Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Thumbs down Won a lawsuit...but now what?

Short story: some jagoff [username: 02sunsetSS] conned me out of $245. I took him to court and won it back plus court fees. It was no contest, the dude actually didn't show up to court....who doesn't show up to a freakin small claims trial?!?!

Court says we'll both get a letter in the mail but it's up to me to get the money off of him, [wtf was the point of the court then?] Sarge showed me a nice website that kinda helped, saying i can put a lien on his property/car get to him via bank account, but my biggest issue is; i only know this guy by name, a cell phone and at best his mother's home address [which he moved away from]

How the hell am i supposed to go after someone that I really don't freakin know? It's not like he'll volunteer his personal bank or loan/credit info to me. I've asked the court, and they told me I'm on my own b/c it's a cival claim and they wont' help me.

I feel your pain. About 4 years ago two girls (14 and 16years old) stole a car and hit mine. They did about $2,000 in damage to my car. I tried to get money from the owner of the car since she actually knew the two girls, only to find out she had no insurance. I then went after the dad of the two girls. I got a lawyer and he advised me of what you are finding out now. I went to the court house and was looking into doing a lien against his home. According to tax records his piece of shit home was worth $7800. I drove by and checked it out and it was a major dump. I figured I would never get nothing so I dropped it. Had to pay my deductible which was high. Nice to see laws are being passed to help the innocent people.

Red
    '02 WS6

you're boned. I, on the other hand, recieved compenstaion in the form of a hundred dollar check every few months for a year or so after some dickhead stole my car. It was from some Victims compensation fund. I got the car back with minimal damage which I was able to repair for less then a hundred...

Welcome to the American justice system. Why don't you just have the judgement framed, that is probably all you are ever going to get anyway. Ever tried to get money out of someone in bankrupcy? All I ever got out of that one was about 20 letters from his lawyer telling me that I wasn't ever going to get anything.

"now,you pissed us off!!" Trouble maker's Avatar
    Good luck..you will have a better chance getting struck by lightning while waxing your car holding a 4 foot metal pole!The only thing that will be affected is that he/she will have a judgement on their credit report.The great thing about this is that you actually took the time and pursued,and that shows intent.If He/she would have showed up in court,the judge could have imposed a wage garnishment on the spot,but that is why 90% don't bother to show up.They know how to beat the system...sad but true..Good luck anyways!

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble maker View Post
    Good luck..you will have a better chance getting struck by lightning while waxing your car holding a 4 foot metal pole!The only thing that will be affected is that he/she will have a judgement on their credit report.The great thing about this is that you actually took the time and pursued,and that shows intent.If He/she would have showed up in court,the judge could have imposed a wage garnishment on the spot,but that is why 90% don't bother to show up.They know how to beat the system...sad but true..Good luck anyways!
    you're avatar/profile title is how i feel right now...

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

have you talked to ED, to see what he can do?

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

A lein is the way to go. It may be years, but you''ll get it back.

I assume for $245 its' about principle, so it should be worth the wait. And when he finally sells off his house, it'll slow down the process because of the lein.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    have you talked to ED, to see what he can do?
    Banning of the member wont get Thirdiph's money back.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Banning of the member wont get Thirdiph's money back.
    haha...

i think zoso is thinking, can EDinator can hack into him for me.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    haha...

i think zoso is thinking, can EDinator can hack into him for me.
    Yea, maybe that could happen. Who knows?

92 K Blazer/'03 H-D Deuce

The judgment should automatically attach to real property (assuming that he owns property) in the county it was filed in. If you know where he works, you can get a writ from the court and garnish wages in Ohio. Im not sure what county your in, but use this website www.netronline.com to Identify real property. If you really wanted to enforce the judgment, Foreclose on his house! Its only a small judgment though, prolly not worth the extra time and attorneys fees and court costs. The judgment should show up on his credit and lower is credit scores.

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

I was able to find his address, I PMd it to you.
    you told me yourself he was getting a new job, send him a letter to his house with copy of judgement explaining how you are going to request his new boss to garner wages. I imagine he will be quite helpful to you from that point on.

be careful though, dont make it harrassing, or he will sue.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Mod, thank you so much and thank your g/f for me too! that was a pimptastic move.
    i'm gonna try the bank route too.

Impounded
    go to his mother's house. tell her you're his old friend, Scott, and you wanted to get his address so you could do a surprise visit on him. have a last name made up in case she asks for it. go to his address, ring the bell, and when he opens, bust your way in, pull out a gun, and ask for your money.

Thread Information