Thread: XLR Info

1966 Corvette Coupe

XLR Info

Hey guys I'm trying to upgrade and sell the vette... One consideration for my next car is an XLR... I dont really like the drive train in them too much, but I was thinking i could make do with it... BUT i do have a few questions...

Can a 6 speed swap be done? im more worried about the computer rejection it more than any thing and i dont know if they use the same comp/tuning software as an LS1.

also the 4.6 isnt a strong block and i dodnt want to put a 4.4 in it... sooooo ive been considering a 100k+ mile car and doing an ls series engine swap on it... this will also allow me to replace alot that i would have hated to take out of a car in good shape... like seats (that are heated and cooled), i think racing buckets woudl look good in there... and if the interior is the wrong color no big deal it prolly needs replaced...

what all would i have to change besides the motor and tranny (once again 6 speed)

I'm assuming the motor harness, will the comp have to be swapped or just retuned? if the comp has to be swapped what all will i loose? will i loose the addaptive cruise?

i would not get a high mileage one if the price isnt right... I would want to basically save enough over a 30k mile one to make all the changes. soooo basically $25k or so...

-me

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

All I know is that the underpinnings are essentially all Corvette so the drivetrain swap probably wouldn't be too physically dificult. Find a wiring harness off a junkyard or wrecked Vette and try that. Are you really going to be using the Adaptive Cruise anyways? I would assume most LS1.com users actually pay attention when they're driving.

Or you could try to find a wrecked XLR-v and pull the motor from it. It's got a blown 4.4.

1966 Corvette Coupe

im mainly a bit leary of the whole idea of the vvt...

well that and the lack of performance parts available for the XLR... and a 4.4... come on i was thinking more a blown 6.0...

-me

p.s. and you gotta admit that the cruise would be sweet... set it like 10 over... whenyou run up on traffic it slows till a gap opens up... then it goes right back... or if you were following someone just set it to match them and chill...

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Ugh, that would be a picky bitch of a swap...

First off, the swap shouldn't too hard to pull off, and make drive, but the devils in the detail when it comes to keeping all of your features and shit. As for your adaptive cruise... highly unlikely. While its possible that its controlled by the BCM rather then the ECU, I really doubt it. That cruise would need to combine speed sensors with engine control, as well as radar sensors... and all the coding to process that information... You might get lucky as it could be complicated enough that they dedicated a separate cpu for it entirely...

Also, I'd be worring about the drivetrain... I don't know about the XLRs rearend or anything, but the LS2 would prolly blow it to pieces.... upgrading to the Vs rear end would be strong enough.

Well, thats all I've got, and its pure conjecture, but use it as you will

Awaiting Activation
    make sure u drive one before you take this idea any furthur. I have driven my uncles several times, and it does not impress me. Besides the lack of power it just feels like an old mans caddy- Not a sporty ride at all. Though the power folding hardtop is awesome.

1966 Corvette Coupe

the lack of power is the main thing (and lack of 6 speed)... the ride can be fixed... they dont even have rear sway bars...

-me

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

I wouldn't be surprised if the rear end isn't similar or identical to the Vette's. Swap shocks and sway bars from a Vette for handling.

The linkage might be a biznatch to the transaxle.

Do any of the Caddy trucks have the adaptive cruise? If they do, grab the electronics and the 6.0 or 6.2 from there.

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

what the fuck is Adaptive cruise and why is it such a big deal?

Thread Information