine inch rear end,lca's,torque arm,and 15"slicks
    and then put a 150 shot of spray on it

you could get away with this stuff for about four thousand and you will be faster with this stuff than with a bad ass motor and no traction

and then in the future you will be ready to harness the power of a big bad motor

not sure if you said you were a standard or auto,but you will probably end up blowing the auto or losing your clutch in the m6,but once that is taken care of you should be pretty solid

if you must build a motor a 408 stroker is definitely my first choice,then a 454 lsx smallblock which is in second because of price

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

i guess you want 500rwhp for bragging rights but i really wouldnt focus on hp,instead focus on e.t. at the track

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Why the hell go with a 383 when a 408 is right at the same cost? Not to mention the 383s have clearance problems, etc if not built perfect. At least thats what I've read...

Thread Information