Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

CME for sale...tips only

I've got a never installed set of CME tips. (They are the tips only, no elbows or Valance) They were sitting around for another project I had, but it never materialized. Now i'd just like it gone. The lips are highly polished and have great shine to them.

I'm asking $450 obo for the tips, and i'll split shipping with you. (I spent slightly more for the tips and shipping, but i'd like them gone)

If you're looking for a valance, I've got a friend who sells them (re-pro's), and I might be able to hook you up. i can ask him.

Thanks!

iTrader

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Are theses the knockoff tips off Ebay? Or genuine?

iTrader
    2 (100%)

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Are theses the knockoff tips off Ebay? Or genuine?
    These look exactly like the ones currently on my car, which I got from SLP.

I got these for a project that never happened, but i got them new in box from a guy, and my understanding was that they were not the ebay knock-offs.

Are there any tell-tale signs?

This one has the same weight, same beautifully polished lips, both have the 2 bars between the tips, have the same color, even the ends look the same.

iTrader

red
    1997 corvette c5

kxs

iTrader
    17 (100%)

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

They are Ebay knock offs. Still a very nice product and very sturdy.

iTrader

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sommer86 View Post
    These look exactly like the ones currently on my car, which I got from SLP.

I got these for a project that never happened, but i got them new in box from a guy, and my understanding was that they were not the ebay knock-offs.

Are there any tell-tale signs?

This one has the same weight, same beautifully polished lips, both have the 2 bars between the tips, have the same color, even the ends look the same.
    I'm not positive, but I believe the SLP should have some markings. The Ebay ones don't. I just bought a set of Ebay knockoffs for $160 and they look identical. I was just wondering if they were genuine cause if they were, they look just like the knockoffs. I'd even say the knockoffs look better than some of the SLP ones I've seen.

iTrader
    2 (100%)

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Like I said, these look identical to my first set of tips that I got directly from SLP. I'd say there was no differences, but these 2nds tips might have had "shiny-er" lips.

Other than that, the SLP tips didn't have any kind or markings or casting difference. Therefore, i'd say that these are also real tips.

The only other thing i've heard of is that some of the knock-offs only have one bar between the tips.

iTrader

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

The only other thing i've heard of is that some of the knock-offs only have one bar between the tips.
    Not sure on that. Mine have 2. I know some of the SLP tips only had 1.

iTrader
    17 (100%)

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

SLP tips only had one small bar closest to the exit of the tips which was a common breaking point. The large brace is an add on piece which is a knock off. Read up on the tips in the Camaro SS section.

iTrader

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    SLP tips only had one small bar closest to the exit of the tips which was a common breaking point. The large brace is an add on piece which is a knock off. Read up on the tips in the Camaro SS section.
    Yea, don't really need to read up on em...SLP actually added a second brace on the later ones from what I've read.

iTrader
    17 (100%)

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Yea, don't really need to read up on em...SLP actually added a second brace on the later ones from what I've read.
    No, this is not true. If you want to know more about this, PM me so we do not jack this thread up anymore and I will give you some history.

iTrader
    2 (100%)

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

BUMP for the weekend...and my tips are best offer.....dont be shy guys.

I dont mind the thread hijack as long as we're educating people with the right info.

I agree strongly!

But I know that SLP added a second, THICKER bar in the rear.... because mine just came from SLP in April. So, i know for sure, lol. Or at least I know of 2 sets that did!

iTrader
    17 (100%)

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

BUMP for the weekend...and my tips are best offer.....dont be shy guys.

I dont mind the thread hijack as long as we're educating people with the right info.

I agree strongly!

But I know that SLP added a second, THICKER bar in the rear.... because mine just came from SLP in April. So, i know for sure, lol. Or at least I know of 2 sets that did!
    How did you get them from SLP when they have been discontinued for a long time?

iTrader
    2 (100%)

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

How did you get them from SLP when they have been discontinued for a long time?
    I know 2 guys... who are pretty connected there.

iTrader
    No, this is not true. If you want to know more about this, PM me so we do not jack this thread up anymore and I will give you some history.
    98Z is correct, only the one bar was a factory SLP tip. Mine is a factory CME car and is also this way (1 support bar) All the cars that were originally produced with CME will have 1 support bar,,,,thats not to say that they sold many over the counter after 2002 but they have been discontinued for at least a year or more from SLP.
    The knock offs have the extra bar,,,and I've also seen some factory SLP tips that people have done a shitty job of adding another bar. I never understood the extra bar, Mine as well as a few others I know have never broken with the original single support,,,I would guess people are backing up into curbs and what not. Also the factory CME tip cars have a slightly fatter and more pronounced polished tip and also appears thicker as well. Looking at the close up shot of the top,,,you can see how thin the lip is,,,,factory tips are much thicker here.
    Either way they are a decent copy that resemble the originals. I've seen them up close and personal. Much better than the cheap sheetmetal tips that are also floating around. Not knocking your tips,,,just trying to help a potential buyer. They are by far the best ones out there so far compared to other stuff floating around. Bump for ya.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-22-2008 at 08:47 AM.

