Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Z06 crash while drag racing

Z06 crash..... too much power for him I think.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Looks like it got loose on the shift into second.

Then his sphincter probably got loose too.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

noobie drivers FTL.

Reminds me of this video, similar movement but worse outcome:

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

never too much power. just not enough traction

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    never too much power. just not enough traction
    Agree! + not enough skill = totaled car......

red
    2002 ss camaro

Click on irocs link watch the one that says 6 die in drag racing crash see if a carls junior ad comes up says you get what you deserve pretty rough caption for that situation.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Agree! + not enough skill = totaled car......
    yup, its the lack of skill when the car breaks loose or too much speed that kills. not the power. if a 250 horsepower car breaks the tires loose and the driver doesnt know how to properly correct, you can still crash. the car broke traction. dont matter if it was 250 horses or 800. add some speed into the mix though........ i dont care how good you are, its very hard to correct a car that gets squirrelly once you get goin fast enough. which makes my point, traction is key lol

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by knappbunch View Post
    Click on irocs link watch the one that says 6 die in drag racing crash see if a carls junior ad comes up says you get what you deserve pretty rough caption for that situation.
    WOW What a bunch of idiots to stand that close to a dragster thats going that fast. They kinda all deserved to die but.........oh well, they will get their shit coming to them. That is the stupidest, most idiotic, dumbest shit I have seen. To stand ground level with a crazy dragster
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    WOW What a bunch of idiots to stand that close to a dragster thats going that fast. They kinda all deserved to die but.........oh well, they will get their shit coming to them. That is the stupidest, most idiotic, dumbest shit I have seen. To stand ground level with a crazy dragster
    that was a publicity deal...it was just supposed to be all show but the driver screwed up.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Out-of-control drag car kills 6 during Tenn. parade

By Will York
    Associated Press

SELMER, Tenn. — There were no guard rails between the crowds of spectators and a public highway where a drag-racing car bolted out of control, killing six people during a charity fundraising event.
    The Tennessee Highway Patrol declined to make any statement today about road conditions or safety procedures during the Saturday evening parade of cars.

"It ain't really safe to do anything with drag cars on a city street," said 19-year-old spectator Garett Moore, who said he was about 15 feet away from the wreck, but was uninjured. "They shouldn't have done it."

Tennessee Highway Patrol spokesman Mike Browning said the six who were killed included two 15-year-old girls and a 17-year-old girl. The accident injured 18 others, including a 5-year-old boy, who were taken to hospitals in Tennessee and Mississippi.

Authorities on Sunday identified the driver as pro drag racer Troy Warren Critchley, an Australian who is now based in Wylie, Texas. He suffered minor injuries and was taken by car to a nearby hospital for treatment.

There were no criminal charges against Critchley, Browning said.

Mourners placed small votive candles, flowers, a teddy bear and a ceramic angel at the crash site Sunday.

The crash happened during an "exhibition burnout" _ when a drag racer spins his tires fast enough to make them smoke _ at the Cars for Kids charity event in Selmer, located about 80 miles east of Memphis.

On amateur video of the crash, broadcast on WMC-TV in Memphis, the car's engine is heard revving loudly before the vehicle speeds down the highway. After a few hundred feet, the car skidded off the road in front of a drive-in restaurant.

Selmer Police Chief Neal Burks said "bodies were flying into the air when it happened."

There was a guard rail along at least part of the highway, but not along that stretch.

Drivers of other dragsters in the parade had been spinning their tires and then accelerating quickly, but everyone else put on the brakes before going past the guard rails, Moore said.

"This is definitely not the kind of road you should be drag racing on," Moore said. "This isn't a flat open surface like you have at a race track."

Nick Staples, who was at the show with his wife and three children from Columbus, Miss., said he was standing 20 feet from where the car plowed into the audience.

"There should have been guard rails," Staples said. "But even if there had been, it wouldn't have mattered."

