Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Young People (Relatively)

I've wasted some spare time thinking this week. What do you think of people in general who are at least a few years younger than you? Are they objectively worse than their elders? Do you know many younger adults? I remember reading dozens of comments online where older generations were trashing younger generations. I have that tendency and wonder if it's common no matter what type of person you ask.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i think it's common, and always the same from generation to generation. i tend to be like that too, but i think it's total nonsense.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

It's called the Generation Gap

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

what, gap has it's own generation? i usually just buy t-shirts there...

A lot of people are stupid / don't give a shit in todays world. If they have kids they will learn the same and the kids will be just as dumb as their parents.

Black
    99 Z28

I'm seriously glad I'm not having kids. Most anyone younger than my generation They're getting so progressively bad. Their grammar is pathetic. Their intelligence is lacking. They can't think for themselves. They're flakey and completely unconcerned about the other people around them. They can't do for themselves. They can barely read or write anything. I have a niece that when she set up her FB account, actually SPELLED HER OWN NAME WRONG.... and doesn't care enough to change it. I know a few good kids, but for the most part, it's scary to think that these generations will be taking care of me when I'm older. The Idiocracy movie doesn't seem as far fetched as it might have been intended to be.

People my age are pretty scary too. I think my parents generation are the last group that could you could rely on consistently for anything.

My co-worker said that we should be at the point where we're getting into flying cars and technology like that was predicted by now in the 70s. If people didn't lose their sense of personal responsibility or intelligence in the last 4 decades, it'd be possible for sure. Now, the accidents that would happen in that type of scenario will prevent us from having a flight to work for many decades to come.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I think each generation after say...1930-40? Got progressively worse, but I think in the last 10-20 years it's taken a definite tumble.

Kinda depends on who you hang out with too though.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I take a little different approach.......I think pretty much all people I come into contact with are idiots. Doesn't matter how old they are....I can find all ages acting like idiots or just be oblivious to what's going on around them.
    Example:
    I go to pick my daughter up at school Thursday. I pull in the parking lot and this woman is putting her daughter in her child seat next to me as her daughter gets out about 5 minutes before mine ( different age group). As she walks around to put her in I smile and wave her on because there wasn't room for our doors at the same time. She buckles her daughter in. About that time a buddy walks up and starts talking to her so she sits there with her door open and carries on a conversation with this chick while I wait in the truck. After a couple minutes I just open my door like I'm gonna bash it into hers. She says "Oh.....sorry." WTF??? Did you not pay attention to the fact that I waved you on being courteous to you? Are you stupid or do you think that no one else needs to be anywhere. I run into this type stuff all the time. Just people being oblivious or stupid. This lady was probably 45 years old so ignorance is not just a problem young people have. Actually, young people are just inexperienced and not ignorant. Older people tend to just be ignornant.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I take a little different approach.......I think pretty much all people I come into contact with are idiots. Doesn't matter how old they are....I can find all ages acting like idiots or just be oblivious to what's going on around them.
    Example:
    I go to pick my daughter up at school Thursday. I pull in the parking lot and this woman is putting her daughter in her child seat next to me as her daughter gets out about 5 minutes before mine ( different age group). As she walks around to put her in I smile and wave her on because there wasn't room for our doors at the same time. She buckles her daughter in. About that time a buddy walks up and starts talking to her so she sits there with her door open and carries on a conversation with this chick while I wait in the truck. After a couple minutes I just open my door like I'm gonna bash it into hers. She says "Oh.....sorry." WTF??? Did you not pay attention to the fact that I waved you on being courteous to you? Are you stupid or do you think that no one else needs to be anywhere. I run into this type stuff all the time. Just people being oblivious or stupid. This lady was probably 45 years old so ignorance is not just a problem young people have. Actually, young people are just inexperienced and not ignorant. Older people tend to just be ignornant.
    One thing that really pisses me off is when i hold the door open for someone and they don't even say thanks.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Ha, I do that in Omaha and they don't even use the door, they open the other door.

Any other smaller town and they say a sincere thanks.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    I've wasted some spare time thinking this week. What do you think of people in general who are at least a few years younger than you? Are they objectively worse than their elders? Do you know many younger adults? I remember reading dozens of comments online where older generations were trashing younger generations. I have that tendency and wonder if it's common no matter what type of person you ask.
    yes, absolutely yes. i'm 17 and my peers are almost as bad. All are pretty bad however. Video games 24/7, no respect for parents etc.

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Video games 24/7, no respect for parents etc.
    That's the parents own fault.
    Buddy's kids who are in their teens now tell him off like you wouldn't believe. I'm like WTF!!?!?!? If i swore at my parents growing up i'd still be bleeding.

1981 g-Body

no discipline nowadays.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by x-40oz-x View Post
    That's the parents own fault.
    Buddy's kids who are in their teens now tell him off like you wouldn't believe. I'm like WTF!!?!?!? If i swore at my parents growing up i'd still be bleeding.
    well, all behavioral problems stem from parents up to a certain age. So my generation has terrible parents? My parents spanked me, didn't do whatever it is they were disciplining me for again

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by x-40oz-x View Post
    no discipline nowadays.
    I've said it before... It's all that damn assbiter Dr. Spock's fault. He told a new generation of parents to never say no to their children because it would stifle their creativity. And now we have all these damn child psychologists who spout the same nonsense. "Only use positive influence to reward good behavior, never use negative reinforcement to punish bad behavior"... what the hell does that accomplish? It just teaches kids that they won't get in trouble for doing whatever they want. Kids are not dogs. That kind of training may work for pets, but not children. Idiots. So now we have a new generation that's more self absorbed and entitled than ever before.

That avatar, wow.

Anyway, I do think generations have been declining, and I do blame the parents. When I was nearing the end of high school, I sensed there was something different and bad about the kids a few years younger than me; in hindsight, soulless, probably, similar to the feeling I get around sociopaths. Those young'uns were unreliable, shallow, lacking real empathy - and they never outgrew it. That generation since has been studied and labeled narcissistic. I was thinking about how few people I've become close to who were more than two years younger than me. The intelligence was fine - I don't think any significant IQ decline has happened yet. However, in all of them, I saw some very contemptible characteristics; since I can't put up with that stuff, eventual end of friendliness. Even the younger generation in my extended family seems rotten. I prefer people who are slightly older than me.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

That avatar, wow.

Anyway, I do think generations have been declining, and I do blame the parents. When I was nearing the end of high school, I sensed there was something different and bad about the kids a few years younger than me; in hindsight, soulless, probably, similar to the feeling I get around sociopaths. Those young'uns were unreliable, shallow, lacking real empathy - and they never outgrew it. That generation since has been studied and labeled narcissistic. I was thinking about how few people I've become close to who were more than two years younger than me. The intelligence was fine - I don't think any significant IQ decline has happened yet. However, in all of them, I saw some very contemptible characteristics; since I can't put up with that stuff, eventual end of friendliness. Even the younger generation in my extended family seems rotten. I prefer people who are slightly older than me.
    mine?

I think technology has really hurt people and the internet being the biggest problem.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    I think technology has really hurt people and the internet being the biggest problem.
    text messaging especially. I'm the only person I know who calls people

1981 g-Body

Those young'uns were unreliable, shallow, lacking real empathy - and they never outgrew it. That generation since has been studied and labeled narcissistic. I was thinking about how few people I've become close to who were more than two years younger than me. The intelligence was fine - I don't think any significant IQ decline has happened yet.
    There is people like that in all generations too though, like the mom in Orion's story. The sad thing is it's just getting worse as time goes by. Just think about how ignorant people are gonna be 2 generations from now.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information