Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

xbox 360 questions

i'm finally looking at picking one up...seriously this time. previous deals to get one fell through (freebies and cheapies) and so i'm thinkin what the hell.

the g/f's brother is big into online play as is one of my other friends...modern warfare 2, halo, black ops...and i wouldn't mind doin that either with some of my free time. sims 3 came out recently for the console and my g/f loves the sims series on pc. plus we could do streaming netflix. i'm making the tally marks and it's all adding up to go get one.

now the question...

xbox 360 4GB or xbox 360 250GB. which is better and why. what are the pros and cons of each? to smoothly run the games does one really need the 250 gig model? price is the big difference here as well...$100 between the two models. being a poor college student...both me and the g/f...and seeing as how she may or may not kick in much towards this as we are going to jamaica come january and she is applying to grad schools...well..price is making the 4 gig model look nice, but i don't want to sacrifice performance at the same time. is the 250 gig model just nice to have so that one can save more game info on the physical hard drive and for downloading games or is there some other added performance benefit?

thanks!

impulse blue
    06 GTO

inquiring minds also want to know.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

if you plan to play live then the 250... if you plan to play solo games by your self take the 4...

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    if you plan to play live then the 250... if you plan to play solo games by your self take the 4...
    i do plan on doing some net gaming with the g/f's brother and a couple other people.

can you go into more detail in this regard of the 250 over the 4 for online live gaming?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

from my understanding you can copy the game directly on to the HD so it runs faster than running it off of just the CD...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    i do plan on doing some net gaming with the g/f's brother and a couple other people.

can you go into more detail in this regard of the 250 over the 4 for online live gaming?
    Its just memory. but even if you just want to play games 4gb is too small. Take the game forza 3, it has a 2nd cd to download so you can have all the tracks and cars. My buddy recently bought a 4gb and he bought forza 3. Dowloaded the 2nd cd and now he only has a little over 1gig left. Then he started playing fallout 3 and downloaded some stuff for that and now he has no memory left. So the memory does go fast. I have a 60gb and I have music, a couple top gear episodes and 3 games downloaded to the hard drive and I only have 18gigs left. I hear you can use flash drives on the new ones or even an external hardrive if you wanted to go through the trouble.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

would a used elite model with a 120 gig be a good option at $160 even without a factory warranty?

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

PS3

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I don't have a 360, but a PS3 250gb one and I'd suggest you go with the 250gb 360 just to be safe.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i see that there is no point in getting up early and going out to the black friday sales then as all the package deals that are on sale are the 4 gig models.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

would a used elite model with a 120 gig be a good option at $160 even without a factory warranty?
    You can usually get a used xbox with hard drive, 2 controllers, and a couple games for about 150-170 off craigslist. But then your buying used which could be bad or very good. Bad if it was modded and is now ban from xbox live or has some other issue. Good if its a working order never tampered with xbox because then you get the same thing as new but for much less.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Consider this possibility though.

Red. Ring. Of Death.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    You can usually get a used xbox with hard drive, 2 controllers, and a couple games for about 150-170 off craigslist. But then your buying used which could be bad or very good. Bad if it was modded and is now ban from xbox live or has some other issue. Good if its a working order never tampered with xbox because then you get the same thing as new but for much less.
    how can you tell if it's been modded at all? and if i buy the unit and hook up to xbox live with an account under my name then won't it work? or do they lock out the units themselves from the servers? that'd be a dick move. reason i ask is cause a friend of mine owns a pawn shop and he's got 2 pretty decent looking elite's down there with controllers that he'd sell me for $160.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post

Red. Ring. Of Death.
    everything i've looked at points that that being an early xbox 360 issue with first gen motherboards and such with the issue largely taken care of in the pro and elite models and no known problems with the new slim designs since they use different parts.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post

Red. Ring. Of Death.
    the brand new 360s's the black slim ones that have the 250g hd's are a new platform, completly redesigned, and are rumored to be rrod free now, as they redesigned the parts that normally failed

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Good to know.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

just poking around on an xbox forum as well and it says that if a console has previously been banned that the information as to why the ban took place will not be disclosed and if you purchase the console 2nd hand and have no knowledge of the unit having been banned that it is still banned and that a console ban is permanent with no recourse even if you are an unknowing 2nd owner. that's bullshit. looks like i'll stay away from he pawned ones just cause that makes me leery on that now.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I would never buy a used game console.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

just poking around on an xbox forum as well and it says that if a console has previously been banned that the information as to why the ban took place will not be disclosed and if you purchase the console 2nd hand and have no knowledge of the unit having been banned that it is still banned and that a console ban is permanent with no recourse even if you are an unknowing 2nd owner. that's bullshit. looks like i'll stay away from he pawned ones just cause that makes me leery on that now.
    What kind of price are you expecting to get during the black Friday sale?

I'm actually looking into getting one too. I just got an email from Walmart this morning that had the 4gb at $279 and the 250gb at $100 more like you said.

I haven't done any research for comparison prices yet. I'll try and get to that later on.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    What kind of price are you expecting to get during the black Friday sale?

I'm actually looking into getting one too. I just got an email from Walmart this morning that had the 4gb at $279 and the 250gb at $100 more like you said.

I haven't done any research for comparison prices yet. I'll try and get to that later on.
    You should get a PS3 instead so I can kick your butt on COD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information