1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Cool '00 SS $4,500- Should I get it?

I have run across a '00 SS with 98,000 miles on it for $4,500. It's a six speed, t-tops car. But the thing is that it has been pretty abused. The body is in decent shape and it looks really nice. But when I took it for a test drive I found out why it is $4,500! The syncros are toast in every gear except 1st, it grinds evertime I shift. There is also something wrong with the motor. They said the mass airflow sensor had gone out which made the car backfire and run horrible. they replaced the sensor and the car appears to run ok but it is definately down on power!!! I floored it in 2nd gear on a wet road and it din't even break loose. I don't have alot of money so I was just wondering if I should buy the car for $4,500? If not what should I offer? Thanks for the input guys!

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

its a good price, it might be worth bringing it to a mechanic to get an estimate on how much it would be to fix.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by z28punk View Post
    its a good price, it might be worth bringing it to a mechanic to get an estimate on how much it would be to fix.
    X2 a great idea. He probably powershifted the thing and raced the hell out of it. But yea $4500 for a 2000 SS is veryyy tempting.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Yeah, but It needs the trans rebuilt and at least the heads rebuilt. How much do you think it would end up costing me? It's also an East coast car. It doesn't have a traction control switch. Does that mean it has full time TC or it doesn't have TC at all.

Awaiting Activation
    if you are getting head work you might as well have them ported and polished or get new performance heads. If there is no traction switch that means no traction at all.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

I didn't know traction control was an option. I thought it came standard. Another thing that caught my attention is that on the dash the fog light switch is to the right of the camaro plaque. Isn't the fog light switch supposed to be on the far left. then the ASR button, and then to the right of both of them is the CAMARO plaque. Is that something to be concerned about?

Awaiting Activation
    thats really weird. does it look cheaply done or professional?

black
    1999 camaro z28

the switches can be easily moved around to fit into any of the four openings. the camaro plaque takes up to spaces and is usually found on the far left. but all you need to do is remove the radio/vent plate, and move the switches or the plaque around, no big deal, there are post on here where people move the plaque to the center two spaces then put there switches on either side of it. all a matter of where you want it. on my past camaro's i removed the plaque completely and glued it above/ the glove box, (similar to the old style) and inserted four switches into the dash.
    AMERICAN muscle

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Are you sure the problem of grinding gears isn't due to the clutch being out of adjustment or the pressure plate being weakened from abuse. Probably a lot cheaper than a new tranny. Also, how do you know the car needs head work? Have you had a professional mechanic look at it? It could be badly in need of a tune-up, or the MAF could be filthy, or a million other reasons why the car is sluggish that don't involve a major overhaul. You said you don't have a lot of money. This car sounds like a project. Projects cost money. If you buy it for $4,500, you should know how much it's worth in prime shape first and then know how much it will cost you to get it there. If the sum of the $4,500 and the latter number are greater than, or equal to,what it would be worth in prime condition, it's no bargain. In that case, either offer him less or pass on it, since you could buy a prime car for the same, or less, money and save yourself all the hassle and risk. Just my $.02.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

if it's too good to be true, then it is. walk away from it and save yourself the frustration and $$$. be patient and a better deal will come your way...

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i wouldnt waste the money, the money spent fixing it will be close to the cost of a nice new LS1

White
    2001 Camaro Z-28

If you don't buy it then I will. You can't tear up an LS1 that easily! An LS1 can go from a 14 second car to a 12 second car just by fixing drivability problems. If it runs like sh*t then have the ignition system checked out at a shop. If it misfires it will run like sh*t! These are easy fixes. A big problem would be a rod knocking or lifter noise. The tranny can be fixed with a simple rebuild. The rebuild kit comes with new syncros and bearings. A new performance clutch is a must anyways so there is a simple decision there. If it is still sluggish after that then spray that B*tch with a 150 dry shot. The OBD II will compensate for the NOS I promise! Step up the injectors to 36 or 42 lbs and spray that small block into the low 11's.....it will be fun....hold on and wear your seatbelt! Take care. -Tom.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

If you don't buy it then I will. You can't tear up an LS1 that easily! An LS1 can go from a 14 second car to a 12 second car just by fixing drivability problems. If it runs like sh*t then have the ignition system checked out at a shop. If it misfires it will run like sh*t! These are easy fixes. A big problem would be a rod knocking or lifter noise. The tranny can be fixed with a simple rebuild. The rebuild kit comes with new syncros and bearings. A new performance clutch is a must anyways so there is a simple decision there. If it is still sluggish after that then spray that B*tch with a 150 dry shot. The OBD II will compensate for the NOS I promise! Step up the injectors to 36 or 42 lbs and spray that small block into the low 11's.....it will be fun....hold on and wear your seatbelt! Take care. -Tom.
    i agree, but if u dont have the extra money then dont buy it

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Well I work at a machine shop and every LS1 that comes in has a burned intake valve. So I am guessing when the MAF went out it caused a lean condition and burned a valve.

So I think I am just going to get a loan for the rest of the money and get a nice SS. Because who knows how many other things could be wrong with it.

Anybody have an SS or a Trans-am the want to get rid of for less than $12,000? I don't want an automatic.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

check the car for sale section. plenty to choose from. good luck...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    if it's too good to be true, then it is. walk away from it and save yourself the frustration and $$$. be patient and a better deal will come your way...
    Exactly what Brian said, word for word.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

How do I get to the "cars for sale section"?

Awaiting Activation

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

^ lol, guess that helps

Thread Information