iTrader

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    98Z is correct, only the one bar was a factory SLP tip. Mine is a factory CME car and is also this way (1 support bar) All the cars that were originally produced with CME will have 1 support bar,,,,thats not to say that they sold many over the counter after 2002 but they have been discontinued for at least a year or more from SLP.
    The knock offs have the extra bar,,,and I've also seen some factory SLP tips that people have done a shitty job of adding another bar. I never understood the extra bar, Mine as well as a few others I know have never broken with the original single support,,,I would guess people are backing up into curbs and what not. Also the factory CME tip cars have a slightly fatter and more pronounced polished tip and also appears thicker as well. Looking at the close up shot of the top,,,you can see how thin the lip is,,,,factory tips are much thicker here.
    Either way they are a decent copy that resemble the originals. I've seen them up close and personal. Much better than the cheap sheetmetal tips that are also floating around. Not knocking your tips,,,just trying to help a potential buyer. They are by far the best ones out there so far compared to other stuff floating around. Bump for ya.
    I think they did come with it. Hell, Sommer, just said his came straight from SLP with the extra bar...

iTrader
    I think they did come with it. Hell, Sommer, just said his came straight from SLP with the extra bar...
    Well did he buy it new??? This stuff is easily added. It could be that his car is factory equipped and it's listed in the door sticker, but something happened along the way and it needed replaced, so another one was purchased and installed. Without being the original owner there is no way to know for sure.
    I haven't come accross an original owner car yet with CME that had both support bars.

Would need a close up pic of his car with the tips. As I said,,,,the ebay knock offs are easily spotted, not so much for the 2 support bars,,,,all you have to do is give a close look at the polished lips from a side view.
    As you can see in his pics,,,those lips are very thin, almost rounded off with very little polish to them on the sides.
    The factory tips are much thicker here and more squared off and pronounced from the front area, nearly 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick with a high polish just like the front.
    Not knocking them,,,they are just not exact,,,but as I said, much better than the sheetmetal stuff floating around.
    Shucks I've been looking for originals myself, just to store away,,,,but I've been tempted to buy some knockoffs to stick on the car and take the originals off as well,,,I'm afraid someone will rearend me and destroy them,,,I wouldn't be so upset if the CME was aftermarket.

iTrader

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well did he buy it new??? This stuff is easily added. It could be that his car is factory equipped and it's listed in the door sticker, but something happened along the way and it needed replaced, so another one was purchased and installed. Without being the original owner there is no way to know for sure.
    I haven't come accross an original owner car yet with CME that had both support bars.

Would need a close up pic of his car with the tips. As I said,,,,the ebay knock offs are easily spotted, not so much for the 2 support bars,,,,all you have to do is give a close look at the polished lips from a side view.
    As you can see in his pics,,,those lips are very thin, almost rounded off with very little polish to them on the sides.
    The factory tips are much thicker here and more squared off and pronounced from the front area, nearly 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick with a high polish just like the front.
    Not knocking them,,,they are just not exact,,,but as I said, much better than the sheetmetal stuff floating around.
    Shucks I've been looking for originals myself, just to store away,,,,but I've been tempted to buy some knockoffs to stick on the car and take the originals off as well,,,I'm afraid someone will rearend me and destroy them,,,I wouldn't be so upset if the CME was aftermarket.
    He said he bought them new from SLP with it.

iTrader
    2 (100%)

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

From what i'm reading here, i think i just came up with whats happened here....

If you had an original SLP optioned CME car, then you had the older style 1 bar tips. (My car isn't an original optioned CME car) If you broke your tips or got a new set, from SLP in the later years, then your tips would have a second thicker bar, for support.

I believe the knock offs come with 2 bars to look different from the SLP tips, but since the later, 2nd run tips from SLP had the second bar added, they now look alike.

My friend's got the stainless tips, and they only come with one bar, but it broke within 3 weeks from the stress and bumps. He put in a second bar for support, and now it looks/works flawlessly.

My tips (the ones on my car, but not the factory optioned tips) are directly from SLP, and came with a second bar. My second set of tips look EXACTLY like my SLP tips and, from what I'm told, are real tips, but theres no way to really tell, as they look like the others. if you'd like pics, i can supply a couple.

Bump...

iTrader
    17 (100%)

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Take it from me. I know what was availalbe from the factory and what wasn't. I have spoken with head guys at SLP in person regarding this subject. I myself was attempting to reproduce these so I have done more research than you could amagine.

If anyone tells you that they got these from SLP around a year ago, they are full of shit cause they were not available.
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 11-23-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information