The Highway Patrol said Raven Griswell, 15, of Finger; and Sean Michael Driskill, 22, of Adamsville, died at the scene. Four others _ Brook L. Pope, 20, of Selmer; Scarlett Replogle, 15, of Selmer; Kimberly A. Barfield, 17, of Adamsville; and Nicole Griswell, no age or hometown given _ died later in area hospitals.

About 40,000 to 60,000 people had been expected to attend the weekend event.

After a parade of everything from antique cars to modern dragsters, Moore thought the show was over.

"I was about to head across the street, and I saw him barreling toward us," he said.

Matthew Brammer, administrator of AMS Pro Modified Series, which sanctions drag races, said Critchley had driven the car involved in the wreck in competition.

Critchley's Web site said he began his career in an engine building shop in Brisbane, Australia, in 1986, and then raced on the Australian circuit in the '90s. He moved to the United States in 1998. By late Sunday afternoon, the Web site carried a message saying it was not available.

Cars for Kids holds several events throughout the nation and raises close to $200,000 annually for charities that help children in need, according to its Web site.

A statement posted on the Web site Sunday offered an apology to the victims and their families: "The loss is deep within our hearts and we will carry the scars of each loss forever."

The charity was formed in 1990, two years after founder Larry Price's son, Chad, suffered a severe head injury in a bicycle accident. Price promised that if his son was saved from lifelong injuries, he would spend the rest of his life raising funds for disabled children, according to the Web site

red
    2002 ss camaro

did anybody else get the carls jr ad at the bottom of the youtube video or was it just me? Must have been random timing it won't come up again.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I thought this video was more entertaining.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    noobie drivers FTL.

Reminds me of this video, similar movement but worse outcome:

Look at the carb linkage, he didn't let out at all it looks like

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post

That was 120mph at most.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

What a waste...

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post

Biggest POS Vid I seen.

1st of all. he had no front tires, so there is no way he was doing 165mph
    2nd, top speed for LT1 Corvette was 157mph
    3rd, the Crown Vics were right behind him, so again no way that was 165mph
    4th, how the hell does the helicopter records the sounds of all the sirens, tire screeching and the crash being 500 feet above them?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by FSANE View Post
    4th, how the hell does the helicopter records the sounds of all the sirens, tire screeching and the crash being 500 feet above them?
    Those are always superimposed in the audio on those "Worlds scariest police chases" shows.

I remember the first time I lined up on the dragway. Launched too hard, wheelspin, then into the guard rail!!!

Then I got up and turned the game off!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    yup, its the lack of skill when the car breaks loose or too much speed that kills. not the power. if a 250 horsepower car breaks the tires loose and the driver doesnt know how to properly correct, you can still crash. the car broke traction. dont matter if it was 250 horses or 800. add some speed into the mix though........ i dont care how good you are, its very hard to correct a car that gets squirrelly once you get goin fast enough. which makes my point, traction is key lol
    I hear what you're sayin' but it looked like he was full throttle into the guard rails. That is panic, and panic behind the wheel of anything can be deadly.. In my eye's panic is = poor driving skill.. IMHO

I've only been in 2 accidents in 18 years, and in both cases I was trying to save it. Never paniced and had enough sense to let off the gas and steer it. Scratch that + one fender bender. Had an ex gf I was racing come to a complete stop on a blind corner. (she was winning)
    I came around the corner @ just over 70 mph, locked it down. Realizing I would'nt get stopped before I hit her hard from behind, I stepped off the brake and drove around her just clipping her driver tail light with my passenger front turn signal area. Had I paniced I would most likely have plowed her hard and flung her into the Penn Dot worker standing there with a stop sign.. Had a split second choice to make, either stand on it and hope for the best, or drive the car. Just me though I've never had that tendancy for panic @ the point of no return so to speak.
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-24-2009 at 04:12 PM.

NBM
    1998 Z-28

poor Z06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information