Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Younger generations don't say 'thank you' very much

I have noticed for the past couple of years, a growing phenomenon when I interact with younger folks (under 30). No matter if it is directions being asked for, me holding a door, letting a pedestrian walk in front of me at crosswalks, whatever, I RARELY get any type of acknowledgement to thank me for the effort. Then I started paying attention to others with me who were also not being thanked. It was just as common with them. In some instances, what I do for a living was known, sometimes it wasn't, but the results (or lack of) were similar.

I'm a white male, 41 years old, 6'3", 270 pounds. Not the most handsome man on the planet, but I ain't the elephant man either. I try to be polite to everyone. Everyone. I say thank you, or the like, when I am on the receiving end of courtesy.

What I have found in all this, is that the "thankless" bunch are invariably younger than thirty, seem to be either gender, and blacks are more prone to it than any other race.

I want to know why this is. I'm saying it is intentional. It's not like they are distracted, they are just refusing to be courteous. This is not a race/gender/age thing on my part, but I'm beginning to think it may be some sort of social insult on the part of others.

Anyone else seeing this?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

I think i've seen a lack of curtousey in general these days. People not holding the doors for others, not using a turn signal to merge. I blame it on cell phones

Black
    2005 GTO

I totally agree with you there is just a common lack of respect and courtesy from the younger generation. Not only do you not get thank you but most the time they won't do the same for you such has holding a door for you.

I am only 22 but am an exception to this I always say thank you or at least give acknoledgment especially to the older generation.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    I think i've seen a lack of curtousey in general these days. People not holding the doors for others, not using a turn signal to merge. I blame it on cell phones
    True. But when YOU hold the door, or take a couple of minutes to give directions that THEY asked for, you would think "thanks" or "appreciate it" would be an easy thing.
    Last edited by jad628; 03-12-2007 at 05:22 AM.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I totally agree with you there is just a common lack of respect and courtesy from the younger generation. Not only do you not get thank you but most the time they won't do the same for you such has holding a door for you.

I am only 22 but am an exception to this I always say thank you or at least give acknoledgment especially to the older generation.
    And it certainly isn't all younger folks. As a matter of fact, when they do acknowledge a courtesy, I am very quick to tell them they are quite welcome.

That's my normal response when I don't get a thank you. I very loudly say "You're welcome". You should see some of the dirty looks I get!!!

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

blame it on the parents for not bestowing morals, values and general respect for others in the upbringing of their children...

parents need to step up and set the positive examples...

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    if you are going to blame cell phones then you need to blame technology in general. we survuved thousands of years without cell phones, pc's, and the internet. im sure we can do the same again...

the negative side to technology is that it takes away from family and strictly focuses on the self...

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    blame it on the parents for not bestowing morals, values and general respect for others in the upbringing of their children...

parents need to step up and set the positive examples...

You are the most profound "Lite-Brite" user I know!!!

Well said.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    if you are going to blame cell phones then you need to blame technology in general. we survuved thousands of years without cell phones, pc's, and the internet. im sure we can do the same again...

the negative side to technology is that it takes away from family and strictly focuses on the self...
    A lot of truth in that too.

Red
    02 T/A WS6 M6

T.V these days also has a negative impact on the younger generation today. Look at all the famous stars which the younger generation looks up to? They want to be like them,dress like them and in most cases act like them in every way.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    You are the most profound "Lite-Brite" user I know!!!

Well said.

thanks, im tired and dont care to get started on the downfall of American Society this early in the morning...lol

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Up here in Canada the opposite is true.

Everyone is (mostly) very polite even here in redneck southern Alberta!

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

blah. see sig. every older generation thinks the current generation is just going straight to hell, then scream to get off their lawns.
    Modulistics post rating system. How did your post score?

epic
    +1
    fail
    epic fail

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    blah. see sig. every older generation thinks the current generation is just going straight to hell, then scream to get off their lawns.
    For once, just once, would you actually answer the posed question rather than just come in and stir?

You're welcome.

gray
    07 duramax

For once, just once, would you actually answer the posed question rather than just come in and stir?

You're welcome.

settle down. sheesh.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    settle down. sheesh.

Okay, I'm settled down.

Now have you, or have you not, witnessed a growing tendency of younger folks that seem to intentionally avoid saying thanks or generally being polite? Not just a slip-up, but a 24/7 mindset.

Thanks in advance.

gray
    07 duramax

Okay, I'm settled down.

Now have you, or have you not, witnessed a growing tendency of younger folks that seem to intentionally avoid saying thanks or generally being polite? Not just a slip-up, but a 24/7 mindset.

Thanks in advance.
    nope. older folks sure get cranky though. lol.

Black
    Impala SS

I have noticed this as well...a very disturbing trend for sure.

Honestly I think it has alot to do with the current upswing in "thug" or "hip hop" culture. It's simply not cool to be polite and courteous anymore. I mean if some sidways hat wearin', baggy about to fall down jeans sporting mofo was to actually say "thank you" or "excuse me", it would be a total contradiction to the "life style" he is so erroneously trying to emulate.

I think for every degree off that a hat is not worn straight forward or facing straight back, the wearer looses 20 points per degree of his/her IQ...

I dont know whats wrong. Ive only been alive for 28 yrs - what I have noticed in my personal experience is that when I am having a bad day people can tell. I tend not to interact with people as much, to include not looking at them. When I am feeling good, as I do most of the time, I do tend to interact with people - smile, hold open doors, make eye contact etc...

So what I am saying is, that a lot of the time - how you carry yourself, your mood (as others perceive it), your stature, as compared to those that you are interacting with, tend to effect how they treat you. Seeing as to how youre 6'3 and not a slight person - maybe you intimidate people a little more than the normal person. Just a thought. Since - the only time I notice a real lack of courtesy is when my mood or actions dictate it. For the very large part - I am polite and show courtesy to people and they return it. Just my experience...
    Last edited by Kmcrlyn; 03-12-2007 at 07:20 AM.

gray
    07 duramax

what I have noticed is that I dont offer to shake hands as much, becuase I dont want to touch people.

i think it means the younger generation is fubar.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information