Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

WTF is going on???

In the past month, I have taken on, from a stand-still:

2013 body style Mustang GT
    2014 cadillac CTS V (the ugly hatchback, filled with 4 occupants)
    a 2003 body style mustang cobra
    a newer Porsche SUV

and have embarrassingly lost to every one of them. What gives?? My 02 WS6 is in perfect health, has a borla catback, a tune by frost, and i'm getting destroyed out there. The only thing I was able to beat lately was a newer V6 mustang. But that's expected.

I know my car is really old for whats out now, but I expected a little more spit-fire from the bird :P what gives

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

As far as the top two go they have way more power than you stock, were they modified at all? I mean the new mustang has around 100 hp on our cars stock plus your car is essentially stock based on what you said you have so that is kind of expected. The same goes for the cts-v except it is closer to 200 hp more. Not sure about the cobra or the porche. From the sound of it, it sounds like you were racing your stock car vs cars that have much more power which is why you lost.

It's modding time I would say.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Arizona is literally crawling with police... no way in heck I would line up against someone out there.

That being said, Will hit the nail on the head. Toss a cam in your car with some long tubes and you'll fare somewhat better against the competition.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

driver mod?

Like Will said time to invest in mods...

Black/ Silver

I would also throw on some 243 heads at a minimum if you do what Jeff suggested for mods and you should do significantly better.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Your car is worn out. I'll take it off your hands

98 Formula
    06 duramax

You need to set your sights a little lower. You have a basically stock car running high HP cars. Need to get a little closer to them power wise.

Black/ Silver

Swap in a 454....game over for all lol. In all seriousness though, figure out your plans as far as power goals and make a plan on how to get there.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 04-05-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    As far as the top two go they have way more power than you stock, were they modified at all? I mean the new mustang has around 100 hp on our cars stock plus your car is essentially stock based on what you said you have so that is kind of expected. The same goes for the cts-v except it is closer to 200 hp more. Not sure about the cobra or the porche. From the sound of it, it sounds like you were racing your stock car vs cars that have much more power which is why you lost.

It's modding time I would say.
    The cobra's are in the upper 400 range stock and with a few mods right into 5-600+ and the SUV if I remember correct are over 500H.P.
    Mods, mods, mods, but not just to the motor the suspension will need upgraded as well so they all work together. Start doing some research on what others have done and start throwing some money at her and you can make a serious super car depending on your budget.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

lol looks like in the end I will have to be dishing out 4 digits for these parts and labor. Sounds like heads and cam is the popular thing though. For the cash i'd be dishing out i'd only be getting, what, 30+ hp gains? A new motor...idk I mean I don't wanna mess with the car TOOO much to the point of no return.

I've yet to do a new airlid and ported tb. there's my next step

Jeff in the 4 years i've had the silver bird, speeding practically everywhere I go, and racing on occasion..I've yet to get even pulled over. But nor have I crashed or anything. I'm invisible

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    lol looks like in the end I will have to be dishing out 4 digits for these parts and labor. Sounds like heads and cam is the popular thing though. For the cash i'd be dishing out i'd only be getting, what, 30+ hp gains? A new motor...idk I mean I don't wanna mess with the car TOOO much to the point of no return.

I've yet to do a new airlid and ported tb. there's my next step

Jeff in the 4 years i've had the silver bird, speeding practically everywhere I go, and racing on occasion..I've yet to get even pulled over. But nor have I crashed or anything. I'm invisible
    heads and cam....30HP?? Closer to 100 than 30.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This.

I had an Arizona officer hit the lights and give me a finger shake as I approached from the opposite direction. I had just crested a hill and he was right there. I was probably going 10-15 mph over the limit at the time. I jumped on the brakes but he just shut the lights off and kept going the other way.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

oh damn! What does that do to reliability?? And the cars rear end is weak as sin X( that can't be good for anything

hahaha never had anything like that once the benefits of having a shiny silver car

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If the build is done correctly, and you don't go nuts on cam lift and spring pressures, there should be no impact on reliability.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you would probably be fine on the rear for a while if you don't launch hard on it with sticky tires. Not sure if you're an auto or a stick but if auto you'd also want to look at a stall......actually the stall should already have been done.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Something back there is banging when I hit the gas pedal a little hard. I'm getting that checked on whenever I get my ac fixed. No sticky tires were necessary for that its an auto. How much gain would I see from a stall converter?

Jeff I wouldn't have the first clue about that. T-rex cam sounds nasty but I heard that was a really heavy one

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    Something back there is banging when I hit the gas pedal a little hard. I'm getting that checked on whenever I get my ac fixed. No sticky tires were necessary for that its an auto. How much gain would I see from a stall converter?

Jeff I wouldn't have the first clue about that. T-rex cam sounds nasty but I heard that was a really heavy one
    3400-3600 stall will get you about 1/2 second in the quarter. You'll probably want to go through the tranny and do some mods there to support it (Stainless steel shell vs Aluminum stocker for instance) as well as a shift kit and zero out Torque Management + tuning...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

you'll want to match that to the cam and heads you plan on getting.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Another thing. Your IATs must be almost through the roof in AZ.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I give Rich, what is an IAT?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information